What is your favorite Mexican/Tex-Mex food???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mexican mama

Senior Cook
I want to find out what favorite Mexican/Tex-Mex food or recipe...im planning to compile a list so that I can incorporate it in my aunt's menu in her restobar....any suggestions will do:chef:

tex-mex-flank-steak-and-vegetables.jpg

Favorite Mexican: Carnitas or Carne Asada. Perfect Carnitas almost crispy outside and fall apart tender inside. Carne Asada seasoned and cooked over an open fire.

Favorite Tex-Mex: Carne Guisada

Fish tacos!
burritos made with small chunks of slow cooked beef in a savory enchilada sauce!
Chili rellenos stuffed with cheese and ground beef!

Now I'm hungry....

I'm a sucker for a good cheese enchilada, verde or red. With a side of rice and beans. With a splotch of sour cream on top of all three ;) And a good margarita...chips and lots of mild chunky salsa. That's a perfect mexican dinner for me.

I have only eaten Tex Mex once, not sure what I had, I think it was a ground beef steak of some sort, with sauce on top. I wasn't impressed.

Without a doubt, my favorite is chili rellanos (with the seeds removed!)

But for a snack, I can eat my weight in shredded beef and cheese taquitos.

Good luck to your aunt and her restobar.

restobar

as an aside, what the heck is a "restobar"? Sounds like the opposite of an energy bar to me, LOLOL

UPdate to add a definition found on the web:

It is a meaningless term, like "appie" for appetizer, coined to attempt to make a restaurant with a bar sound like something new and cutting edge.

Fear any restobar, because if they need a new word, their food is probably third rate.

Okayyyyy then.

A restobar is a restaurant not only that has good food but also good drinks...its a popular term in the Philippines in which a place not only serves full course meals but can also be a place that serves alcohol and where you can hear good live music;)

I appreciate the fact that you distinguished between Mexican and Tex-Mex!

My problem is that it just depends on my mood at the time ... chicken enchiladas smothered in chili verde and topped with a queso blanco sauce and maybe a big dollop of sour cream, beef or pork enchiladas with chili con carne (the chili and meat sauce, not the chili con carne that is a soup/stew), tamales (any kind) ... chimichangas, tacos, you name it and I like it!

My one favorite? The combination platter!

It is hard to choose, and yes, there are even more differentiations in Mexican (it's a pretty large country with regional styles of cooking) and US-Mex food (not just Tex-Mex, New Mexico and other states with that ethnic background have their own versions). That said, my favorites are chile relleno and my cousin's New Mexico Green Chili Stew (which I'm about to make since my husband roasted a large batch of poblanos this fall). My least favorite is a burrito that has rice in it. Too much starch (I believe it was a place near the border in Texas and if I remember right, they called it Jalisco style, but it's been a number of years, so I wouldn't swear to it). Just too much starch.

rice in a burrito

It is hard to choose, and yes, there are even more differentiations in Mexican (it's a pretty large country with regional styles of cooking) and US-Mex food (not just Tex-Mex, New Mexico and other states with that ethnic background have their own versions). That said, my favorites are chile relleno and my cousin's New Mexico Green Chili Stew (which I'm about to make since my husband roasted a large batch of poblanos this fall). My least favorite is a burrito that has rice in it. Too much starch (I believe it was a place near the border in Texas and if I remember right, they called it Jalisco style, but it's been a number of years, so I wouldn't swear to it). Just too much starch.

It can be too starchy at times when there is too much rice in the burrito..one thing i learned is that when u want to add rice in a burrito I make sure that that rice is not oily,.,i like to fry the rice a bit with no oil coz it will lessen for the burrito to become starchy and heavy...poblano chillies are great,,,can be a very versatile ingredient.thanks for sharing:)

Fajitas Mexicanas, quesadillas and chimichangas (sp?) The restaurant that we go to has this great goat cheese that is thinner than a typical nacho cheese but tastes AMAZING!!!
Good luck with your restaturant! :cool:

Great topic, MM! My fave is Flautas! Chicken ones, to be exact. :) Mmmmm youve given me a great idea of what to make this weekend! Haven't had them in a long time.

thanks

Fajitas Mexicanas, quesadillas and chimichangas (sp?) The restaurant that we go to has this great goat cheese that is thinner than a typical nacho cheese but tastes AMAZING!!!
Good luck with your restaturant! :cool:

thanks;;il tell my aunt...i do love chimichangas...its one of my favorite mexican/tex-mex food;)

Breakfast chilequiles with red sauce , Carne asada , Chile relleno con queso, shredded beef chimichanga. Carnitas and Carne asada tacos, the mexican style ones with the 2 little corn tortillas. Some kind of a Sangria cocktail too.

Back
Top Bottom