Boil milk to increase shelf life?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mech3d

Assistant Cook
This is a new one to me, someone I know told me that if you boil milk it will increase its shelf life.

I am not to sure about this because once you open the package, the milk is exposed to air which shortens the shelf life.

I could Google this, but I though it may be interesting as a general topic for others to be aware of.

Thoughts...comment?

Thanks,
Joe

I have never done it.

I have read that it will extend the shelf life another week or so.

Years ago people would can milk to use when the family cow went dry.

canning milk

I think in my situation I would look for a recipe that would use up an extra quart or two of milk. You could also freeze it in meal size containers if you don't have time to use it before it spoils.

This is a new one to me, someone I know told me that if you boil milk it will increase its shelf life.

I am not to sure about this because once you open the package, the milk is exposed to air which shortens the shelf life.

I could Google this, but I though it may be interesting as a general topic for others to be aware of.

Thoughts...comment?

Thanks,
Joe

It's actually microbes in the air, not air itself, that cause spoilage. Most milk is pasteurized, which means it has already been heated to kill the pathogens in it. If you were to boil it, you would also need to sterilize the pan you're boiling it in, and the container you store it in, each time you used some. This is not easy to do at home :)

Joe

100% true.

Question is why would you do that? Do you live in some rural area where milk is not available? Do you drink only special kind of milk that you can only get once in awhile? Do you drink only kosher milk that has to come on a slow boat from NY and sometimes it just doesn't happen?

Another thing to consider, milk changes it's taste when boiled. It tastes, ahhh... well, it tastes boiled.

Good points. We have a family member who works in the dairy industry who gives us lots of free milk, more than we can drink before the expiration date.

My suggestion: Either consume more milk in the time alotted by the USE BY (that is not an expiraiton) DATE plus 5 to 7 days, or buy your milk in smaller containers

Good points. We have a family member who works in the dairy industry who gives us lots of free milk, more than we can drink before the expiration date.

I would share it myself since you get it for free. Do your friends have children also? I bet they'd love to be gifted with free milk. By the way, your baby is beautiful!

In the past I've frozen unopened milk containers and it thaws just fine.

Last edited:
I've frozen milk just as it is and it's okay.

I would worry about boiling milk, but I'm no expert at all.

Honestly, I have no idea on this.

Is it raw milk?

How about making yogourt, quark, cottage cheese, mozzarella & ricotta, or paneer?

Yeah, that's what I figured, but I also thought there was a teensy chance that it is raw. ;)

Why does milk in wax cartons or jugs have an earlier expiration date than that of a small 16 oz. plastic milk container that has an expiration date at least a month ahead?

Last edited:
Why does milk in wax cartons or jugs have an earlier expiration date than that of a small 16 oz. plastic milk container that has an expiration date at least a month ahead?

Check the label on that plastic container. My guess is that it's ULTRA pasteurized, meaning it's heated to a much higher temperature than that used for regular pasteurization. It has a longer shelf life, but I don't much care for the flavor myself.

I'd follow the suggestion of making cheese myself, maybe even try some cheeses that require aging if you have someplace cool (but not fridge) to store them. Plus you can use the leftover whey liquid to fertilize your garden if you have one. If you get cream, mascarpone is a good one to make.

Check the label on that plastic container. My guess is that it's ULTRA pasteurized, meaning it's heated to a much higher temperature than that used for regular pasteurization. It has a longer shelf life, but I don't much care for the flavor myself.

Very interesting. My first thought to the question was 'because air can work it way through the cardboard container. And it can't when it is a plastic container.' But the ultra pasteurization makes more sense.

I have had raw milk and cream for my coffee. Pasteurizing really changes the taste of both. The Ultra kills even more of the fresh taste. You used to be able to buy raw milk products when I lived in Tacoma, Washington. But in the back of my mind I seem to recall that the Federal Govt. or USDA had a law passed that you can no longer buy raw milk. Too bad. Raw milk has such a rich flavor. :angel:

I have had raw milk and cream for my coffee. Pasteurizing really changes the taste of both. The Ultra kills even more of the fresh taste. You used to be able to buy raw milk products when I lived in Tacoma, Washington. But in the back of my mind I seem to recall that the Federal Govt. or USDA had a law passed that you can no longer buy raw milk. Too bad. Raw milk has such a rich flavor. :angel:

So, this happened: After Legalizing Raw Milk, Legislators Fall Ill From Drinking Raw Milk

Darn that USDA, trying to keep people healthy. Who do they think they are?? :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
Last edited:
Like I said that is a SELL BY date, not an expiration date. Depending on the temperature of your refrigerator, it can go as much as 10 days from that date, and you can still use the sour milk for cooking and baking. Waste not, want not!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom