Dor's Baked Mac and Cheese

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mudbug

Chef Extraordinaire
I never got the hang of good baked M&C until my sister turned me on to her version.

1 stick of butter
salt and pepper to taste
about 2/3 cup of flour
2 cups (about) milk
Blend this in a blender - all the butter may rise to the top but you can keep blending it as you go along

Cook almost all of a box of macaroni (about 3/4).

then layer in a 13 x 9 pan (glass preferred):
milk mixture
pasta
cheese
repeat layers

Bake at 375 (maybe 30 minutes - you may have to keep an eye on it)

Note: I try to do layers but end up just mooshing it all together. It's fine that way.

OH yeah. Doesn't hurt to sprinkle a bit more cheese top before shoving it into the oven. But that rarely hurts any recipe, now does it?

A little extra cheese never hurt anyone, but the lactose intolerant. Good thing I don't have that problem.

Sounds yummy, copied and pasted.

Sounds delicious. I like the layering concept. I've never made a GOOD batch of homemade mac n cheese but I will give this one a shot this week. Thanks for posting!

Is this a one pound box or two pound box? I want to try it.

I receive a box of "commodities" every month. This includes a 2# block of low-fat American cheese. Since they also give me elbow macaroni, I usually make at least 1 casserole size batch using a cup of macaroni and lots of cheese.

I use a can of cream soup, celery, chicken, or mushroom to melt the cheese in then I add the one ingredient that makes it taste good, 1/2 cup of grated Parmesan cheese.

Because the American cheese is so bland, especially low-fat, the Parmesan adds that much needed bite.

I'd prefer to make it with nice cheddar, but cheese is expensive and this stuff is free.

I'll be making some tomorrow to go with the pork chili I made today, and this time I'll have some Asiago to add instead. I bought the Asiago to go in the Mushroom Gratin by LPBeier and the Asiago was very strong. I bet it will make a great mac & cheese add-in.

Last edited:
I don't see the amount, or kind of grated cheese to use for this ratio of ingredients?

I melt my cheese in cream of something soup (see above post) and put in as much as I can comfortably without burning.

After my macaroni is done and drained, I add cheese sauce until my saturation/texture is right, and then whatever cheese sauce I have left (on purpose) I put in a container for something else that might need cheese sauce. If it doesn't get used right away, I put it in the freezer. It's really nice having already made cheese sauce handy.

Would you believe I've never made macaroni and cheese?
And it's most everyone's favorite comfort food.
:pig: Don't get me started...:rolleyes:
...too late, I'm so going to make this and eat it all gone!:clap:

Would you believe I've never made macaroni and cheese?
And it's most everyone's favorite comfort food.
:pig: Don't get me started...:rolleyes:
...too late, I'm so going to make this and eat it all gone!:clap:
:LOL: MA........now that you've paved the way, I can admit with all the cooking I've done in my lifetime, I've never made mac and cheese either !!
Geeze, I feel so much better now that everyone knows. :punk:

Kayelle said:
...I can admit with all the cooking I've done in my lifetime, I've never made mac and cheese either !!
Geeze, I feel so much better now that everyone knows. :punk:
^^^ :rolleyes: ...:LOL:

Attachments

• TrueConfessions.jpg
    TrueConfessions.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 195
Sounds good!

I make a three cheese mac and cheese using sharp cheddar, white cheddar and pepper jack. Mmmm, mmm, good! Oh and I also add a block of cream cheese. Yum!

I gave the recipe to my son and told him to double it and add whatever he wants.
He made bacon and crumbled it to add to a layer. He cooked up a bit of broccoli and set it aside.
He made two pans worth (doubled it), layered with colby jack, bacon, broccoli, another layer of macaroni, then some ricotta (seasoned) with 2 eggs mixed in, topped with corn flake crumbs, baked 30 minutes.
It was excellent, I had two helpings!!! I'm looking forward to leftovers from the second pan tonight.

tip: slightly undercook the macaroni, the sauce with finish cooking it and it won't get soggy.

Thanks Mudbug.

I made this yesterday and I can proudly say I have now made my first successful batch of mac n cheese. I love cheese A LOT so next time I make it I might fool around with adding cream cheese or ricotta. Thanks for posting this!

I made this yesterday and I can proudly say I have now made my first successful batch of mac n cheese. I love cheese A LOT so next time I make it I might fool around with adding cream cheese or ricotta. Thanks for posting this!
'
Great Snickerdoodle!:chef:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom