Apparently, eggs are no longer hard boiled

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Coincidence?

This just popped up on my FB feed..

How To Hard-Boil Eggs in the Instant Pot

Ross
More likely Google is looking over your shoulder. :glare:

We'll be watching something on TV, wonder something about what we're watching, and as soon as I start a Google search (s)he suggests just the right link. I take a call from a doctor with a particular specialty...and the next time I open the Tune-In radio app the ad is for alternates to colonoscopy. :ohmy: Big Brother doesn't have to watch us - it just needs to make friends with Google, Alexa, et al...

More likely Google is looking over your shoulder. :glare:

We'll be watching something on TV, wonder something about what we're watching, and as soon as I start a Google search (s)he suggests just the right link. I take a call from a doctor with a particular specialty...and the next time I open the Tune-In radio app the ad is for alternates to colonoscopy. :ohmy: Big Brother doesn't have to watch us - it just needs to make friends with Google, Alexa, et al...
If Ida knowed dat, Ida combed my hair.. :wacko: :ROFLMAO:
Ross

The peeled eggs you buy at the supermarket sealed with nitrogen last over a month if unopened. I've stopped making hard boiled eggs. They are sold 2 or 6 eggs to a pack.

I predict that soon we'll be able to buy a storage pack system where nitrogen is added to a storage bag, thus extending the freshness of some fruits and vegetables.

Last edited:
I use a modified Julia Child technique. Cover eggs with water, bring to a boil in a covered saucepan on high. Immediately remove from heat, let stand for 10-12 minutes depending on how "hard boiled" you want them, drain and replace with cold tap water twice, let cool. Perfect hard boiled eggs, no green rim every time. You can also soft boil, timing starting at 6 minutes.

After cooling, drain water, shake, rattle and roll eggs in pan to crack shells, fill pan with water to cover, let stand for a few, then peel. Comes off clean to nearly clean every time depending on age of egg.

Pretty much what I do and have never had a problem.

In fact, just cooked 2 eggs today for potato salad for tonight's meal.

When I do eggs on the stove - I cover cold eggs with cold water, add salt to pot and cover with lid. Bring to boil then lower to a simmer. Simmer for 7 minutes then turn heat off. Leave lid on and allow to sit 2 minutes. Drain and run under cold water. When cool enough to hold in palm of hand drain water and crack shells. Allow to sit in cold water for approximately 1/2 hour.

Sounds fool proof. The big obvious is not to make hb eggs with freshly bought eggs. I forget the science behind it. Something about the membrane.

Last edited:
Sounds fool proof. The big obvious is not to make hb eggs with freshly bought eggs. I forget the science behind it. Something about the membrane.

Yes. Fresh eggs have no space between the membrane and liquid. Older eggs lose moisture and this allows the membrane to loosen and makes the egg easier to peel.

Of soft-cooked eggs... Start the toaster. Pierce hole in fat end, boil 2 eggs for 5 minutes (refrigerated eggs are cold). Remove immediately, crack and peel under cold running water (hot hot hot). Plop peeled eggs into small bowl, add salt and pepper. Toast is ready. Marmalade or berry jelly.

Comfort food to me, not a breakfast meal.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom