TNT Grandma's Flatbread (Scandinavian)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CWS4322

Chef Extraordinaire
My grandmother always had a tin of this in the cupboard at Christmas time. We ate it plain--you can butter it.

1 pint whipping cream (not whipped)
1/3 c granulated sugar
2 tsp melted lard (must use lard)
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 c graham flour (you can get this at health food stores)
3-1/2 - 4 c AP flour

Directions:

1. Mix ingredients in the order given.
2. Roll out on floured pastry cloth--mine has red markings on it.
3. Roll in a large square. The secret is you have to be able to read the markings on the pastry cloth through the dough--then it is thin enough.
4. Transfer to an ungreased baking sheet. Prick with a fork.
5. Bake at 350-375 (depends on the oven) until crisp (about 3-4 minutes, you don't want them brown, you want them crisp).
6. Cool on a rack and break into pieces about 4" x 4".
7. Store in airtight container.

No, I don't think so. The graham flour has a distinct texture--it has these brownish/tan flakes in it. And, graham crackers have other ingredients. I could send you a cup! I ordered mine from a place in MT when I was home because I couldn't find it anywhere and really want to make flatbread this year. I'm sending a box to my folks and flatbread is one of my mom's favorites. Between the two of us, I think it took us 5 years (well, annually at Christmas time) to decipher how my grandma (her mom) made this. The hardest part was getting the hang of the thickness and how smooth the dough has to be before you roll it...gotta love people who jot ingredients but no measurements or instructions!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom