What is your favorite "Jewish" dish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

danpeikes

Senior Cook
What is your favorite "Jewish" dish? We are having a pot luck at the office and we are supposed to bring something from our ethnicity. So many options and I don't know what to pick.

Knishes were the first thing that came to mind. I think they would be great for a pot luck.

Any of the above....potato/meat(leftover brisket) knishes....yummy!!!
Dessert.....honey cake, rugelah.....I could go on and on, but I'll stop...LOL

Kasha varnishkes, matzoh ball soup, potato and kasha knishes, blintzes, chopped liver...

For dessert: coconut macaroons enrobed in bittersweet chocolate...

cheese and potato blintz

img_855277_0_535baf17f22ec1c701502200380143a7.jpg

I'm not sure what you would consider Jewish food, many consider it to be more European style food. A few years ago I traveled to Israel and some of you would be surprised to know that Israel is probable the most multicultural country on earth. The only other places that compared were Singapore and London. So Jewish food could basically be categorized as food from anywhere within a 5000km radius of Israel. Encompassing Ethiopia, India, Kuwait and Russia.

That being said my favorite Jewish food, on that many Israelis seem to share with me was Yemen Beef Soup. Especially with the (somehow spelt) Swhuge, a chili, garlic and coriander sambal like concoction.

Jewish food is food that Jews the world over eat. Israeli food is different. I was in Israel a few months ago and as a Jew I can say that "Jewish" food and "Israeli" food are not necessarily one in the same. For instance, I did not see most of the above mentioned foods while I was there. I saw things like falafel and shwarma which would not be considered Jewish, but would be considered stereotypical Israeli food.

I agree, this does however come down to ones definition of Jewish food. I think most of the western world has the steriotypic view of Jews as white europeans. Nothing could be further from the truth. I therefore put into question why do we take Jewish food as being that of European influence.

There are basically two types of Jews. You have the Ashkenazi who make up the majority of the Jews in the US and surrounding areas. These are Jews of Eastern European decent. Then you have Sephardic Jews who are of Spanish or Portuguese decent. There are other types as well, but the majority of Jews are made up of these two groups. Both the Ashkenazi and Shephardic Jews have foods that are staples to them that are not bound by geographic location. The Ashkenazi, no matter where they are located, will have things like Matzo Ball Soup and Kinishes, and most of the other things that are mentioned above.

As you noted thecurrypot, there certainly are other foods that would be considered Jewish foods. The reason the people here are only mentioning those of the European influence is that they are familiar with the Ashkenazi ways and not the Sephardic. If you go to Spain and ask the same question you will get a completely different set of foods.

Last edited:
looking at mostly the ashkinazi/europian style. Don't get me wrong i love Sphardi/Israeli/Middle Eastern food (I wspent 2 years in Israel studying and eating plus visited my grandparents there ever other summer as a kid) but I don't think that is what the office is expecting.

ella most likely traditional european style kosher food. I might go with like a kugel or some knishes. Possibly stuffed cabbage.

Wyogal.....ROFL......there has to be some cream cheese and thinly sliced purple onion with that!!!!....LOL
I am a weird Jew Ella. I can't stand cream cheese so I often have bagles with lox and nothing else :shock: Although if it is lox spread and it is well mixed then I will eat that.

However the way I would really like it is with whitefish salad, belly lox (the salty kind), Jarlsberg cheese, and then topped with some veggies like lettuce, tomato, red onion, etc.

Back
Top Bottom