What kind of Indian dishes do you like?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
...you add this until the color of the whole dish looks like this". No amounts, just added in 'pinches or dabs' and stirred in well until the proper color happens...

This is exactly how it went with my neighbor. Add tandoori masala to a certain color. She was appalled when see saw how far off she was in the measurements she gave me. Then again with adding the yogurt, until finally we got the right color and she knew we were done!

Thanks for the reference, tinlizzie. :flowers:

I just ordered that book at Amazon for a total of $9, including shipping. :)

I love curries. I mean....I *really, really* love curries! :pig::pig::pig:

This will be a well used addition to my cookbook collection! :excl:

I hope you'll share with us, when you get your book, which dish you chose and how it turned out. I should experiment more instead of making the same one over and over. But I love it so much and it gets easier each time! I certainly have learned that mise en place is essential.

For all you curryaholics http://www.mamtaskitchen.com/ is accepted as one of the best blogs in the UK.
Andy M check out the Murgh Makhani (butter chicken) its spot on.
The Indian food on this blog is authentic UK home style cooking not restaurant style.:)

Last edited by a moderator:
This is exactly how it went with my neighbor. Add tandoori masala to a certain color. She was appalled when see saw how far off she was in the measurements she gave me. Then again with adding the yogurt, until finally we got the right color and she knew we were done!

Oh man, do I love masala seasoning. I use "Laxmi Brand Pav Bhaji Masala" in a lot of dishes. Sometimes just a pinch makes all the difference in the world.

It's easy to see why when you see the list of it's ingredients:

Red Chilli, Coriander, Cumin, Dry Mango, Fennel, Cassia, Bay Leaves, Common Salt, Black Cardamom, Caraway, Green Gardamom, Star Anise, Clove, Anise Pepper.

What a complex group of seasonings and flavors, all-in-one! :chef:

I hope you'll share with us, when you get your book, which dish you chose and how it turned out. I should experiment more instead of making the same one over and over. But I love it so much and it gets easier each time! I certainly have learned that mise en place is essential.

I sure will share my favorites from that book! I can't wait until it gets here!:excl:

"mise en place" is the key to great sushi also!:pig:

Last edited:
I like a creamed spinach-chickpea dish (for which I don't know the name). A friend is married to a guy from New Dehli and they are vegetarians. She shares a lot of his family recipes with me. You want to buy curry leaves if you want to make your own curry. I like to take a curry-like blend and toss green beans with a bit of olive oil and the spice mixture (the beans are steamed to tender--just a tad more than blanched).

Ah, yes, kaffir lime. I consider that to be Thai cuisine and I don't cook thai (allergic to coconut), so that's not something I've ever used. I can see that if you cook Thai that you wouldn't use that much outside of that cuisine. Methi is just fenugreek, and I do use that for other dishes, but don't use it fresh. I use turmeric and cardamom, too, in other things. Garam masala is just a mixture of spices, so I make my own. Same with curry, which is a mixture.

I guess all I'm saying is that those who might be new to Indian cooking shouldn't be put off by the spices or by the COST of spices because they really are quite common and will not go to waste if you cook a variety of cuisines. Even if you just cook Mexican at home, many of the spices will cross those borders. I know that my Indian friends say that when they talk to people about their native foods that overwhelmingly, the spices are what put people off of trying to cook it at home. It's such a healthy diet and I just wanted to point out that it's not difficult, the spices are not complicated even though they use a lot, and it's not cost-prohibitive (or waste-inducing because you're really not going to throw all of those spices away). You probably have 90% of what you need already in your spice cupboard.

I hear ya. And honestly, after acquire so many spices, its a good excuse to expand into other areas of the world your not experienced in.

Good stuff Andy M, it is that dish that morphed into chicken tikka masala in the UK.
One of my all time favs is spiced potato dosas with carrot and mustard seed salad.:)

I never tried Indian food until wife and I watched the food network and caught Aarti's Party. We made the Kale & Mango Salad but substituted spinach for the kale and it was just awesome. What a quick and easy resipe! We have an open mind now to Indian cooking and would like to find an authentic Indian restaurant (should not be too hard in the big city of Cleveland) to get a little more experience with the flavors and spices. I've had Thai curry and liked it. I wonder if there's a difference. There is so much to learn from other cultures with food being only one of them.

Ray the problem you will find is that for all the Indian Restaurants to produce Authentic food from beef, lamb and pork (pork is used in christian Indian cooking ie Portuguese Vindaloo) is the time it would take to make gravy based dishes.
Most if not all in the UK use the batch cooking method so if I make a traditional method dish with exactly the same ingredients as a batch cooked dish the two will taste very different. I have to say I prefer the batch cooking method at home as you get a fresher more vibrant taste.
Thai red and green "curry" are very tasty dishes, if you like them you should like most coastal food like Bangladeshi cuisine.:)

The links not working for me. But I'm gonna google until I find it, lol.

I'm gonna check out yours too andy.

I see Indian food requires a thousand spices and seasoning.... Guess I'll have to wait until I try it at a restuarant. Cause I won't be making it. I just don't have the patience and commitment to a long list of ingredients..

We used to have one night a week devoted to Indian food at our house, so I've had quite a few different regional dishes from different parts of India. I like almost all of them.

But my hands down favorite is Pork Vindaloo. The real Goan stuff, fiery and heavily laced with vinegar. Not the pale imitation that a lot of restaurants call vindaloo.

One that I get while I am out is chicken over ( yellow ) rice with a side salad from the food cart.

We used to have one night a week devoted to Indian food at our house, so I've had quite a few different regional dishes from different parts of India. I like almost all of them.

But my hands down favorite is Pork Vindaloo. The real Goan stuff, fiery and heavily laced with vinegar. Not the pale imitation that a lot of restaurants call vindaloo.

I love the more Hindu influenced Food of Goa, but the seafood dishes, Holy smokes, SO GOOD!

I also like more Southern Indian, specifically Dosa. I could eat Dosa daily, and am grateful to have an Indian place that specializes in Mumbai style street foods.

BIG fan of Rogan Josh, anything Vindaloo, anything out of the tandoor is always a treat, Samosa, Saag, Daal, Kheer, Chicken 65. . .good, I could go on and on. . .

+1 tatt.

i love goan seafood, as well as dosa street food and tandoor.

tandoor cooked roti aloo, stuffed with herbs and spuds. or tandoor head-on spiced shrimp.

there's a joint on 10th ave that has delicious chicken necks vindaloo, and veggie korma. and paneer, and so on.

man, i need some indian food. lol.

Back
Top Bottom