"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > International Cuisines and Ethnic Cookery
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 12-02-2020, 10:49 PM   #81
Head Chef
 
Linda0818's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Posts: 1,180
I hit the mother lode of Spam recipes simply by checking out the official Spam website. Holy moly, those recipes look good and I've already got a few saved that I want to make soon, to use up my can of Turkey Spam that's been sitting in my Lazy Susan for several months. When and if I make any of these recipes, I may take pics and post them here.

I want to make the Polynesian Stir-Fry, the Spam Eggs & Rice and the Spam Poke Bowl.

Linda0818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 06:01 PM   #82
Wannabe TV Chef
 
Kaneohegirlinaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: USA
Posts: 6,134
WOW!

Ya know Linda, I've been to that SpamŽ website many times,
but never browsed through the recipe tab before.
I've made/eaten many of those dishes, but there are a few I
might consider as well.
Kaneohegirlinaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 06:29 PM   #83
Head Chef
 
Linda0818's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Posts: 1,180
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaneohegirlinaz View Post
WOW!

Ya know Linda, I've been to that SpamŽ website many times,
but never browsed through the recipe tab before.
I've made/eaten many of those dishes, but there are a few I
might consider as well.
There are several I'd like to make, but one in particular stood out for me. I don't remember what it's called, but I saved the pic of it. It looks amazing.

(just checked, it's the Spam Poke Bowl)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-recipe_spam-poke-bowl-1000x500.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	40.8 KB
ID:	44281  
Linda0818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 06:54 PM   #84
Wannabe TV Chef
 
Kaneohegirlinaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: USA
Posts: 6,134
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda0818 View Post
There are several I'd like to make, but one in particular stood out for me. I don't remember what it's called, but I saved the pic of it. It looks amazing.

(just checked, it's the Spam Poke Bowl)
YUM!

Here's what funny ... WAY back in the day, we're talking maybe 30 years ago, my husband was working out in the field everyday and wasn't able to take a home lunch.
There was a Foodland Supermarket
in his area, so I suggested that he go to the fish counter, where they sold fresh Poke of all sorts. I suggested that he ask them for a side of steamed White Rice and eat the two together as a healthier lunch option than fast food with his buddies. I was ahead of my time.

Click image for larger version

Name:	foodland-poke.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	202.7 KB
ID:	44282

I never counted how many different types they have, but you'd never get board. Now, they offer Poke Bowls at the fish counter at a set price, like oh, maybe $7.99 for 2 choices with White or Brown Rice.

Everyday that we've been back home on Oahu, I would stop and get assorted poke for dinner, el fresco

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00215.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	58.5 KB
ID:	44283

out on our lanai!
Kaneohegirlinaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 06:57 PM   #85
Head Chef
 
Linda0818's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Posts: 1,180
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaneohegirlinaz View Post
YUM!

Here's what funny ... WAY back in the day, we're talking maybe 30 years ago, my husband was working out in the field everyday and wasn't able to take a home lunch.
There was a Foodland Supermarket
in his area, so I suggested that he go to the fish counter, where they sold fresh Poke of all sorts. I suggested that he ask them for a side of steamed White Rice and eat the two together as a healthier lunch option than fast food with his buddies. I was ahead of my time.

Attachment 44282

I never counted how many different types they have, but you'd never get board. Now, they offer Poke Bowls at the fish counter at a set price, like oh, maybe $7.99 for 2 choices with White or Brown Rice.

Everyday that we've been back home on Oahu, I would stop and get assorted poke for dinner, el fresco

Attachment 44283

out on our lanai!
Oh my goodness, that looks yummy. I could totally eat that whole plate right now.
Linda0818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 07:08 PM   #86
Wannabe TV Chef
 
Kaneohegirlinaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: USA
Posts: 6,134
I meant to add this link :

https://www.foodland.com/our-stores-poke-0
Kaneohegirlinaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 07:23 PM   #87
Wannabe TV Chef
 
Kaneohegirlinaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: USA
Posts: 6,134
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda0818 View Post
Oh my goodness, that looks yummy. I could totally eat that whole plate right now.
How good does that look, right?
This is DH's Poke Plate (or de-constructed Poke Bowl as I call it), all of his favs:
Hawaiian-Style Ahi or Tuna
Tako Limu or Octopus (cooked) with local Seaweed, very tasty and crunchy
Shoyu Mussels (also cooked, with Soy Sauce and Green Onions, I'm allergic)
some steamed Fish Cake or Kamaboko sliced (sold separately)
and Shoyu Salmon in the back, he loves that one too!
A BIG scoop of steamed White Rice in the middle of the plate and some Furikake Rice Seasoning, Wasabi and Aloha Brand Shoyu for dipping
Not everything is raw, there are many Pokes that are cooked, my fav is the Garlic Shrimp OH MY GAWD!!! Ya know, like they sort they have at the food trucks on the North Shore you see on Food Network? YUM!
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00183.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	111.4 KB
ID:	44284
A friend of mine helped in developing those lovey Kahuku Shrimps (Prawns) way back when... I've only ever tasted one other shrimp close to this before.

I'm making myself hungry and home sick
Kaneohegirlinaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 07:32 PM   #88
Head Chef
 
Linda0818's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Posts: 1,180
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaneohegirlinaz View Post
How good does that look, right?
This is DH's Poke Plate (or de-constructed Poke Bowl as I call it), all of his favs:
Hawaiian-Style Ahi or Tuna
Tako Limu or Octopus (cooked) with local Seaweed, very tasty and crunchy
Shoyu Mussels (also cooked, with Soy Sauce and Green Onions, I'm allergic)
some steamed Fish Cake or Kamaboko sliced (sold separately)
and Shoyu Salmon in the back, he loves that one too!
A BIG scoop of steamed White Rice in the middle of the plate and some Furikake Rice Seasoning, Wasabi and Aloha Brand Shoyu for dipping
Not everything is raw, there are many Pokes that are cooked, my fav is the Garlic Shrimp OH MY GAWD!!! Ya know, like they sort they have at the food trucks on the North Shore you see on Food Network? YUM!
Attachment 44284
A friend of mine helped in developing those lovey Kahuku Shrimps (Prawns) way back when... I've only ever tasted one other shrimp close to this before.

I'm making myself hungry and home sick
Nice all the way around. I especially love octopus and mussels.

Dang! It's times like these I wish I were a genie and could snap my fingers and that plate would appear right in front of me

That shrimp looks amazing as well.
Linda0818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 02:21 PM   #89
Assistant Cook
 
Join Date: Dec 2020
Location: East Texas
Posts: 38
Uh..no.
BTDT, I don't ever again want SPAM, pork slices 'in juices' (never could figure out what kind of juices) pork chunks or any other kind of canned pork.

cowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2020, 08:06 PM   #90
Head Chef
 
Linda0818's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Posts: 1,180
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaneohegirlinaz View Post
Here's my Spam poke bowl that I've put together for my lunch tomorrow. The avocado is missing because I won't cut into that and add it until I'm ready to eat the bowl. Plus no pickled ginger, as I don't like it. Then I added a boiled egg.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20201208_184426.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	46.9 KB
ID:	44350  
Linda0818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2020, 08:16 PM   #91
Wannabe TV Chef
 
Kaneohegirlinaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: USA
Posts: 6,134
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda0818 View Post
Here's my Spam poke bowl that I've put together for my lunch tomorrow. The avocado is missing because I won't cut into that and add it until I'm ready to eat the bowl. Plus no pickled ginger, as I don't like it. Then I added a boiled egg.
WOW!
Linda, that looks like you're in for a treat with your lunch tomorrow!

Yeah, I'm with ya on the Pickled Ginger, it's not my favorite,
but I do like fresh Ginger. I keep a "hand" in the freezer,
already peeled, so that I can chop/grate as needed.
My breakfast this morning (Turkey Jook or Congee)
had a heard of it in there!
Kaneohegirlinaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2020, 08:39 PM   #92
Head Chef
 
Linda0818's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Posts: 1,180
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaneohegirlinaz View Post
WOW!
Linda, that looks like you're in for a treat with your lunch tomorrow!

Yeah, I'm with ya on the Pickled Ginger, it's not my favorite,
but I do like fresh Ginger. I keep a "hand" in the freezer,
already peeled, so that I can chop/grate as needed.
My breakfast this morning (Turkey Jook or Congee)
had a heard of it in there!
Thanks, I'm looking forward to it

Unfortunately, I don't like fresh ginger, either. Just not a ginger fan. Unless it's a gingerbread cookie, hahaha.
Linda0818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2020, 10:22 PM   #93
Chef Extraordinaire
 
taxlady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: near Montreal, Quebec
Posts: 25,417
Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
When I put ginger in the freezer, I don't bother peeling it before I freeze it. Once it has been frozen, the skin rubs off really easily. Besides, I seldom bother to peel ginger before grating it unless the skin looks disreputable. I don't notice any difference in the taste or texture.
__________________
May you live as long as you wish and love as long as you live.
Robert A. Heinlein
taxlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 09:02 AM   #94
Head Chef
 
Linda0818's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Posts: 1,180
Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
When I put ginger in the freezer, I don't bother peeling it before I freeze it. Once it has been frozen, the skin rubs off really easily. Besides, I seldom bother to peel ginger before grating it unless the skin looks disreputable. I don't notice any difference in the taste or texture.
I often wonder if other fresh items (spices, fruits, etc) that we wouldn't think of putting in the freezer could work just as well. Or even non-fresh. For example, I freeze canned pineapple. Sometimes I'll throw pineapple onto a homemade pizza or I need one or two slices, but not a whole can, for a dish I'm making. So I'll keep a zipper bag in the freezer of individually-frozen slices of pineapple and just take out what I need.
Linda0818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 10:32 AM   #95
Chef Extraordinaire
 
GotGarlic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Southeastern Virginia
Posts: 25,340
I keep some spice seeds in the freezer because the oils can go rancid stored at room temperature.
__________________
Anyplace where people argue about food is a good place.
~ Anthony Bourdain, Parts Unknown, 2018
GotGarlic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 04:30 PM   #96
Head Chef
 
Linda0818's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Posts: 1,180
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
I keep some spice seeds in the freezer because the oils can go rancid stored at room temperature.
That's a smart idea.

I keep my flax meal in the fridge, but heard it lasts longer in the freezer.
Linda0818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 07:02 PM   #97
Wannabe TV Chef
 
Kaneohegirlinaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: USA
Posts: 6,134
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda0818 View Post
Here's my Spam poke bowl that I've put together for my lunch tomorrow. The avocado is missing because I won't cut into that and add it until I'm ready to eat the bowl. Plus no pickled ginger, as I don't like it. Then I added a boiled egg.
So how was it Linda?
Kaneohegirlinaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 07:41 PM   #98
Head Chef
 
Linda0818's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Posts: 1,180
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaneohegirlinaz View Post
So how was it Linda?
Really good! I enjoyed it all, but I especially loved the mukimame and the rice, as I drizzled on some seasoned rice vinegar to make it a little sweet.
Linda0818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
recipe

What Do You Do With Your SPAMŽ? [url]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t9YQZhUYSS8[/url] Oh my goodness! A friend of mine from Hawaii sent me this newest TV commercial from my all time favorite canned meat, [SIZE="6"]SPAMŽ [/SIZE] :lol: 3 stars 1 reviews
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:38 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.