Tzatziki Recipe Ideas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

larry_stewart

Master Chef
With my cucumber overload this year, and having guests over my house tomorrow, I decided to serve pita chip with tzaziki, hummus and muhammara dip as one of the appetizers.

Anyway, I've been searching Tzatziki recipes and in general, there is little variation. Cucumbers, greek yogurt, garlic, dill ( and or mint), lemon, salt and pepper, Olive oil.

Just wondering If anyone has any other recipes that may differ a bit ( not that Im opposed to making it the traditional way, just curious if there are any other takes on this).

Interesting question. Although I don't have an answer for you Larry, that is something I generally do too.

I may have 3 different recipes for one style but I always have to search and see if there is something else out there. :yum:

Interesting question. Although I don't have an answer for you Larry, that is something I generally do too.

I may have 3 different recipes for one style but I always have to search and see if there is something else out there. :yum:

Exactly. I have no problems with the traditional version or the recipe I've used in past, just curious if there are any other takes on it. I sure do have enough cucumbers to play around with .

All of the recipes I've seen are pretty much the same.

I've made it in a pinch with 'Merican yogurt by putting a coffee filter in a strainer and letting the excess water drain out for several hours in the fridge.

I usually use English cucumbers, but have also made it with regular cucumbers with the seeds removed. In either case you want to remove as much water as possible. I salt the shredded cucumbers and let them drain for an hour or two, and then squeeze more out by twisting the shreds in a plain kitchen towel. If I'm planning to use tzatziki as a dip I'll chop the shredded cucumber a bit more, as there are some longer pieces that come out of the box grater.

In Indian food, cucumber sauce is used as a cooling complement to the often-spicy main dish. It occurred to me that you could use tzatziki the same way, to counter spicy foods, by varying the seasonings. For example, you could make tzatziki and, instead of mint and parsley, season it with cumin, ancho chile powder and lime juice, then serve with tacos or tostadas.

If this sounds good to you, maybe we can brainstorm other combinations of flavors.

Is Tzaziki one of those tings that are better making the day before so it has time to sit and flavors blend? or better making fresh, day of ?
I think it's important to let it sit and blend flavors for at least a few hours. It gets better as time goes on, but I can't usually wait a full day [emoji38]

Does anyone have a TNT (tried 'n true) recipe for tzatziki? I love the stuff, but I have never actually made it myself.

Does anyone have a TNT (tried 'n true) recipe for tzatziki? I love the stuff, but I have never actually made it myself.
http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f76/tzatziki-greek-cucumber-and-yogurt-sauce-79903.html

I've been making this for years and we love it.

Tzatziki

3 cups plain yogurt, or 2 cups plain Greek yogurt (preferred)
1 medium cucumber, peeled, seeded and shredded
1 clove garlic, minced
1 tbsp. olive oil
1 tbsp. white vinegar
1 tbsp. fresh dill, minced fine
1 tsp. fresh mint, cut into chiffonade
1/2 tsp. salt or to taste

If using regular yogurt, place yogurt in a cheesecloth-lined sieve over a bowl; put bowl, covered, in the refrigerator for 1 hour to drain excess liquid. If using Greek yogurt, this step is not necessary.

Shred cucumber and let sit in food processor or in a sieve over a bowl for about 10 minutes, to drain the liquid.

In a large bowl, combine yogurt, garlic, oil, vinegar, herbs and salt. Add cucumber and mix well. Place in a serving dish, cover and refrigerate for at least two hours, to allow the flavors to mingle and make friends.

Serve with Greek or Middle-Eastern meatballs or grilled chicken, or as a dip with pita chips and veggie dippers.

It seems to me that Indian raitas and pachadis have a higher percentage of cucumbers to yogurt than the tzatziki recipes I've seen. The pachadis I like the best, since they are spicy, finished off with a tarka of mustard seeds, dried chiles, and curry leaves.

It seems to me that Indian raitas and pachadis have a higher percentage of cucumbers to yogurt than the tzatziki recipes I've seen. The pachadis I like the best, since they are spicy, finished off with a tarka of mustard seeds, dried chiles, and curry leaves.
Oh, yum. Can't get fresh curry leaves, but have some in the freezer. Next trip to the cabin Indian food it is.

In Indian food, cucumber sauce is used as a cooling complement to the often-spicy main dish. It occurred to me that you could use tzatziki the same way, to counter spicy foods, by varying the seasonings. For example, you could make tzatziki and, instead of mint and parsley, season it with cumin, ancho chile powder and lime juice, then serve with tacos or tostadas.

If this sounds good to you, maybe we can brainstorm other combinations of flavors.

Of course if you are intending to use it as a "cooling complement" you might want to forgo any spicy ingredients. ;)

There's also Riata, basically the same thing, with the aforementioned cumin plus mustard seeds and various herbs. Riata being the Indian version of a cooling complement.

Of course if you are intending to use it as a "cooling complement" you might want to forgo any spicy ingredients. ;)

There's also Riata, basically the same thing, with the aforementioned cumin plus mustard seeds and various herbs. Riata being the Indian version of a cooling complement.
Love Riata. Used to make a version with grated baby golden beets...beets are on the "no-no" list for foods my Mom shouldn't eat.

There's also *Riata, basically the same thing, with the aforementioned cumin plus mustard seeds and various herbs. Riata being the Indian version of a cooling complement.
Ancho chile powder is quite mild.

*raita

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom