Clotted/Double cream

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

luvs

Master Chef
what is clotted cream? i found it in the store recently. it's not refrigerated and is grouped with the English and British foods section. it's really thick. i'm curious. the name is horrible but is the product good? if so, i think i'm gonna buy it. what do you put it on or in?

another question. what is the 'table cream' found in the Mexican foods section?

fabulous! the berry bushes in my yard will be in full bloom in a few months!:)

Here's some info.

Clotted cream or Devonshire cream is a thick cream made by slowly heating rich, unpasteurized milk to about 82 degrees Centigrade and holding it that temperature for about an hour. A very thick, yellow layer of clots or coagulated clumps of cream forms on the top. It has a minimum fat content of 55 percent.

Mexican crema is similar to creme fraiche or sour cream.

luvs, it is like if you've always had skim milk in your coffee and then someone puts heavy cream in one day. You will love it, but make sure to make fresh scones the day you open it. When you taste it you will be hooked!

OH! i know what you mean! like the first time i put heavy cream in my cream of wheat instead of milk!

It's yummy stuff. When we added our British section in the website, it was new to me, too. We sell both clotted and double Devon cream. Clotted cream has a bit more butter fat...They're both white, not yellow. You can use it like butter on scones, waffles, pancakes, and then top with preserves. Have that with a cup of tea and you're having "cream tea". Incredibly yummy and decadent!

There is a good-natured rivalry between Cornwall and Devon about the origins of clotted cream... Personally, I think the Cornish stuff is best - perhaps I'm biased though as we try to get down to Cornwall at least once a year! A Cornish cream tea, 2 freshly made scones, butter, strawberry or raspberry jam and clotted cream - with a pot of tea..... a 'tea' which makes a meal!

Clotted cream is really wonderfully versatile. Added to a rice pudding, it give a depth of flavour that cream and milk alone cannot achieve.

Use half clotted and half double cream to make an apple snow pudding....

It's rich, so you need to use it judiciously - not in coffee or tea for instance, as it would just give you fatty globules on the surface of the hot drink :mrgreen:

PS Thier - I've never seen white clotted cream..... here it is usually yellow with a 'crust' on the top... Double cream however, is white!

Hmm...We sell Somerdale, and it looks just like a creamy white to me. I'll have to open another one and look again!!! Thanks for the excuse, Ishbel. :rolleyes: :-p

I'm not sure if that's its REAL name, but its what my mum used to make.

Cook some sliced and peeled cooking apples in a very little water and sugar until they are fluffy.

Make some English-style custard (creme patisserie) and allow it to cool - and then fold the cold, fluffy apples into the custard mixed with about half clotted cream.... Chill for at least half an hour and then just before serving, crumb some Ratafia biscuits on top

I sometimes use stewed gooseberries or rhubarb. Just make sure you don't incorporate too much juice into the custard/cream/fruit mix!

Last edited:
yes, it sure does. i bought a jar of devon cream tonite. it is really rich!

Ishbel... do you think clotted cream is very sweet compared to other creams (creams of the UK specifically)? The reason I'm wondering is we use a Turkish (dh is Armenian, born and raised in Turkey) cream called "kaymak" here and on our trips to UK he always says clotted cream reminds him of this. But kaymak is used to "unsweeten" very sweet desserts. I don't always understand the reasoning, but he was saying that clotted cream wasn't sweet. I thought it was sweet enough. :) Just wondering what your opinion is.

I don't know much about British cuisine, but love eating it.

Last edited:
I don't think it's very sweet - I think the texture makes it less 'cloying' than say, double cream, or a whipping cream, in my view. So i'm with your husband on this!

All I know is: add scones, good jam and a pot of Earl Grey tea - and it's heavenly!:LOL:

luvs_food said:
what is clotted cream? i found it in the store recently. it's not refrigerated and is grouped with the English and British foods section. it's really thick. i'm curious. the name is horrible but is the product good? if so, i think i'm gonna buy it. what do you put it on or in?

another question. what is the 'table cream' found in the Mexican foods section?

luvs_food - if it isn't refrigerated, is it tinned? I've only ever seen fresh clotted cream in this country.

I love it in rice pudding (on any hot pudding really) and also with ice cream - because I'm deeply greedy. There used to be an ice cream shop in Mevagissy (Cornwall) that sold huge ice cream cones with a great big dollop of whipped clotted cream on top. Heaven.

Back
Top Bottom