Breakfast in a bag

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

4meandthem

Half Baked
This is a great camping/rving idea that really works well with any crowd. The idea is that everyone can make their own omelettes to their liking without a million dishes and no hassels.

Bring a big pot of water to a slow boil
Set out an assortment of omelette ingredients.
cheese,onions, whatever ya got!

Crack 2 eggs into a ziplock bag and add whatever ingredients you like.(Write your name on the bag first)
Knead the bag a little and place in the water for about 10 minutes. Out comes a pretty good omelette and not much clean-up.

This is a great camping/rving idea that really works well with any crowd. The idea is that everyone can make their own omelettes to their liking without a million dishes and no hassels.

Bring a big pot of water to a slow boil
Set out an assortment of omelette ingredients.
cheese,onions, whatever ya got!

Crack 2 eggs into a ziplock bag and add whatever ingredients you like.(Write your name on the bag first)
Knead the bag a little and place in the water for about 10 minutes. Out comes a pretty good omelette and not much clean-up.

Sorry to burst your bubble but it is not recommended to use Ziploc bags for boiling. The manufacturer's website also states their bags are not appropriate for boiling. I believe when the plastic gets over a certain temperature, it releases nasties.

I did some more reasearch and had no idea how controversial this is.

I do agree with both of you this should probably be avoided.

I even went to the Ziplock website and confirmed they don't recommend it but they didn't give a toxin reason.

Re that article on the 'Joy of Cooking' with plastic bags, I was gonna say that the bags used for sous vide are perfectly safe for your omelet rec and are pretty easy to find via the net or probably at kitchen stores. No idea how the omelet would come out but worth a try.

Cooking in any plastic will do that, especially in the microwave.

No, that's not true. Some plastic bags give off toxic gases and chemicals that can leech into the food being heated, when heated beyond a certain temperature and are not microwave oven safe. MSC is correct in the type of plastic bag that is proven safe to use. But regular zip-loc bags or no-name brands are not necessarily safe.

You should only cook with plastics that are microwave safe. If they are not they can melt and leach chemicals into your food.

You should only cook with plastics that are microwave safe. If they are not they can melt and leach chemicals into your food.

Yes, but more than microwave safe they have to be temperature safe. Supermarket freezer or storage bags do not qualify as safe for boiling (or microwaving).

Specialty bags, such as sous vide bags, are what is necessary.

Back
Top Bottom