Yorkshire Puddings

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yeah thats pretty much it Greg. Although for a roast dinner, I would serve individual puddings, but making a big one and cutting it up is fine too (a big one with sausages in is toad in the hole). I just use hot oil, not necessarily beef dripping and that works too. Lots of people swear by cold mix, hot oil, hot oven. Yorkshire puddings hang around and reheat ok too.

You guys have me DROOLING!!! I haven't had a bone-in Prime Rib Roast in DECADES. Have boneless once in awhile when dining out (have yet to come across a restaurant that regularly serves bone-in), but since it's just the two of us, haven't cooked one in a long while.

My mother used to make an absolutely to-die-for bone-in Prime Rib Roast with Yorkshire Pudding. I seem to remember her doing them in large muffin tins so they came out sort of like Popovers. Boy were they delicious - dense but light at the same time, & full of beefy goodness.

You guys have me DROOLING!!! I haven't had a bone-in Prime Rib Roast in DECADES. Have boneless once in awhile when dining out (have yet to come across a restaurant that regularly serves bone-in), but since it's just the two of us, haven't cooked one in a long while.

My mother used to make an absolutely to-die-for bone-in Prime Rib Roast with Yorkshire Pudding. I seem to remember her doing them in large muffin tins so they came out sort of like Popovers. Boy were they delicious - dense but light at the same time, & full of beefy goodness.

Just the two of us also Bacardi, but I do bone in Prime Rib Roast often. The secret is to roast one with just one bone. When I find PR on sale I slice them into individual roasts of one bone and freeze. To keep it "standing" in the pan, I run a bamboo skewer through the roast with the ends of the skewer resting on the pan edges. Cut off the bone, and slice in half, that way you each get an outside cut. The law is that the bone belongs to the cook. ;):chef:

As for making Toad in the Hole, bacon grease is a flavorful, although non healthy replacement for the oil. :yum:

Just the two of us also Bacardi, but I do bone in Prime Rib Roast often. The secret is to roast one with just one bone. When I find PR on sale I slice them into individual roasts of one bone and freeze. To keep it "standing" in the pan, I run a bamboo skewer through the roast with the ends of the skewer resting on the pan edges. Cut off the bone, and slice in half, that way you each get an outside cut. The law is that the bone belongs to the cook. ;):chef:

As for making Toad in the Hole, bacon grease is a flavorful, although non healthy replacement for the oil. :yum:

That is a great idea!

I only cook a standing rib every couple of years because I can't use such a large roast.

I never thought of erecting scaffolding on a smaller roast. :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

I need to give this a try!

Yeah thats pretty much it Greg. Although for a roast dinner, I would serve individual puddings, but making a big one and cutting it up is fine too (a big one with sausages in is toad in the hole). I just use hot oil, not necessarily beef dripping and that works too. Lots of people swear by cold mix, hot oil, hot oven. Yorkshire puddings hang around and reheat ok too.
Okay thanks for the feedback! I was a bit nervous posting because this is an ethnic recipe from a region I've never visited, so all I know about it is eating it in local restaurants which may or may not be authentic.

Perhaps the restaurant made pie sized Yorkshire puddings because it was easier to do in mass. I enjoyed it this way, in some ways it resembled pizza in form. I could pick it up and nibble part of the center or part of the edge.

The beef drippings gave it a delicious beefy flavor!

I used to do much the same thing. I'd buy prime rib roasts when on sale and look for 4-bone roasts, then I'd cut them in half for two 2-bone roasts, freeze one and cook the other. It made a nice dinner for two big eaters, both bone-in end pieces. For some reason I always got a nice crust and medium rare inside, just how I like it.

also good to remember that Yorkshire pudding can also be a desert, as my Yorkshire pudding recipe book suggests.

Don't know if you realize mcduff - this thread is from 2012. Whether or not you realized I'm grateful that you commented - I might have missed this.

One Rib Standing - Wow - thank guys, can hardly wait to try. IF it ever comes on sale. :ermm:

How do you serve it as a dessert? With what?

Ahhh! I guess if the pudding/popovers are made with vegie oil, you could even put in a drop of vanilla? Or is the oven to high. Is there a limit to the heat a flavouring can take?

So used to using pan drippings or lard - it was/is hard to imagine dessert - but looky there! Anything is possible if you put your mind to it! Thanks!

My mom was from Barrow in Furnace in the north of England. My father's family was from Germany but I have no idea where in Germany. Mom often made roast beef and Yorkshire pudding when we had a dinner party.

I made it once way back when I didn't know how to cook and amazingly it was absolute perfection!

I didn't know that the puddings could be reheated successfully. That's great news since I only cook for myself. I will make it again soon...perhaps for Christmas.

On the rare occasions I have made Yorkshire Pudding, I made it right in the roasting pan with the drippings. I have also used the recipe for Pop Overs. A big favorite of my daughter and her hubby! When I gave her the recipe for them, she was shocked by how simple they are to make.

Last edited:
Yes, they are very good!

Also, Dutch babies.

I don't make a Sunday roast very often but, I do like to make a quick Yorkshire pudding if I have some meat and gravy to use up. It seems a little more special than a typical American hot roast beef sandwich. Who am i kidding, now days the beef is more of a memory and it is usually roast pork or chicken! It's all good!:ermm::ohmy::LOL:
According to food magazines, TV programmes, pubs serving food, etc., "yorkies" are eaten with anything you fancy these days, not just beef.

Back
Top Bottom