Toad in the hole

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nina-gold

Assistant Cook
When I make sausage toad the yorkshire never rises above the sausages. I use the same recipe for individual yorkshires which rise really well. Am I doing something wrong.

I use 7ozs milk, 3ozs water, 4ozs Plain flour, 2 eggs, mustard, salt and pepper.

Hope you can help

Nina

nope, what actualy happens is that the sausage cannot get up to the temp required to make it rise properly, so you get a "Local cooling" effect.
there`s little to nothing that can be done about it other than ensure they`re Mega hot when you add the mixture and also well spaced out between each.
beyond that... well that`s just Toad in the Hole :)

Nina, welcome aboard. As you say your recipe works well for individual puds but not with the sausages.

I take that to mean you are making the toad in the hole in a larger pan and not in individual dishes.

All I can think of is that the oil is not hot enough, or there is not enough of it, when you make the toad in the hole. Could always try to make a Yorkshire pudding using the larger pan and seeing how it goes. And varying things a bit until you have it down. The ingredients are fairly inexpensive if you leave out the meat and would guess in a couple of hours of playing with it you will find a great solution.

Oh yes, and make sure the sausages are at room temp.

Anyway just what I would do.

Otherwise I have nothing to offer.

When you figure it out please let us know. Love Yorkshire pud and toad in the hole.

Again welcome to the forum.

Started this before YT posted, yep, great advice.

Thank you for your input - forgot to say that I double the ingredients for toad in the hole. I think it probably is a temperature problem. Will try again and make sure its very hot and that bangers are room temp.

Cheers
Nina

Hi.. I cook my sausages.. and have them pretty much well done before i add my yorkie mix. I usually make a sausage style casserole and make sure there is plenty of gravy so that the yorkies rise..

Back
Top Bottom