Boiled scrambled eggs?? Do you cook eggs this way??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I've see and had eggs cooked in boiling water with the eggs in a plastic bag, but have never even heard of anyone doing scrambled eggs directly in the boiling water. Interesting.

Some of my friends do "omelets" in ziplock bags in boiling water. They are okay, but not the taste treat of an omelet cooked in real butter.

CD

I saw this video a while ago and made a mental note to try it out of curiosity. As CD said, the lack of butter or bacon fat will make a difference. I don't think a drizzle of olive oil will make the difference.

Still gonna try it though.

Nope. I'll stick with either poached in simmering water, or scrambled in butter in my little Teflon pan.

I can't imagine dumping a bowl of whisked eggs in a pot of water and calling them 'scrambled'. Eww. JMO.

Last edited:
I saw this video a while ago and made a mental note to try it out of curiosity. As CD said, the lack of butter or bacon fat will make a difference. I don't think a drizzle of olive oil will make the difference.

Still gonna try it though.

Tell us how it turns out. I am curious, but I don't know that I am curious enough to try it -- especially if you try it and tell me about it. :LOL:

I don't eat scrambled eggs as often as I'd like to. So, when I do, I go all out decadent using a chunk of butter my doctor would not approve of. :cool:

CD

Anything that will keep me from having to clean up the mess that's called a pan after I've scrambled some eggs. I'm going to try it tomorrow morning and if it works, that's how eggs are gonna be done till I get a non-stick pan to cook them in.

After today's mess, it certainly couldn't get any worse.

Edit: in the video, why is she straining her eggs before she whips them? I've never seen that before.

Last edited:
Anything that will keep me from having to clean up the mess that's called a pan after I've scrambled some eggs. I'm going to try it tomorrow morning and if it works, that's how eggs are gonna be done till I get a non-stick pan to cook them in.

Edit: in the video, why is she straining her eggs before she whips them? I've never seen that before.
I have a non-stick skillet that I use only for eggs and the occasional crepes. It couldn't be easier to clean - stuff just wipes right out.

I don't know why she's doing that for scrambled eggs. Some people do that for poached eggs because it gets rid of the little strings.

Last edited:

I can't imagine not having a nonstick "egg pan" in my kitchen. I have a fairly heavy 8" aluminum nonstick pan that gets used almost exclusively for my morning eggs a couple of times per week. I do small omelets, scrambles, and sunny side up fried. I only do omelets on rare occasions.

I use many omelet ingredients in my scrambles, but I just don't worry about making them look as pretty. Chopped onion, peppers (including jalapeños), mushrooms, etc. (pretty much whatever I have in the veggie drawer), sautéed in butter, then add the beaten eggs and cook just done, not dry. Stir in some shredded cheese and let it melt from the residual heat.

Buy a cheap-o nonstick egg pan, stat!

Interesting.

When I add beaten eggs to soups like Stracciatelli or Avgolemono I don't get a similar looking result.

I'll give it a try!

OK, first experiment over! I can report that eggs do indeed scramble in boiling water but - and this is a big but (bigger than mine even) - you'd better have the eggs at room temperature before adding them to boiling water.

As anyone who has cooked and/or taken a chemistry class knows, adding something cold to boiling water lowers the temp and sometimes stop the water from boiling. Having both cooked (as in I should know better) and taken a chem class (OK, it was back in 1982), I have to admit I do lack a lot of common sense.

So I poured the straight-out-of-the-fridge beaten eggs into the boiling water resembling a liquid tornado and got - mush.

I'll give this a try another day, maybe when I have more eggs to waste. Meantime, I can assure everyone that what comes out of that pot is probably not going to be dry. Disgustingly so if you make the eggs the way I made them.

I did bring the water back up to boiling to see what happened and the eggs did scramble a little more, but I couldn't bring myself to eat what was there.

On the plus side, I think I learned how to make egg flower soup.

I think in the future a bag would be better but if I know my luck, the bag will probably melt.

Last edited:
A word of caution to all who mentioned boxing eggs in plastic bags. A lot of plastic bags, such as Ziplock freezer bags, contain components that can be carcinogenic in high heat conditions such as microwaving and boiling. Johnson & Johnson used to recommend you not use their bags to boil foods. This is also true of some plastic wraps. You are advised to keep the wrap at least 1" away from the food in a microwave.

Bag makers may have changed their formulations for bags but I am not aware of that.

Buy a cheap-o nonstick egg pan, stat!

I just replaced two pans that I bought two years ago. The small one cost me the grand sum of five dollars and the large one all of six dollars. When they get too scratched out they go and I replace them with el cheapo ones.

Considering the price I paid for each of them, two years of use was way beyond what I expected to get. Eleven dollars for two pans? And two years of use before you have to toss them? You can't beat that with a stick?

Any large grocery store has a section for household needs. Like wooden spoon and non stick pans.

I bought a non-stick pan at Walmart for $25 at least 10 years ago. It has no scratches because I only use it for eggs and the occasional crepes, and I only use a silicone spatula in it. I'd say $2.50 a year (so far - getting cheaper every year) is a bargain. And I'm not adding to the landfill by buying a decent quality pan instead of replacing it every couple of years.

OK, first experiment over! I can report that eggs do indeed scramble in boiling water but - and this is a big but (bigger than mine even) - you'd better have the eggs at room temperature before adding them to boiling water.

As anyone who has cooked and/or taken a chemistry class knows, adding something cold to boiling water lowers the temp and sometimes stop the water from boiling. Having both cooked (as in I should know better) and taken a chem class (OK, it was back in 1982), I have to admit I do lack a lot of common sense.

Question I don't know the answer to.
If using an Induction cooktop, and the water is at a boil, will it get back to that boil quicker ( when adding something cold to it) than a conventional cooktop?

Ive never worked with Induction appliances, so Im just curious about this.

...As anyone who has cooked and/or taken a chemistry class knows, adding something cold to boiling water lowers the temp and sometimes stop the water from boiling...

This is true. However, you can lessen the impact of this phenomenon but boiling a larger quantity of water. Not sure if it's worth it for a couple of scrambled eggs.

Question I don't know the answer to.
If using an Induction cooktop, and the water is at a boil, will it get back to that boil quicker ( when adding something cold to it) than a conventional cooktop?

Ive never worked with Induction appliances, so Im just curious about this.

Yes, the induction burners we have are basically like using gas. They heat up much faster and stop cooking other than residual heat in pan/food as soon as you turn them off. The ones we have, have different wattage settings, 600, 900, 1800. The 1800 watts will give you 575 degrees for searing or woking or super fast boiling water. You can also adjust temps in 5 degree increments. We haven't used the stove top since we got the 2 of them.

Last edited:
This is true. However, you can lessen the impact of this phenomenon but boiling a larger quantity of water. Not sure if it's worth it for a couple of scrambled eggs.

It's not. Plus if I heat the pan to high heat. my eggs get done faster than the water gets boiling. It was the largest pot I had and it was filled with a lot of water. Maybe one of these days I'll just amble on down and get a non-stick pan.

It's not. Plus if I heat the pan to high heat. my eggs get done faster than the water gets boiling. It was the largest pot I had and it was filled with a lot of water. Maybe one of these days I'll just amble on down and get a non-stick pan.

It sounds like you didn't wait for the water to come to a boil before adding the eggs. Am I misunderstanding? I think the intent was to add the eggs to boiling water.

Back
Top Bottom