Traditional Soul Food as requested by jkath

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Smothered Chicken

1 large chicken, cut up
2 large onions
1 cup cooking oil or bacon grease
All purpose flour
Seasoning salt and pepper
Green onion tops
1 ½ qts water or water mixed with chicken broth
Dredge seasoned chicken in flour and brown in oil. Remove and brown onions in oil. Put chicken back in the pot and add 1 ½ quarts water. Let cook until chicken is tender, stirring to be sure it does not stick. Should be a thick gravy. Ten minutes before serving, add chopped onion tops.

Buttermilk Pie

1 -9 inch pie shell (homemade or frozen--deep dish)
3 eggs
1 stick softened butter or margarine
2 cups sugar
3 tablespoons flour
1 cup buttermilk
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
dash (1/8 teaspoon) nutmeg

Beat eggs slightly, mix together flour and sugar and add to eggs. Mix in butter, buttermilk, vanilla and nutmeg. Mix until well blended. Pour into shell and bake 350 degrees until golden brown.

PASTA SALAD

1 pkg. 'curly' pasta
1 large green bell pepper (chopped)
1 medium onion (chopped)
2-3 firm tomatoes (chopped)
1 can sliced black olives
1 1/2 cups diced Cheddar Cheese
1-2 bottles Zesty Italian Dressing

Cook pasta according to directions (I like mine a little firm) Cool. Mix all other ingredients together & add to pasta. Then pour dressing over & toss to saturate the pasta. This will need a large bowl with lid, as you need to stir every now & then to make sure the flavors blend well.

Catfish Stew 15--20 generous portions.

10--12 pounds catfish, dressed
10 pounds potatoes
2 pounds thin sliced breakfast bacon
3 1/2 pounds onions
salt and pepper
tabasco sauce
1 cup water

Fry the bacon, crumble, set aside and reserve drippings. Peel and slice potatoes and onions. pour one half of bacon drippings into large pot--with tight fitting lid. Place a layer of potatoes, a layer of onion, and a layer of fish. continue to alternate layers until ingredients are used up. Add salt, pepper, dash of tabasco, water, and crumbled bacon over each layer. place lid on pot. when pot gets hot, lower heat and cook 4 1/2--5 hours. Do not stir.

Canned Spicy Tomato Soup

1/2 bushel tomatoes
1 garlic clove
7 onions
1/2 lb. butter
14 strips of celery
1/4 cup salt
14 strips of parsley
1/2 teaspoon pepper
14 bay leaves
1 1/2 cup brown sugar
21 cloves
2 cup flour

Combine the first 7 ingredients in a large kettle and simmer until soft, then press through a sieve. Add the butter, salt, pepper and brown sugar and cook for 10 minutes. Mix flour with enough water to make a thin paste. Add to the tomato mixture and bring to a boil. Put into hot, sterilized jars and seal. Process pints for 20 minutes and quarts for 30 minutes at 10 pounds pressure.
:chef:

Thanks Chocolate, great recipes (but I think I'll pass on the pickled pigs feet, don't like anything pickled except sweet pickles) looking forward to more more more.

Ok Spice!

Southern Comfort French Toast

2 loaves of bread
1/3 cup sugar
3/4 tsp. cinnamon
1/3 cup Southern Comfort
7 eggs
2 cups Half & Half
1/4 tsp. salt
2 Tbsp. butter
2 Tbsp. oil
Mix all ingredients (except the bread) in a large bowl until smooth. Grease fry pan / skillet with shortening or butter. Dip (DO NOT SOAK) slices of bread in the batter and fry on both sides until brown. Remember to grease the pan before each batch.

Homemade Chocolate Pudding

1 c. sugar
1 Tbsp. cornstarch
1 Tbsp. flour
1 c. milk
1 c. evaporated milk
2 egg yolks
2 Tbsp. cocoa
1 Tbsp. butter
1 tsp. vanilla

Combine sugar, flour, cornstarch and cocoa, gradually stir in the evaporated milk and then add regular milk. Cook over medium heat until mixture starts to thicken. Add some of hot pudding to the egg yolks and beat well. Return yolk mixture to the pudding. Cook at least 2 minutes over medium heat until thick. Remove from heat; stir into butter and vanilla. (Can be used to make chocolate cream pie.)

Coleslaw Yield: 3 Servings

2 Tb Super Fine Sugar
2 Lb Cabbage
1/2 Ts Celery Seed
1 C Mayonnaise
1/2 Ts Salt
1 C Sour Cream
Pinch White Pepper
2 Tb Vinegar
Cut Cabbage into Quarters and Cut out Core. Slice Cabbage into Long Thin Slices. Mix Mayonnaise, Sour Cream, Vinegar, Sugar, Celery Seed, Salt and Pepper in a Large Bowl. Add Shredded Cabbage and Toss Lightly.

PEACH FRIED PIES

2 (6 oz.) pkg. dried peaches
1/2 c. sugar
2 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp. ground nutmeg
pastry
vegetable oil
PIE CRUST FOR FRIED PIES

2 c. plain flour
1/2 c. Crisco (not quite 1/2 c.)
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. soda
1 Tbsp. sugar
1 Tbsp. vinegar
1/2 c. water
Makes 10 pie crusts
Cook peaches according to package directions; drain and mash. Combine with sugar, lemon juice and spices. Roll out pastry. Cut into 5-inch rounds. Place 3 tablespoons of peach filling on half of each round. Moisten edges with water. Fold in half, pressing edges together with a fork to seal. In skillet, fry pies in 1-inch of hot oil at 375 degrees until golden brown on each side, and make sure you turn only once. Drain well

Fried Okra Patties

1 pint cooked okra
1 egg
1 teaspoon salt
4 tablespoons flour
2 tablespoons cornmeal
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
4-6 tablespoons cooking oil
Drain okra and mash well; add egg and mix together. Add salt, pepper, flour, corn meal, and baking powder and mix well. Drop by tablespoonfuls into hot oil. Fry until golden brown on both sides. YIELDS: 14-16 patties

OLD FASHIONED NECKBONES

10 lb. fresh pork neckbones
4 beef or chicken bouillon cubes
4 Tbsp. salt
3 qt. water
4 c. coarsely chopped onions
1 Tbsp. black pepper
2 tsp. crushed red pepper
12 fresh carrots, peeled and halved
1 tsp. thyme leaves
Wash neckbones thoroughly in cold water and place in large pot. Pour in water; add bouillon cubes, onions, salt, black pepper, crushed red pepper and thyme. Cover pot and bring to rapid boil; lower flame and simmer until meat is tender and pulls away from bones easily, about 3 hours. Add carrots during the last 1/2 hour of cooking. Serves 10 to 12.

DAD’S FAVORITE NECKBONES AND SAUERKRAUT

5 lb. of pork neckbones
1 onion, chopped
2 large cans sauerkraut
salt pepper
celery seed to taste
Cover neckbones with water. Add the onion and celery seed. Let simmer until the water is almost gone and the meat is tender. Drain the sauerkraut and rinse in a colander. Place sauerkraut on top of neckbones. Add salt and pepper to taste. Simmer until the water has gone almost to the bottom of the pan (about 35 minutes). Serves 6.

Oh my. I want all of these :pig: Think I'll try the neckbones first, then the french toast, I"m in Soul Food Heaven.

I am curious about not soaking the french toast. I've always soaked. :question:

Last edited:
I like pickled pigs feet :pig:

Homemade chocolate pudding - my absolute favorite thing when I was little. It was sheer torture waiting for it to cool in the refrigerator.

Elf,
My sister loved them, too. I have tried them, but can take or leave them. The rest of these recipes look wonderful. I can feel my arteries hardening, now. I just know I'll be making some of these soon.

COLLARD GREENS

1 large bunch collard greens
1/4 c. bacon grease
2 to 3 small smoked ham hocks
red pepper flakes to taste
1 tsp. salt or to taste
1 tsp. Sugar or to taste
Wash smoked ham hocks and place in Dutch oven or large pot. Add 1/2 gallon of water and red pepper flakes and simmer over medium high heat approximately 1 hour or until 2/3 of the water is gone and ham hocks are tender. Pick collard greens from bunch and discard excess stems. Cut greens into 1/2-inch strips, wash in 2 gallons of water. Wash greens 2 more times, place in colander to drain. Add greens to ham hocks and cover. Cook over medium heat approximately 10 minutes. Add bacon grease, salt and sugar. Cook approximately 30 to 45 more minutes or until tender. If okra is desired, add it about 10 minutes before greens are done.

Old Fashion Hot Water Cornbread

2 cups cornmeal
1/2 cup flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon cooking oil
1 1/2 cups boiling hot water
Blend hot boiling water well with cornmeal, flour, salt and cooking oil. Use a tablespoon to roll or pat in hands to make a patty. Fry in a small or medium size skillet. If you fry in a small skillet use 1/4 cup cooking oil. If fried in medium skillet use 1/4 or 1/8 cup cooking oil. Serves 8 or 10.

Chitterlings and Hog Maws

2 pounds hog maws (pig stomach)
2 pounds chitterlings (pig intestines)
3 quarts water
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon red pepper (flakes)
1 medium peeled onion (white or yellow)
a bay leaf or two
The hog maws are the thickest and will take the longest to cook. Rinse them thoroughly as you trim off the excess fat. Put them in a 6 quart pot along with your 3 quarts water, onion, pepper, bay leaf, and salt. Bring them to a boil, then reduce heat to medium and cook for 1 hour 15 minutes.

While maws are cooking, wash chitterlings thoroughly several times and trim the extra fat off them. Like most organ meats, they have a lot of fat. Open your windows and add chitterlings to pot after maws have cooked for 1 hour 15 minutes. Cook another 2 hours 30 minutes or until tender. Add a little extra water if necessary.

By now the hog maws and chitterlings should be thoroughly done and almost falling apart. You can serve them with your favorite side dishes such as greens, cole slaw, maccaroni and cheese, or rice. I actually prefer to eat them by themselves, with several splashes of hot sauce. However, they are fattening and it's tough not to eat too much. So you probably should have a side dish.

Store the leftovers in the refrigerator. Like so many other great soul food dishes, chitlins taste even better after the flavor has soaked in for a few hours. The leftovers won't last long

Old Fashioned Lemon Pie

1 (9 Inch) Pie Crust, Baked
5 Tablespoons Cornstarch
1 Cup White Sugar
1/4 Teaspoon Salt
2 Cups Water
3 Egg Yolks
2 Tablespoons Butter
5 Tablespoons Lemon Juice
2 Teaspoons Lemon Zest
3 Egg Whites
6 Tablespoons White Sugar
1 Preheat Oven to 350 Degrees F 2 to Make Lemon Filling: in a Double Boiler, Combine Cornstarch, Sugar, and Salt. Stir in Water, Mixing Well. Cook until Mixture Is Thickened, Stirring Frequently. Remove from Heat. 3 Place Egg Yolks in a Medium Bowl and Beat Well. Slowly Pour 1/2 Cup of Cornstarch Mixture into Egg Yolks, Whisking Constantly. 4 Pour Egg Yolk Mixture Back into Cornstarch Mixture in Double Boiler, Continuing to Whisk Constantly. Return Double Boiler to Heat and Cook Mixture 2 Minutes Longer, Stirring Constantly. Remove from Heat. 5 Stir Butter or Margarine, Lemon Juice, and Lemon Rind into Thickened Mixture. Allow Mixture to Cool, Then Pour into Pie Shell. 6 to Make Meringue: in a Large Metal or Glass Mixing Bowl, Beat Egg Whites until Foamy. Add 6 Tablespoons Sugar a Little at a Time, Continuing to Beat until All Sugar Is Incorporated and Whites Are Stiff. Spread Meringue into Pie Shell, Making Sure to Completely Cover Lemon Filling. 7 Bake in Preheated Oven for 15 Minutes, Just until Meringue Is Golden Brown. Chill Before Serving.

Chicken and Dumplings

1-5 Lb. Hen
1 Large Yellow Onion
1 Stalk of Celery
1 Large Carrot
2 T. Salt
1 Bay Leaf
8 Black Peppercorns
In a Large Stew Pan with Lid Place the Washed Hen, Onion Peeled Left Whole, Celery Cut into 3 Pieces, Carrot Break into Half, Salt, Bay Leaf, and Peppercorns into Stew Pot and Cover with Water2 Inches from Top of Pan.cover and Bring to a Boil and Turn down to a Simmer; Cooking until Tender. Remove Hen from Pot to a Platter; Cool until Able to Handle It. Give the Vegetables to Anyone That Will Help Debone the Chicken. Remove the Bay Leaf and Debone the Hen. Replace Meat Back into the Pan; Taste the Broth for Salt and Season Highly Because the Dumplings Will Be Cooked in This. To Have a Good Pan of Dumplings You Need a Good Rich Broth.

I think this would be so much better if you substitute chicken broth for the water.

Dumplings

4 C. Flour
1 T. Salt
1 1/2 T. Baking Powder
3 T. Cold Crisco
Heavy Cream
You Will Need Extra Flour to Roll the Dumplings out On.
In a Mixing Bowl Sift Flour, Salt, Baking Powder, and with Pastry Blender Cut in Shortening Until they are Small Pea Size. Now Add Cream until All Holds Together; it Usually Takes 1 C. or More. Knead the Dough about 20 Times. Cut into 2 Pieces Roll These into Balls and Flatten out to a Disk. Cover These with the Bowl and Let Them Set about 5 Minutes to Rest. Flour the Board with a Sifter Lightly; Roll Each Disk to about 1/8 Inch Thick. When You Roll the Dumplings Keep Lifting the Dough Ever Once in a While and Sprinkle a Little Flour under the Dough and on Top to Keep Them from Sticking to the Rolling Pin and Table. Cut into Long Strips about 1 1/2 Inches Wide; Take the Strips to the Low Simmering Broth and Pull off about 2 Inch Lengths Dropping Each into Broth. Keep this up until You Have Used All the Dough. You Will Have to Use Your Spoon to Push the Dumplings Aside to Add the Others. Be Careful When Doing this Because They Will Tear up If You Stir Too Much. Simmer These about 20 Minutes with the Lid Off. Then Sprinkle Them with as Much Black Pepper as You like. Add the Lid to the Pan and Turn the Fire down to Low and Let Them Cook for Another 20 Minutes. Make Sure the Fire Is as Low as You Can Get It. I like to Cook Mine and Then Let Them Set about 1 Hour Before We Reheat and Eat it Just Seems to Make the Dumplings Soak up Even More Flavor.

Old time Spring Greens

Salt Pork about 3"x3" the Night Before, Cut in Half, Take One Half Slice 1/4" Thick and Put in Water in Ice Box.

Any Type of Mixed Greens Will Work. Dandelion, Lambs Quarters or other wild greens, Turnips, Beets, Mustard, Swiss Chard, or Collards the More variety the Better.

Take a Big Pot Put Your 1/4 by 1/4 Salt Pork and Brown Then Add Water Bring to a Rolling Boil Put the Heaviest in First Smallest Last. Add Kosher Salt and Fresh Ground Pepper to Taste and Your Best Peppered Vinegar If You Want it, and Pepper Sauce. When, it Just Starts to Tender Take the Greens out Place in a Bath of Ice and Water. For a Couple of Minute Then Drain. Now, Take That Soaked Salt Pork Fry it till Crisp and Brown. Take Your Greens and Some Real Butter(unsalted) Fold till Butter Is Blended. Place in Bowl Some Greens Slice of Fried Salt Pork and a Slice of Corn Bread and Re-season to Your Taste.

Crackling Bread

1 ½ C Corn Meal
¼ C Flour
¼ C Lard
1 Lg. Egg
1 C Buttermilk
1 C Cracklings

Pre. Heat Your Oven with the 8 In. oiled Cast Iron Skillet in it to 400 Deg. Mix All Ing. Well and Then (Fold) in the Cracklings Note Do Not over Mix !!! Then Pour it in the Hot Skillet and Bake about 20 Min. Look and Leave till it Is a Deep Brown. Remove and Place a Plate over the Top and Flip it over . Serve with the Bottom Side Up.

Lemon Tea Muffins (8 Servings)

2 Eggs -- Separated
1/2 Cup Butter -- Softened
1/2 Cup Sugar
1 Cup Flour
1 Tsp. Baking Powder
1/4 Tsp. Salt
3 Tb.lemon Juice
For Topping: 1 Tb Sugar 1/8 Tsp. Cinnamon

In a Small Bowl, Beat Egg Yolks until Light and Lemon-colored, about 3 Minutes. In a Large Bowl, Cream Butter and Sugar. Fold in Yolks. Combine Flour, Baking Powder, and Salt; Add to the Creamed Mixture with Lemon Juice, Stirring Just until Combined. Beat Egg Whites until Stiff Peaks Form; Fold into Batter. Fill Muffin Cups 2/3 Full. Combine Topping Ingredients; Sprinkle over Muffins. Bake at 350 F for 20-25 Minutes.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom