Cheese sauce

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Angie

Head Chef
Tomorrow at work we are having a potato bar day and I'm going to bring in cheese sauce. Anyone have any good recipes for me to try for a change?

Angie, what are you looking for? Zippy? Creamy? Thick?

If I'm making a cheese sauce for mac and cheese I make a basic white sauce (but thicker) and toss in a pile of velveeta and sharp cheddar.

We like the consistency of the velveeta and the flavour of the sharp cheddar. You can add a few chile flakes for zip if you like.

Just a nice sauce for baked potatoes. I do like the idea of velveta and sharp cheddar (plus I have those both at home).

Do you need a recipe for the white sauce part or can you wing it? I always put more flour in than usual for cheese sauce cuz we like it thick. And if you are doing it for potatoes, well thick is best I think.

The only thing I do for cheese sauce is to always add at least twice as much cheese as called for. After that, the sky's the limit - cheddar, cheddar with Habenero pepper, blue, Monterey Jack with Jalapeno, etc., etc.

Ooh - loads of fun, & can be as simple or complicated as you want it to be.

Just bake a bunch (approx. 2 person) of at least medium-sized Idaho potatoes & serve them with an array of toppings:

Plain & flavored butters
Sour cream
Chives
Chili (with &/or without beans)
Shredded cheese (different varieties)
Cheese sauce (again varieties if you wish)
Chopped crisp bacon (regular & turkey if desired)
Simple creamed shredded chicken or turkey or seafood (with or without vegetables as in "a la king")

Really - the list is only as endless as your imagination. It's an easy & fun way to feed a crowd. I mean - who doesn't love a good baked potato?:)

The only thing I do for cheese sauce is to always add at least twice as much cheese as called for. After that, the sky's the limit - cheddar, cheddar with Habenero pepper, blue, Monterey Jack with Jalapeno, etc., etc.

The RV Resort I stay in during the summer holds a potato bar 3 times and people love it. I like your idea of the jalapeno cheese sauce, it is my favorite and the favorite of many pesople here. Gives them a choice between mild cheese sauce and one with a zip to it.

You're welcome!! :chef:

Another great thing about baked pototoes with toppings is that it's a really economical & nutritious meal in a pinch.

Around the holidays I had some leftover "turkey a la king", as well as some leftover "turkey chili" & chopped broccoli in cheddar cheese sauce. Also had on hand sour cream, crumbled turkey bacon, etc., etc. Picked up a couple of super size Idaho's, baked them, & hubby & I had a fabulous meal that cost pennies, took very little time to throw together, & didn't taste "left over" at all!;)

I like blue cheese dressing on baked potatoes. YUM!! If I were doing the bar, I'd add everything that Breezy has plus salad dressings. Ranch, blue cheese, ones like that.

As far as cheese sauces go, I'm all for the cheddar/Velveeta combo. You could divide it and do one mild and one with some salsa added for a little kick.

Really - the list is only as endless as your imagination. It's an easy & fun way to feed a crowd. I mean - who doesn't love a good baked potato?:)

Last night several friends and I went out to a local Steakhouse for steaks. The waitress told everyone that the meal came with the usual salad and baked potato which we all ordered - all except one. She wanted another kind of potato because she couldn't stand the taste and texture of baked. Well, that was a first for all of us. Never heard that before. So put her on your list of "who doesn't like baked potatoes." :ermm::LOL:

i'd say cut out velveeta, go with extra shap cheddar or cabot's seriously sharp with your bechamel, a few dashes of frank's, & you've got a yummy cheese sauce!!

Back
Top Bottom