What is the most bizarre food you ever had???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mexican mama

Senior Cook
Been thinking of this idea for days now and in my travels the most biZarre food i ever had was Dinuguan or pork blood stew.i had it a couple of times whenever i go back to the Philippines...it takes getting used to but it is an interesting dish paired with puto or rice cake. Some would be amazed why eat blood but it is common dish especially in Asian cooking. The second food that comes to mind is Alfalfa Paletas/popsicles...my friend brought some the other day and it has an interesting bittersweet taste..
WHat's yours????:chef:

Bugs at the local bugfest.
Ant enchiladas
Mealy bug cookies
Scorpion stir fry
There were some other dishes too.
Sadly, the dishes themselves were poorly done and
would have been bad without the bugs.
Except the cookies.. the bugs added a nice nutty flavor and
the cookies were good.

Smoked bat. It was considered a delicacy on Guam in 1976.

(Actually, I think some things are called a delicacy so that you only have to eat enough to be polite, but not enough to get ill!) :LOL:

We have had threads like this before; don't see any reason to repeat.

Having said that I regret to tell you that I have had:

Hedgehog
Squirrel
Snake
Nutria
Pigeon (not that that’s any kind of bizarre food)
Horse

bugs

Bugs at the local bugfest.
Ant enchiladas
Mealy bug cookies
Scorpion stir fry
There were some other dishes too.
Sadly, the dishes themselves were poorly done and
would have been bad without the bugs.
Except the cookies.. the bugs added a nice nutty flavor and
the cookies were good.

I only had fried grasshopper once and it was interesting...i agree some are badly cooked that u can still taste the liquid that just nasty:mad:

bats

Smoked bat. It was considered a delicacy on Guam in 1976.

(Actually, I think some things are called a delicacy so that you only have to eat enough to be polite, but not enough to get ill!) :LOL:

I wonder if they still serve bats in Guam...wouldn't it be dangerous coz of the bats having rabies??just wondering:ohmy:

This is going to sound really weird, but McDonald's chicken nuggets. We don't eat fast food. Several years ago I was at my niece's house when she brought in these nuggets for her kids. The littlest girl just insisted I eat one of her chicken nuggets. I did so and thought that it was probably the most surreal and plastic thing I'd ever put in my mouth. It didn't even taste or feel like food. My mouth was coated with grease from just the one nugget and I was sick that night. That was just bizarre.

From a "different" bizarre perspective... probably Kokorech... lamb intestines wrapped on a skewer, seasoned and grilled. It's a street food in Turkey, where dh is from.

I wonder if they still serve bats in Guam...wouldn't it be dangerous coz of the bats having rabies??just wondering:ohmy:

I'm sure they still serve bat in Guam (a specialty found in private homes - not the store), but as for rabies...??? I don't know. I never thought about it.

Balut when overseas
Here in FL, gator,armadillo, rattlesnake, to name a few.

There's a restaurant near me that serves fried alligator tail all of the time and is a very popular appetizer. It's great, especially with a pineapple-peach marmalade dipping sauce! And another place that serves it on Fri., Sat & Sun. as an entree.

I think it's becoming more wide spread than we suppose. :chef:

I agree. Now that they're off the endangered list, they're easier to come by. Love the idea of the salsa/chutney.

So, bizarre is relative to the culture.

Some of the things I have had that are "unusual" from an American perspective:

Jellyfish salad
Lamb brains
Sweetbreads
Sea Urchin roe
Marinated tripe
Durian fruit
Really weird: Artery soup.

Im going to have to agree with the chicken nuggets.I have never eaten any of these weird things you have all mentioned.I have however had the chicken Mcnuggets ,and they taste like they may contain everything you guys have stated.Everything that is except chicken.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom