Are there special uses for Duck Eggs?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

blissful

Master Chef
Our friends up the road sent us some HUGE eggs--even the chicken eggs barely fit in the cardboard container (we give them our empty ones).

They sent us some duck eggs--they said the white ones are the duck eggs, is there a special use for them or just treat them like chicken eggs?

I feel like a LUCKY DUCK to have friends like this! :LOL:

Saturday morning, we may have to make some coddled eggs--cooked to perfection (but, duck or chicken, that is the question).

I was served a fried duck egg once. It was tasty and had two yolks. It was about the equivalent of two chicken eggs.

I believe there was a thread about duck eggs last spring. It seems to me, the person found that the cake made using duck eggs was "loftier." From what I've heard, duck eggs are "richer" in taste. I considered getting a couple of ducks, but I don't have a pond....still thinking about getting a couple of ducks next spring.

I believe there was a thread about duck eggs last spring. It seems to me, the person found that the cake made using duck eggs was "loftier." From what I've heard, duck eggs are "richer" in taste. I considered getting a couple of ducks, but I don't have a pond....still thinking about getting a couple of ducks next spring.

Remember ducks can fly. You will have to clip their wings to keep them from going south in the winter. Or plan on putting them in the freezer for future meals. :yum:

We had free range yard fowl in Texas which included turkeys, ducks, chickens, etc. I used to find eggs all over the place. One day I saw one of the hen ducks forming a clutch. Normally, I broke up clutches when I found them. We had enough yard fowl. But the hen was working so hard trying to hide her eggs, I let her finish. When the ducklings were hatched, I was pregnant with my youngest. I had on a yellow top. The same color and the ducklings. One day while waddling down to the road to get the mail, the babies were following. My husband said he couldn't tell the difference between me and the babies.

There were about eight ducklings. One day I noticed that a couple of them were missing. And I also noticed that our resident water moccasin had a big lump inside him. That was the last clutch I allowed to form. The kids were heartbroken when I told them what happened. They were just starting to lose their baby down. And one of them was going to be a drake. :ohmy:

:flowers:I love that story Addie!! Well, without the snake part.

We also had some duck eggs given to us years ago. The shell was not only a lot bigger, but a lot harder and the yolks were such a bright color. Someone mentioned they tasted "richer" and I would agree. They were delicious!

Gotta order some duck eggs (except, I think he said his ducks stopped laying for the winter...oh, well, I'll try and get some in the spring).

Gotta order some duck eggs (except, I think he said his ducks stopped laying for the winter...oh, well, I'll try and get some in the spring).

There is a good reason they stop laying in the winter. Do you want them to hatch in the middle of winter and then freeze to death? And most ponds of water are frozen over when they hatch. Where is mommy go to lead them to? It is very hard to swim on ice. :chef:

There is a good reason they stop laying in the winter. Do you want them to hatch in the middle of winter and then freeze to death? And most ponds of water are frozen over when they hatch. Where is mommy go to lead them to? It is very hard to swim on ice. :chef:
Isn't that called skating?

Memories are everything, one of mine is of my Mum as a beautiful young woman lying on the lawn with a bowl of warm water helping the duckling out of the eggs.They come out like blobs of snot then 30 mins later they are fluffy golden balls.:)

Memories are everything, one of mine is of my Mum as a beautiful young woman lying on the lawn with a bowl of warm water helping the duckling out of the eggs.They come out like blobs of snot then 30 mins later they are fluffy golden balls.:)

That is defintely a memory to keep forever. What amazed me is that they are ready to start looking for food as soon as they can stand up. :)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom