Wasabi

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
May the sweet wasabi prince kiss you on the cheek and lay horseradish-goodness under your pillow.
17.gif

g'night elfie. ok everyone, we can go nuts now. say anything you want, woohoo!!!!! awwww, ok, i'll play nice. i was hoping mj learned some new adjectives for me :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: (only kidding mj, relax)

Couldn't live up to my name if I didn't have a couple of recipes for you ;)

Asparagus Wasabi Tempura

16 asparagus spears
3/4 c unbleached white flour
2 tb cornstarch
1 ts salt
1 ts sugar
1 ts baking powder
1 ts ground ginger
1 ts wasabi powder to taste (to 2 tsp)
1/4 c water
1/2 c beer; (any kind will do)
2 c canola or corn oil; (approximately)

Break tough ends off asparagus and discard end pieces.
In a bowl, mix together the flour, cornstarch, salt, sugar, baking powder,
ginger, and wasabi.
Add the water and beer to the flour mixture and whisk slowly until the batter is smooth.
Transfer the batter into a pan at least 8 inches wide.
In a saucepan or skillet at least 8 inches in diameter, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Test the oil by dropping in 1/2 teaspoon of the batter. If it immediately bubbles and fizzes, the oil is ready.
Dip one asparagus spear into the batter, then drop it into the oil, being careful not to splash the oil too much. Add 7 or more batter-dipped asparagus spears, and let them fry for 2 to 3 minutes.
Remove them to paper towels with a large slotted spoon.
Dip and fry the remaining asparagus spears and blot them on the paper towels. Serve the tempura immediately.

Wasabi Mashed Potatoes

Serves 4-6
5 large Idaho potatoes, peeled and cut into sixths
3 quarts water
½ cup heavy cream (or substitute milk)
1 stick butter
Salt to taste
2 tablespoons wasabi powder or paste

Cook the potatoes in boiling, salted water until tender.
Mash the potatoes or whip in a mixer.
In a small saucepan, combine the remaining ingredients and heat until the butter is melted. Slowly blend this mixture into the potatoes.
If you like, stir in some bacon bits or fresh herbs for more flavor.

Good Luck!

heya wasabi woman, that 's pretty much how i make my wasabi mashed taters, but i use a little of the boiling water instead of cream or milk. i think it makes the mashed a little lighter, and it reduces fat and calories.

Bangbang said:
norgeskog said:
I first had wasabi at an Asian restaurant in Eugene named Bamboo. They served food for nearly all Asian kitchens. It was served with a vegetarian sushi appetizer (daughter is a vegetarian) and was wonderful. I found it in a tube and mix with mayo for a sandwich, into salad dressing, marinades, etc. Even use is instead of regular horseradish for shrimp coctaill sauce. Now I cannot find the tubed one, only the powdered one and I like it better. How do you guys use it.

green.gif
:roll: THE DUCKS GOT BEDEVILED BY ASU 28-13

I stick in my nose.

bangbang, and just what would be the purpose of this gesture??? know something I do not.

kitchenelf said:
I
Well, I take that back sort of. The other way I use it is when I cook either salmon or sashimi grade tuna I first marinate the fish in a mixture of soy sauce, rice vinegar, sesame oil. Rub the fish with the wasabi, dredge each side in toasted sesame seeds, and then top with a sheet of nori that has been cut to fit the fish and then sear in a really HOT pan.

AND I have used it in mashed potatoes as a side when we had the ahi tuna. GREAT subtle heat and flavor.

I have salmon in the freezer, this will be my dinner tonight. I will make mashed potatoes with buttermilk, fresh chives, roasted garlic. THanks kitchekelf....

green.gif
:roll: GO OREGON DUCKS

THere are some great recipes here, the cold slaw sounds great, that I will try but need to get some cabbage. Thanks to all of you.

green.gif
:roll: GO DUCKS

Let me know how you like it!!! Try some wasabi mashed potatoes too - just a hint - or a hint and a half!! LOL

THere are some great recipes here, the cold slaw sounds great, that I will try but need to get some cabbage. Thanks to all of you.

green.gif

kitchenelf said:
YUM buckytom - I love cauliflower mashed like potatoes - will have to try the wasabi in them!!

ever try mashing rutabagas and potatoes, even amount. Finish as usual. Really nice for a change.

green.gif

kitchenelf said:
YES!!! I love them too - along with turnips!!!

hot bout parsnips . I like to slice them real thin with a potatoe peeler and toss with olive oil, salt, fresh ground pepper, and finely minced garlic and toss in my toaster over until crispy and browned. Makes a wonderful garnish to almost anything.

ROFLMAO norgeskog - Not only did your posts STILL double themselves but mine ended up in between them!!!!! Now that makes me laugh! LOL

Back
Top Bottom