Can I Substitute Ricotta for Cottage Cheese?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PA Baker

Master Chef
I have a baked macaroni and cheese recipe that calls for cottage cheese. This si the one ingredient that I don't have (also calls for cheddar and sour cream) so I was wondering if I could substitute ricotta for it, instead. It calls for 12 oz.

Thanks, Andy! That was my concern, too, since the ricotta I have is low-fat (I think that it's considered the 1/2-way point between part-skim and fat-free). Do you think that would make it too dry?

I am certainly no expert but I have substituted cottage cheese for ricotta so wonder if it would be okay in the reverse?

I sub them back & forth all the time. It'll work fine. The only difference you might notice is that ricotta is a tad "sweeter" than cottage cheese. Not sweet as in sugar-sweet, just a slightly sweeter taste than cottage cheese, which is a bit tangier. But if your recipe has sour cream in it, you probably won't notice any difference at all.

I should think you could. We always used to sub cottage cheese for ricotta, back in the day when ricotta wasn't so easy to find.

Back
Top Bottom