What Do You Do With Your SPAM®?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I hit the mother lode of Spam recipes simply by checking out the official Spam website. Holy moly, those recipes look good and I've already got a few saved that I want to make soon, to use up my can of Turkey Spam that's been sitting in my Lazy Susan for several months. When and if I make any of these recipes, I may take pics and post them here.

I want to make the Polynesian Stir-Fry, the Spam Eggs & Rice and the Spam Poke Bowl.

:yum:

WOW!

Ya know Linda, I've been to that Spam® website many times,
but never browsed through the recipe tab before.
I've made/eaten many of those dishes, but there are a few I
might consider as well.

There are several I'd like to make, but one in particular stood out for me. I don't remember what it's called, but I saved the pic of it. It looks amazing.

(just checked, it's the Spam Poke Bowl)

Attachments

• image-recipe_spam-poke-bowl-1000x500.jpg
    image-recipe_spam-poke-bowl-1000x500.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 111
There are several I'd like to make, but one in particular stood out for me. I don't remember what it's called, but I saved the pic of it. It looks amazing.

(just checked, it's the Spam Poke Bowl)

YUM!

Here's what funny ... WAY back in the day, we're talking maybe 30 years ago, my husband was working out in the field everyday and wasn't able to take a home lunch.
There was a Foodland Supermarket
in his area, so I suggested that he go to the fish counter, where they sold fresh Poke of all sorts. I suggested that he ask them for a side of steamed White Rice and eat the two together as a healthier lunch option than fast food with his buddies. I was ahead of my time.

foodland-poke.jpg

I never counted how many different types they have, but you'd never get board. Now, they offer Poke Bowls at the fish counter at a set price, like oh, maybe $7.99 for 2 choices with White or Brown Rice.

Everyday that we've been back home on Oahu, I would stop and get assorted poke for dinner, el fresco

DSC00215.jpg

out on our lanai!

YUM!

Here's what funny ... WAY back in the day, we're talking maybe 30 years ago, my husband was working out in the field everyday and wasn't able to take a home lunch.
There was a Foodland Supermarket
in his area, so I suggested that he go to the fish counter, where they sold fresh Poke of all sorts. I suggested that he ask them for a side of steamed White Rice and eat the two together as a healthier lunch option than fast food with his buddies. I was ahead of my time.

View attachment 44282

I never counted how many different types they have, but you'd never get board. Now, they offer Poke Bowls at the fish counter at a set price, like oh, maybe $7.99 for 2 choices with White or Brown Rice.

Everyday that we've been back home on Oahu, I would stop and get assorted poke for dinner, el fresco

View attachment 44283

out on our lanai!

Oh my goodness, that looks yummy. I could totally eat that whole plate right now.

Oh my goodness, that looks yummy. I could totally eat that whole plate right now.

How good does that look, right?
This is DH's Poke Plate (or de-constructed Poke Bowl as I call it), all of his favs:
Hawaiian-Style Ahi or Tuna
Tako Limu or Octopus (cooked) with local Seaweed, very tasty and crunchy
Shoyu Mussels (also cooked, with Soy Sauce and Green Onions, I'm allergic)
some steamed Fish Cake or Kamaboko sliced (sold separately)
and Shoyu Salmon in the back, he loves that one too!
A BIG scoop of steamed White Rice in the middle of the plate and some Furikake Rice Seasoning, Wasabi and Aloha Brand Shoyu for dipping :yum:
Not everything is raw, there are many Pokes that are cooked, my fav is the Garlic Shrimp OH MY GAWD!!! Ya know, like they sort they have at the food trucks on the North Shore you see on Food Network? YUM!
DSC00183.jpg
A friend of mine helped in developing those lovey Kahuku Shrimps (Prawns) way back when... I've only ever tasted one other shrimp close to this before.

I'm making myself hungry and home sick :LOL:

How good does that look, right?
This is DH's Poke Plate (or de-constructed Poke Bowl as I call it), all of his favs:
Hawaiian-Style Ahi or Tuna
Tako Limu or Octopus (cooked) with local Seaweed, very tasty and crunchy
Shoyu Mussels (also cooked, with Soy Sauce and Green Onions, I'm allergic)
some steamed Fish Cake or Kamaboko sliced (sold separately)
and Shoyu Salmon in the back, he loves that one too!
A BIG scoop of steamed White Rice in the middle of the plate and some Furikake Rice Seasoning, Wasabi and Aloha Brand Shoyu for dipping :yum:
Not everything is raw, there are many Pokes that are cooked, my fav is the Garlic Shrimp OH MY GAWD!!! Ya know, like they sort they have at the food trucks on the North Shore you see on Food Network? YUM!
View attachment 44284
A friend of mine helped in developing those lovey Kahuku Shrimps (Prawns) way back when... I've only ever tasted one other shrimp close to this before.

I'm making myself hungry and home sick :LOL:

Nice all the way around. I especially love octopus and mussels.

Dang! It's times like these I wish I were a genie and could snap my fingers and that plate would appear right in front of me :LOL:

That shrimp looks amazing as well.

Uh..no.
BTDT, I don't ever again want SPAM, pork slices 'in juices' (never could figure out what kind of juices) pork chunks or any other kind of canned pork.

Attachments

• 20201208_184426.jpg
    20201208_184426.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 77
Here's my Spam poke bowl that I've put together for my lunch tomorrow. The avocado is missing because I won't cut into that and add it until I'm ready to eat the bowl. Plus no pickled ginger, as I don't like it. Then I added a boiled egg.

WOW!
Linda, that looks like you're in for a treat with your lunch tomorrow!

Yeah, I'm with ya on the Pickled Ginger, it's not my favorite,
but I do like fresh Ginger. I keep a "hand" in the freezer,
already peeled, so that I can chop/grate as needed.
My breakfast this morning (Turkey Jook or Congee)
had a heard of it in there!

WOW!
Linda, that looks like you're in for a treat with your lunch tomorrow!

Yeah, I'm with ya on the Pickled Ginger, it's not my favorite,
but I do like fresh Ginger. I keep a "hand" in the freezer,
already peeled, so that I can chop/grate as needed.
My breakfast this morning (Turkey Jook or Congee)
had a heard of it in there!

Thanks, I'm looking forward to it :yum:

Unfortunately, I don't like fresh ginger, either. Just not a ginger fan. Unless it's a gingerbread cookie, hahaha.

When I put ginger in the freezer, I don't bother peeling it before I freeze it. Once it has been frozen, the skin rubs off really easily. Besides, I seldom bother to peel ginger before grating it unless the skin looks disreputable. I don't notice any difference in the taste or texture.

Last edited:
When I put ginger in the freezer, I don't bother peeling it before I freeze it. Once it has been frozen, the skin rubs off really easily. Besides, I seldom bother to peel ginger before grating it unless the skin looks disreputable. I don't notice any difference in the taste or texture.

I often wonder if other fresh items (spices, fruits, etc) that we wouldn't think of putting in the freezer could work just as well. Or even non-fresh. For example, I freeze canned pineapple. Sometimes I'll throw pineapple onto a homemade pizza or I need one or two slices, but not a whole can, for a dish I'm making. So I'll keep a zipper bag in the freezer of individually-frozen slices of pineapple and just take out what I need.

Back
Top Bottom