Tortilla thickness

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tacotech

Assistant Cook
Hi all,

I am considering buying a wooden tortilla press (for corn tortillas). Most sellers (at least on Etsy) have them with either 1/8" or 1/16" gap between the plates. I am wondering if anyone has examples of tortillas made with one or the other size.

The reason I am asking is because I want a press that gives me the thickness of a standard packaged corn tortilla (e.g., Guerrero or Mission).

Regards!

Omar

My opinion is that the commercial corn tortillas I've seen are closer to 1/16th of an inch.

I've never measured either corn or wheat ones, but have to say the ones I've had are pretty much the same thickness with what I would guess is the 1/16th.

1/8th sounds a bit thick to me, especially for a corn tortilla, wouldn't it be a little more difficult to bend? or use as a wrap?

My favorite corn tortillas (by far) are Guerrero White Corn, and I just measured one (thawed from frozen) at 0.112 inches (which is very close to 1/8"). Plus I am guessing thawed from frozen causes them to lose a little volume, so 1/8" is gonna be real close to the thickness of fresh.

I've never measured either corn or wheat ones, but have to say the ones I've had are pretty much the same thickness with what I would guess is the 1/16th.

1/8th sounds a bit thick to me, especially for a corn tortilla, wouldn't it be a little more difficult to bend? or use as a wrap?
They get more flexible when you toast or steam them.

We have a metal press and my corn tortillas are a lot thinner than the commercial ones, even when I make flour tortillas. We're having tacos tonight in fact.

Welcome to the forum!

I have some El Paisano tortillas in the fridge - one of my favorite brands from the Mexican grocer - so I took that package out, and measured out 1" of them, and it was 12 tortillas. 13 was just over an inch. These are a good thickness - not overly thick, like some, and not too thin, to break easily, like some.

I got a cast aluminum press, many years ago, and this 1/12" was about the thickness of the tortillas it pressed out. Another, smooth aluminum press I have presses them much thinner, more like 1/16" - not great for corn tortillas, but good for some other things, like dumpling skins.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom