Classic Quiche Lorraine Recipe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Btw look at the name of this post, it's called "Classic Quiche Lorraine Recipe" =)
It's also interesting to get to know about a dish (history - region), you can definitely make it your own way, thats what make cuisine so interesting !

Last edited:
Who wrote those books?:) I can imagine that what went in to the dish was based upon what was available. Some of the best food in the world, IMO, came from struggling peasants making due with what they had.;)

Larousse, Le Guide Culinaire, Cinq Mille Ans A Table, Le Livre de Cuisine de Madame Saint-Ange, Les Plats Regionaux de France, L'art de Manger et son Histoire, Dissertations Gastronomiques.

I could go on and on. The list is enormous. All in French, naturally.

No cheese in classic QL and one reason likely being your 'struggling peasant' analogy. One less ingredient. Then tradition takes hold to some degree.

Put it in if you like, it's your food. With cheese it becomes a dish called quiche Alsacienne.

Last edited:
I'm taking that those are cookbooks? Are any of them from the peasants that were first to make the dishes? Probably not. Most of those, more than likely, are by professional chefs/food snobs, IMO. Don't know why you are addressing me about the cheese, as I never mentioned it. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Nomenclature is important in French cuisine.

The books I listed reduced to a writing established tradition/recipes. I'm not suggesting that the "peasants" (???) read cookbooks to learn what their own traditional recipes and regional cuisines are/were.

A 'Lorrainer' might love eating pork with apples, Calvados, and cream but they know they've eaten a Norman dish. The concept of regional (provincial) French cuisine is pretty well-established to say the least.

Last edited:
The best French influenced cuisines I have ever tasted are Creole and Cajun. No food snobs involved!;) Oh, almost forgot Vietnamese! :yum: Those Bahn Mi sandwiches are great.:yum:

Last edited:
I love the quiche we make that's based on the classic Lorraine. It's called a Duchess quiche and my mom, daughter and I had it at King Stefan's Table in Cinderella's castle at WDW many, many, many years ago when DD was just a little girl. The quiche had cooked bacon, ham and swiss cheese added to the original Lorraine recipe, as well as chopped onions cooked in the bacon fat and drained. Sometimes I add cooked spinach to it and sometimes I skip the crust and make a frittata, but it's always good. Definitely can't go wrong with bacon!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom