What is your favorite Mexican/Tex-Mex food???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

I don't even know what to say to that, except how awful for her. My gawd, I can't even imagine what that must have been like. Very tragic.

Don't be silly ;) There's no need to go anywhere. The only reason I mentioned it is because in the past, people have posted responses or questions in old threads to people who no longer visit the forum, or at least haven't posted in many years. I'm not saying don't reopen old threads - just don't expect responses from inactive members.

Well, I didn't want to be annoying by keeping open an old thread when it seems to... well, annoy some people :LOL:

As for me, whether or not the original posters and OP are still here to comment is irrelevant. If I see a thread that interests me and it's currently active (whether or not it's a new or old thread) then I'll go ahead and toss in my $0.2.

If I see a thread that interests me and it's currently active (whether or not it's a new or old thread) then I'll go ahead and toss in my $0.2.

I don't think anyone is blaming you for responding to an active thread. Looking through the posts, I see that "kenmiller" is the first new response to a thread from 2009. His post is "Hi there, Taco is my best Mexican food." I wonder if he responded to some spambot that resurrected this old thread? And a moderator deleted the spam post?

Usually they're searching for some keywords and respond to the thread so that they increase the visibility/reference count for some website/blog they're promoting.

Well, I didn't want to be annoying by keeping open an old thread when it seems to... well, annoy some people [emoji38]

As for me, whether or not the original posters and OP are still here to comment is irrelevant. If I see a thread that interests me and it's currently active (whether or not it's a new or old thread) then I'll go ahead and toss in my $0.2.

I wasn't annoyed, and my post wasn't directed to you specifically. As I said, in the past, people have been confused by seeing old threads. It's cool that that's not the case with you, but it has happened. My only intention was to let people know not to expect a response. So keep tossing! [emoji38] Different perspectives make the forums interesting.

Last edited:
I wasn't annoyed, and my post wasn't directed to you specifically. As I said, in the past, people have been confused by seeing old threads. It's cool that that's not the case with you, but it has happened. My only intention was to let people know not to expect a response. So keep tossing! [emoji38] Different perspectives make the forums interesting.

I've actually done that in the past... posted in a thread and then realized the thread was started in 1852.

:LOL:

Right?

:online2lo :angel:

Oh well. It died fast enough. Which I was thankful for because that was embarrassing. People were probably like "Oh look at this newbie, she has no idea what the heck she's doing."

Anyway, speaking of Mexican food that's not really Mexican, I must admit I'm a Taco Bell addict. Wondering if anyone else here likes TB?

I prefer Taco John's, but it is a fairly local chain...far superior to Taco Bell. That being said, I love our Mexican Restaurant in town, they have fantastic food and it is hard to choose a favorite. Love their refries.

I prefer Taco John's, but it is a fairly local chain...far superior to Taco Bell. That being said, I love our Mexican Restaurant in town, they have fantastic food and it is hard to choose a favorite. Love their refries.

I've heard Taco John's is definitely better than Taco Bell. But we don't have those here.

We used to have a chain called Zantigo and they were so good. But they disappeared, so all we have left (as far as fast food Mexican) is Taco Bell.

Anyway, speaking of Mexican food that's not really Mexican, I must admit I'm a Taco Bell addict. Wondering if anyone else here likes TB?

I like Taco Bell, too. When I was a teenager, it was a great place to go with friends for an inexpensive lunch or dinner. Later, I learned to make more authentic Mexican and Tex/Mex food, but when I'm out shopping, I stop in for a snack or lunch.

I like Taco Bell, too. When I was a teenager, it was a great place to go with friends for an inexpensive lunch or dinner. Later, I learned to make more authentic Mexican and Tex/Mex food, but when I'm out shopping, I stop in for a snack or lunch.

My favorites there are, unfortunately, the most calorific. The taco salad, the Mexican pizza and the Crunchwrap are 3 of my favorite things from TB. But, most of the time, I get 2 steak soft tacos, Fresco style. I only get the calorific things on rare occasions.

Meant to ask you what you normally get from Taco Bell :)

Very basic, lol I like to get the three hard-shell beef tacos with extra cheese. Then I get a few medium taco sauce packets, one for each taco.

Very basic, lol I like to get the three hard-shell beef tacos with extra cheese. Then I get a few medium taco sauce packets, one for each taco.

Basic, but yummy. I love the standard crunchy tacos. One time, maybe a couple years ago, I was craving those things. So I stopped at TB on my way home from work and bought one of the party packs (not sure if they still have those or not) that comes with 12 tacos I think? Anyway, I got home and was so hungry that I stood there and ate 3 of them in about 10 minutes, lol.

I used to adore Taco Bell in the 1960s. It was my first experience with Mexican food. One hard shell taco made a great, inexpensive snack on the way home from high school. It wasn't until decades later that I finally got to try authentic Mexican food. I don't think there are any Taco Bells here.

I had a Taco Bell on my route, back in the 80s, and some other carriers and I would meet there, maybe once a week, for lunch, and I would bring things to "spice up" the food with. A high school kid that worked there used to eat the peppers I would bring in, then freak out from them, and go outside and clean up the parking lot in his "endorphin rush". The manager loved it! A few months ago, a guy came up to me in a store, and said "Do you remember me?" My wheels were spinning, and then he said something like "Ive changed a lot, but you still look the same". Then he told me he was that kid, and I said "Ooooohhhhh -I remember you! Do you still eat hot stuff?" He told me he did, but not real hot stuff - that was probably the hottest stuff he ever had. I told him to be glad I didn't grow back then, what I grow now.

I don't even know what Taco Bell has now, but that was really the only fast food place I ever went to on a regular basis. I'm glad I don't any more!

Homemade tamales are one of my favorites and I once made a black mole from scratch for chicken mole. We have two local places the we consider good Mexican food and Taco Bell isn't one of them.

Besides Huevo Rancheros Especial, my favotite would have to be my (in)famous breakfast chimichanga (https://youtu.be/6dCeAKgLitc) served with my special suces (https://youtu.be/6uz2pITonEs). I also love sopapillas(https://youtu.be/RK7mlncKipk), but you only find them in Texas, Arizona and New Mexico, not California. In fact, if you ask the typical Mexican resturant owner in So Cal, they never even heard of them!

Huevos Rancheros Especiale

Ingredients:

1 six-inch corn or flour tortilla
1 tsp butter
¼ cup Ranch Style Beans
2oz fresh chorizo
1 egg
¼ cup salsa picante
Shredded Mexican style cheese blend
1 Tbs Crema Mexican (or sour cream)
1 Tbs guacamole
1 Tbs fresh cilantro, chopped

Instructions:

Heat Ranch Style Beans in a saucepan over medium heat.

Melt 1 tsp butter in cast iron skillet or frying pan. Heat the tortilla in the skillet until lightly brown on both sides. Place the tortilla on a serving plate.

Sauté the chorizo in a non-stick pan over medium heat until brown and crumbly. Spoon the Ranch Style Beans evenly over the tortilla and add the chorizo on top of the beans.

In the non-stick pan, cook an egg to your preference. Place the egg on top of the chorizo, sprinkle shredded cheese over the egg, add the salsa, Crema Mexican and/or guacamole, and garnish with fresh cilantro.

Last edited:
I love Taco Bell and I also love the tacos at Taco Time. The only problem with Taco Bell is I have to add cheese to everything they make. They've gotten really chintzy on cheese.

If I had to pick a fave at Taco Bell, though, it would have been their steak soft tacos with lime sauce. I still can't find a way to replicate that lime sauce.

But my favorite Mexican food is chicken nachos. The chicken has to be spiced just right and so far I've only found two places that make them the way I like them. One place was in Minnesota and the other place is a little hole-in-the-wall restaurant in the town I'll be moving to. I also love refried beans, but again, they have to be taste a certain way. So far no one around where I live makes good refried beans. La Fonda in San Jose used to make great refried beans.

Back
Top Bottom