What Do You Do With Your SPAM®?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ways that haven't been discussed yet:

1. Rustic mashed potatoes with fine-diced spam and used to fill crispy potato skins, like a loaded baked potato

2. Classic New England Boiled Dinner, replacing the ham, or corned beef with diced Spam thin slices of Spam

3. Scalloped Potatoes Au Gratin with thin slices of Spam

4.Spam and tomato filled cabbage rolls

5. Spam in bean soup

6. Spam and baked beans

7. Diced spam and Quinoa

8. replace ham hocks in Split peas soup with Spam

9. Spam Chowder

10. Baked Foil pouches with Spam, Potato,, Carrots, and green beans

11. Spam and pineapple with tomato sauce pizza (Spam replaces the ham)

12. Tempura Spam with honey-mustard sauce

13. Spam, lettuce, and tomato on rye

14. Reuben Sandwich using Spam to replace the corned beef

15. Spam Sub Sandwich

In most of these, let the salty Spam season the dish, and reduce added salt.

Hope this opens up some new ways for you to use your Spam.:D

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Ways that haven't been discussed yet:

1. Rustic mashed potatoes with fine-diced spam and used to fill crispy potato skins, like a loaded baked potato

2. Classic New England Boiled Dinner, replacing the ham, or corned beef with diced Spam thin slices of Spam

3. Scalloped Potatoes Au Gratin with thin slices of Spam

4.Spam and tomato filled cabbage rolls

5. Spam in bean soup

6. Spam and baked beans

7. Diced spam and Quinoa

8. replace ham hocks in Split peas soup with Spam

9. Spam Chowder

10. Baked Foil pouches with Spam, Potato,, Carrots, and green beans

11. Spam and pineapple with tomato sauce pizza (Spam replaces the ham)

12. Tempura Spam with honey-mustard sauce

13. Spam, lettuce, and tomato on rye

14. Reuben Sandwich using Spam to replace the corned beef

15. Spam Sub Sandwich

In most of these, let the salty Spam season the dish, and reduce added salt.

Hope this opens up some new ways for you to use your Spam.:D

As I was reading down your list, one of my first thoughts was hmmm, wonder if you could use Spam in place of the corned beef in a Reuben?

Sure enough, you had it on your list :yum:

All excellent ideas, but I think I want to try #10 first.

Thanks, Chief!

I like to run it thru my meat grinder along with some green bell pepper, salad olives, pickle relish, hard cooked egg, and place that in a mixing bowl. Then add some shredded cheddar cheese and lastly salad dressing or mayo. This is tossed and mixed well and it makes a good sandwich filling.

I've experimented a lot with this grinding some hot dogs or smoked sausage, or even garlic or hot bologna.

When I was a kid there was an old gentleman and his wife who operated a small neighborhood grocery store. He always had the best ground meat salad, egg salad, and tuna salad. I delivered newspapers back then and he would make sandwiches for me for a few cents and I'd buy a bottle of Coke
for a snack. Before he closed the store for the last time to retire he told me the secret to his salads was he used various salad dressings such as "Green Goddess", "California Onion", and some others. He would grind the lunch meats in his meat case to make the salads and it looked like he sold a lot of sliced lunch meat so customers always figured it was fresh.

He also made potato salad, macaroni salad, and coleslaw. He was quite a cook and found my curiosity of his methods to be interesting. So he passed some hints and secrets along to me before he closed.

I don't know if anyone has mentioned it or not, but one of the dishes (actually, a dessert) that I saw on Bizarre Foods Hawaii was Spam Pineapple Upside-Down Cake.

I can never remember if we're allowed to post random images from the internet here, so to be safe I'll just say to Google it. But yeah, it's a thing, it exists, and it actually looks pretty good.

I don't know if anyone has mentioned it or not, but one of the dishes (actually, a dessert) that I saw on Bizarre Foods Hawaii was Spam Pineapple Upside-Down Cake.

I can never remember if we're allowed to post random images from the internet here, so to be safe I'll just say to Google it. But yeah, it's a thing, it exists, and it actually looks pretty good.

That's a hard PASS!!
:LOL:

I would try a small bite, if there was some available. I wouldn't make it to find out what it's like. :ermm:

+3 :ROFLMAO:

You should have seen DH's face when I said
"Spam® Pineapple Upside Down Cake"
:stuart:

And speaking of Spam®,
I found the other half that I used to try
Spam® Katsu, shoved to back side of the Deli drawer in the `fridge.
Now, how old is that? :ermm:
I did a WWW search as to how long an opened can
of Spam® is good for --- 7-10 days --- WELL!
It's been 21 days, so my idea of Spam® Musubi
for lunch to today is OUT!!!
:shock:

+3 :ROFLMAO:

You should have seen DH's face when I said
"Spam® Pineapple Upside Down Cake"
:stuart:

:LOL:

And speaking of Spam®,
I found the other half that I used to try
Spam® Katsu, shoved to back side of the Deli drawer in the `fridge.
Now, how old is that? :ermm:
I did a WWW search as to how long an opened can
of Spam® is good for --- 7-10 days --- WELL!
It's been 21 days, so my idea of Spam® Musubi
for lunch to today is OUT!!!
:shock:

What? I thought Spam lasted forever, hahaha.

I have a can of the Turkey Spam. That's usually what I buy (less fat and calories) and I happen to like it. I'm not a HUGE Spam fan and don't really eat it often, but I do really like Spam and eggs.

How could that not make me think of this? I couldn't find a decent version without the Portuguese or Spanish subtitles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_bW4vEo1F4E

I listen to NPR's Marketplace almost every day. On today's show, host Kai Ryssdal noted that Hormel Foods, makers of Spam, lost 5.7%. After mentioning that, he proceeded to run off the list of things you can make with Spam that is in this skit. An economist with a sense of humor! :LOL:

One that would be a natural - a Monte Kristo sandwich using spam instead of ham. Another one might be to use crispy-edge fried span on top of a good waffle, topped with a good cheese. Next, Grilled Cheese with Spam sandwich, lots of creamy Velveeta, or American cheese oozing out. Think Asian twist; Chunks of Spam with water chestnuts, chopped onion, bamboo shoots,5-spice, and bias sliced carrot, and celery, and mung-beansprouts, all stir-fried together

I think a good pineapple sweet and sour sauce would go well with the last one.

Add chunks of spam to a cob or Ceasar salad.

Corn pudding, or creamed corn with diced, grilled Spam

Baked Beans with Spam

Kabobs of Spam strips on bamboo skewers, with pineapple, sett, or hot peppers, onions, and carrots, all glazed with honey-mustard sauce

Potato bombs - Use an apple coring tool to make a tunnel through the long end of baking potato. Cut the resulting potato plug in half. Fill the tunnel with Fine-diced Spam, and cheese/minced onion. Put tthe plugs back into both ends of the tunnel. Wrap in foil and bake for 45 minutes.

Spam in savory bread stuffing

Spam in a Quiche

Spam in Egg Foo Yung

Spam and lentils Dahl

Whole Spam loaf on a rotisserie spit, with Shallow slices circling the loaf. Glaze with bbq, or favorite sauce. Cook over hot coals.

Crispy fine-diced Sham added to Toll House dough to make Toll House cookies with Spam

Crispy Spam Strips used in place of bacon bits

That's enough new Span ideas for today.:mrgreen:

Just more ideas where Spam would fit in well.

Back
Top Bottom