Too Much Salsa!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

WhateverYouWant

Sous Chef
I often use a jarred salsa as a base for fresh salsa. Casera was my go to brand, but recently saw a ATK taste test that recommended "Chi Chi's", so I ordered a jar online. What I received was a 48oz tub of it, which I will never use before it goes south.

Any thoughts about dividing the lion share of this into portions and freezing? Or will it just be like tasteless mush when thawed?

I have frozen jarred Salsa. Not the really chunky style - it was OK.
I put it in sandwich baggies. Being alone there is no way I can finish even a small jar.

I have frozen salsa, most always. I seldom use a whole jar for our dinners for two. I've not had any disappointments with texture, etc..

Ross

I freeze cooked salsas, made with tomatoes or tomatillos, and they are fine, even after a generous amount of time. But most of mine are not the chunky type (except the fresh tomato ones), so I don't know what it would do to the texture of those.

The texture may not be great, but the flavor will be fine. If you don't like the texture, you could blend it smooth or use it as a base for soup.

Thanks guys, but after tasting this I'm not interested in preserving any of it. All I taste is salt and citric acid. There is no sweetness from the tomatoes, onions, or peppers. Casera is way better, Pace is better, even La Victoria is better.

ATK taste tests have now failed me on peanut butter, vanilla ice cream, and now jarred salsa (that's 1 for 4 lately). Unsure whether I will ever take them seriously going forward.

Thanks guys, but after tasting this I'm not interested in preserving any of it. All I taste is salt and citric acid. There is no sweetness from the tomatoes, onions, or peppers. Casera is way better, Pace is better, even La Victoria is better.

ATK taste tests have now failed me on peanut butter, vanilla ice cream, and now jarred salsa (that's 1 for 4 lately). Unsure whether I will ever take them seriously going forward.

I never take anyone seriously if they are being paid to promote products.

I don't watch or follow America's Test Kitchen, but I do read the related publication Cooks Illustrated. They test products in a scientific way, by setting up experiments that compare the same thing from several different manufacturers. They determine in advance what they will test; if it's a food, as opposed to a tool or appliance, they do double-blind taste tests with other members of the staff. I trust that method.

GG, I thought you were one of their recipe testers?

Scott, never heard of any of the brands you've mentioned for the Salsa. Guess it's a local thing.

Which reminds me, I found one thing about some of the stuff ATK tests is that much of it is very localized for their area.

funny thing is how personal a persons taste is. I love chi chi's salsa.

This is why we tend to steer people away from being over the top about hating foods or dishes. Everyone is different and just because one person hates something doesn't mean it isn't someone else's personal need.

Except Brussel sprouts... no way ANYONE could like those.. :LOL:

GG, I thought you were one of their recipe testers?

Scott, never heard of any of the brands you've mentioned for the Salsa. Guess it's a local thing.

Which reminds me, I found one thing about some of the stuff ATK tests is that much of it is very localized for their area.

You're right, I am. Anybody can apply to be a tester, though. It's fun, but I've only actually done a few.

Cooks Illustrated deliberately chooses products available nationally, although sometimes they're comparing, for example, American-made Italian cheeses to Italian imports, so which Italian brand they use might not be available everywhere.

GG, think I mentioned once before I applied as a tester but never received a response. After my 2nd try I gave up thinking because I was over the border. But also a little disappointed that they didn't even respond, even if just to say they couldn't (for whatever reason) use me.

FrankZ - poor you, are you also someone who can't abide chocolate? The 2 of you should go for counselling. Chocolate and Brussel Sprouts almost even go together! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

...Except Brussel sprouts... no way ANYONE could like those.. :LOL:
Bacon. Lots and LOTS of bacon. Himself is a sprouts fan. He can eat them just lightly cooked and maybe buttered. Me? I've gotten creative in the ways to cook them to avoid making two veggies every time he gets sprouts. But bacon (and sauteed mushrooms) is my favorite. LOTS of bacon.

Bacon. Lots and LOTS of bacon. Himself is a sprouts fan. He can eat them just lightly cooked and maybe buttered. Me? I've gotten creative in the ways to cook them to avoid making two veggies every time he gets sprouts. But bacon (and sauteed mushrooms) is my favorite. LOTS of bacon.

Plus 1, +1, and +1 again. :LOL:

don't recall if I've ever added mushrooms but I sure will next time!
Thanks!

No need to ruin good bacon with sprouts.... :LOL:

Back
Top Bottom