Tourtiere

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Good morning ladies, I hate a soggy bottom so when you say "pie shells" does this mean a blind baked bottom?

Good morning ladies, I hate a soggy bottom so when you say "pie shells" does this mean a blind baked bottom?

No, I bake my pie crusts at the same time as the tourtiere. But, the the meat mixture isn't wet when I put it in the pie crust and doesn't get wet while baking. Never had a problem with soggy.

Tourtiere is traditionally served with gravy or home made ketchup. Some people like baked beans on the side.

Bolas, I've guided two sisters through doing this, two years ago over the phone, this year on the internet with the youngest. No, I've never blind-baked, and the bottom has been always crispy and flaky (as I said, I gave up on making the pastry part years ago and buy it in the dairy fridge). Neither of my sisters have had a problem with soggy bottoms either. I didn't ask what kind of pie pan they used, but I use a clear Pyrex one, so I can look at the bottom and see when it is golden, so I don't take it out too early. Remember, the filling is already cooked when you put it in the pie pan. To me the "secret", whatever you use for thickener, it to make sure the meat filling is almost as thick as you want it before baking, so you don't wind up with a lot of unthickened meat juices running into the bottom.

Believe it or not, some of the elders in my family (long since passed away) used to just put raw ground pork between the pie crusts and bake.

Well, I'm sitting here in the after-glow of a good holiday season, just after sending my inexperienced guests home with full bellies of tourtiere.My sisters picked up the torch, to re-visit an old tradition, and to introduce the younger generations to it. For me the one ingredient all of you have told me about is savory, and every year I swear I'm going to grow some or buy some, but find myself cooking and ... well, you know how it goes. My husband just went back to have a big slice before going to bed. In my family, this dish was always accompanied by beets of some sort. Does anyone know the tradition behind that, or, for that matter, even heard of it? Since I was fitting a Canuk dish around a diverse ethnic group, I made a large plate of pickled vegetables for the main side. That went over like gang-busters as well, they just loved it. As you all know, tourtiere isn't exactly a "lite" dish. But if anyone else has heard of beets as a side to tourtiere, let me know. I'm just assuming that it is when you're freezing your tootie off, and don't have stuff like lettuce and tomatoes going around, root veggies work!

Last edited:
Well, I'm sitting here in the after-glow of a good holiday season, just after sending my inexperienced guests home with full bellies of tourtiere.My sisters picked up the torch, to re-visit an old tradition, and to introduce the younger generations to it. For me the one ingredient all of you have told me about is savory, and every year I swear I'm going to grow some or buy some, but find myself cooking and ... well, you know how it goes. My husband just went back to have a big slice before going to bed. In my family, this dish was always accompanied by beets of some sort. Does anyone know the tradition behind that, or, for that matter, even heard of it? Since I was fitting a Canuk dish around a diverse ethnic group, I made a large plate of pickled vegetables for the main side. That went over like gang-busters as well, they just loved it. As you all know, tourtiere isn't exactly a "lite" dish. But if anyone else has heard of beets as a side to tourtiere, let me know. I'm just assuming that it is when you're freezing your tootie off, and don't have stuff like lettuce and tomatoes going around, root veggies work!

Not sure about the beets, but I think they are traditional. They certainly go well with it. You are probably right that it's cause fresh leafy veg is hard to come by in winter. Home made ketchup is also traditional with tourtière. I'll ask on LiveJournal Montreal.

I like to test my leetle gray cells, so my Quebecoise cookbook is ... well, ... yes.... in French. There must be a dozen recipes for tourtiere, but almost all of the say "Cuire au four, a 350 (175c) jusqu'a ce que la pate soit bien doree. So I put in on and start looking after a half hour. The clear pyrex dishes let me look to the bottom until the pate soit bien doree. Until the crust is golden. Try explaining that to my sisters!

Pastie recipe

I will submit my recipe in a day or so. If anyone wants to try it. I use beef and pork roast together, chopped but not ground. And, I use thyme leaves and basil with onion powder, garlic powder, white pepper. I use the seasoning in the meat/veggie mix and in the dough. As the traditional recipes use. An egg white wash on top for golden brown product. And I use turnips finely diced mixed with potatoes, celery and onions. If you don't use the turnips its not really a true traditional pastie. They blend nicely with the potatoes.

I forgot about mentioning adding some diced rutagagas in with turnips. Not too many- just gives the mixture a bit of a bite.

Not sure about the beets, but I think they are traditional. They certainly go well with it. You are probably right that it's cause fresh leafy veg is hard to come by in winter. Home made ketchup is also traditional with tourtière. I'll ask on LiveJournal Montreal.

Please do get a recipe for the homemade ketchup! An ex-boyfriend's mom used to make tourtiere with the best homemade ketchup. She grew up in the Gaspe area.

Please do get a recipe for the homemade ketchup! An ex-boyfriend's mom used to make tourtiere with the best homemade ketchup. She grew up in the Gaspe area.

Oh, I meant I would ask what was traditional to serve with tourtière. I forgot to ask. Thanks for the reminder.

I could post the recipe I use. My Québecois friends really liked it, as do I.

Oh, I meant I would ask what was traditional to serve with tourtière. I forgot to ask. Thanks for the reminder.

She always had the ketchup on the side. I don't recall but vaguely think she also served gherkins...I remember a topnote of clove in her ketchup.

While you're asking--a C-pie recipe?

And, I'd be interested in your catsup recipe.

Please do. The more recipes for meat the better, IMHO.:pig:

Chow Chow is a must in the southern states during canning season. My friends in North Carolina and Tennessee can alot of it. It's a great condiment. I make a relish from green tomatoes when I have too many in the garden. Tastes similar.

Chow Chow is a must in the southern states during canning season. My friends in North Carolina and Tennessee can alot of it. It's a great condiment. I make a relish from green tomatoes when I have too many in the garden. Tastes similar.
Popular with the French Canadians too! I wonder if the Acadians brought it down there....:mellow:

We always have green chow chow, which is a green tomato relish. Sweet and tangy with thinly sliced onions in there. My mother still makes it.
This is basically the recipe but my mother never put ginger in it. Google Image Result for http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_E5OZqFOd2Qg/SrqHHanhcRI/AAAAAAAADcs/vKFsWmZJZSo/s400/IMG_0015.jpg
My DH calls this green tomato relish and MUST have it on mac and cheese. I'm not partial to it, but he MUST make some each year specifically for mac and cheese...

It is killing me that I cannot remember what my mom's family called green tomato relish, but it wasn't chow chow, that's what they called it in the south U.S. Oh! There, the little green cells kicked in. Picalilliy (heaven knows how it is spelled). Mom says my pepere Daneault made it. I don't remember eating it with tourtiere; I'll have to ask her. I DO remember making it one year before Gram died and I thought we'd die crying because the onions were particularly strong.

Beets were (and in my house, are) always eaten with the tourtiere. I think probably simply because it is a vegetable that would last through the winter, and that's when we traditionally ate tourtiere. My Quebecoise cookbook has about a dozen recipes for tourtiere.

I, too, would like to see a recipe for home-made catsup. Ketchup. Whatever!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom