"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Eggs, Cheese & Dairy
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 08-15-2016, 06:50 PM   #1
Head Chef
 
rodentraiser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Puget Sound, WA
Posts: 1,424
Double Yolks!

I've been buying jumbo eggs from Winco for a couple of years. Right now they're pretty cheap, about $1.19/dozen. I've gotten a couple double yolks in that time, but in this last dozen, I've had two eggs that had double yolks! Granted, the yolks are smaller than single ones, but I'm still tickled about it!
rodentraiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 07:16 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Cheryl J's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: California
Posts: 10,088
Isn't that a nice bonus?? I haven't seen a double yolked egg in years - at least with grocery store eggs.
__________________
Grandchildren fill the space in your heart you never knew was empty.
Cheryl J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 08:13 PM   #3
Executive Chef
 
larry_stewart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Long Island, New York
Posts: 3,743
Every now and then , when I collect eggs from my chickens, there will be one egg slightly bigger than the rest. Crack it open, and sure enough, a double yolk. I get a kick out of it every time I see it.
larry_stewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 08:38 PM   #4
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 3,709
me too!
blissful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 08:56 PM   #5
Certified/Certifiable
 
Chief Longwind Of The North's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: USA,Michigan
Posts: 10,527
Love getting the double yolks, especially when I use to raise cornish cross meat chickens. The eggs were always jumbo, and the yolk were deep orange. Those chickens were fed corn, barley, and whatever insects an grubs they could find while roaming about the yard. When they saw a mouse, or rat, or other small rodent, look out. That critter was gone in seconds flat. Those birds laid superior eggs, and the roosters were very tasty. Mmmmm, double yolks.

Seeeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North
__________________
“No amount of success outside the home can compensate for failure within the home…"

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- https://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 09:35 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 22,365
There was a corner store in my neighborhood that guaranteed double yolks in every egg. And he never got word that one egg had only one yolk. To bad, he died and the family closed the store.
__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 10:07 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Kayelle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: south central coast/California
Posts: 14,706
When I was a little girl, I'd brown paper bag jumbo eggs of six for my parents Mom and Pop grocery store...all of them had double yolks. They were so big, they really had full size double yolks. When I grew up and left home, single yolks looked so strange.
__________________
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but rather by the moments that take our breath away.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 08:27 AM   #8
Master Chef
 
jabbur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Newport News, VA
Posts: 5,637
I love double yolks! I remember my mom would sometimes buy a dozen double yolks. Not sure where she'd get them. Definitely not at the grocery. It may have been at the butcher shop that also sold some produce. Anyway, I clearly remember her tricking my little brother with them one day. She told him tapping the egg twice to break it open would give it 2 yolks. She proceeded to do that with 2 eggs and got 4 yolks. He said to try for 3. She said she didn't think it would work but she tapped it three times and got a triple yolk! Boy were we all surprised! We laughed so hard!
__________________
I could give up chocolate but I'm no quitter!
jabbur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 09:40 AM   #9
Certified/Certifiable
 
Chief Longwind Of The North's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: USA,Michigan
Posts: 10,527
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabbur View Post
I love double yolks! I remember my mom would sometimes buy a dozen double yolks. Not sure where she'd get them. Definitely not at the grocery. It may have been at the butcher shop that also sold some produce. Anyway, I clearly remember her tricking my little brother with them one day. She told him tapping the egg twice to break it open would give it 2 yolks. She proceeded to do that with 2 eggs and got 4 yolks. He said to try for 3. She said she didn't think it would work but she tapped it three times and got a triple yolk! Boy were we all surprised! We laughed so hard!
I have never seen three yolks. What a rare find, and at such a 1 in a million chances. I'd say it was perfect timing. Good story.

Bob Flowers
__________________
“No amount of success outside the home can compensate for failure within the home…"

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- https://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 10:39 AM   #10
Master Chef
 
CharlieD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: USA,Minnesota
Posts: 9,538
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Longwind Of The North View Post
Love getting the double yolks, especially when I use to raise cornish cross meat chickens. The eggs were always jumbo, and the yolk were deep orange. Those chickens were fed corn, barley, and whatever insects an grubs they could find while roaming about the yard. When they saw a mouse, or rat, or other small rodent, look out. That critter was gone in seconds flat. Those birds laid superior eggs, and the roosters were very tasty. Mmmmm, double yolks.

Seeeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North
They ate rats????
__________________
You are what you eat.
CharlieD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 10:41 AM   #11
Master Chef
 
CharlieD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: USA,Minnesota
Posts: 9,538
Land's and Byerly's here are selling Jumbo eggs, I'd be surprised if I did not get at least one egg with double yolk.
__________________
You are what you eat.
CharlieD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 03:04 PM   #12
Head Chef
 
rodentraiser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Puget Sound, WA
Posts: 1,424
Has anyone noticed if they buy jumbo eggs that the shells are also much thinner? I ran out of eggs once and had to buy a 6-pak from the local grocery store. I gave it a little tap like I always did the jumbos and it didn't even crack. I though I'd have to pound that egg with a hammer to get it open.

Naturally, when I went back to jumbos, I forgot and smacked the egg against the side of the bowl. The shell disintegrated and I had egg all over the place. Gave new meaning to the phrase "egg on my face".

Triple yolks, wow! I never even knew you could get triple yolks, although it makes sense when you think about it.
rodentraiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 04:18 PM   #13
Certified/Certifiable
 
Chief Longwind Of The North's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: USA,Michigan
Posts: 10,527
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
Has anyone noticed if they buy jumbo eggs that the shells are also much thinner? I ran out of eggs once and had to buy a 6-pak from the local grocery store. I gave it a little tap like I always did the jumbos and it didn't even crack. I though I'd have to pound that egg with a hammer to get it open.

Naturally, when I went back to jumbos, I forgot and smacked the egg against the side of the bowl. The shell disintegrated and I had egg all over the place. Gave new meaning to the phrase "egg on my face".

Triple yolks, wow! I never even knew you could get triple yolks, although it makes sense when you think about it.
Now quintuplet yolks, that would be impressive.

Seeeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North
__________________
“No amount of success outside the home can compensate for failure within the home…"

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- https://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 04:57 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire
 
GotGarlic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Southeastern Virginia
Posts: 24,659
I don't buy jumbo eggs, but I have noticed that the backyard hen eggs I started buying have much tougher shells than the grocery-store large eggs I used to buy. I imagine it has something to do with the feed.
__________________
Anyplace where people argue about food is a good place.
~ Anthony Bourdain, Parts Unknown, 2018
GotGarlic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 05:06 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire
 
CWS4322's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Rural Ottawa, Ontario
Posts: 13,466
Quote:
Originally Posted by blissful View Post
me too!
me three!
__________________
I've got OCD--Obsessive Chicken Disorder!
https://www.discusscooking.com/forums...les-76125.html
CWS4322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 05:09 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire
 
CWS4322's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Rural Ottawa, Ontario
Posts: 13,466
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
I don't buy jumbo eggs, but I have noticed that the backyard hen eggs I started buying have much tougher shells than the grocery-store large eggs I used to buy. I imagine it has something to do with the feed.
I noticed when I had Plymouth Rocks, their shells were thicker than my other hens' shells. Their eggs were also more in the medium-sized range. Interesting, the amount of shell is the same no matter the size of egg. The smaller the egg, the thicker the shell. I think it has something to do with the breed as well. I have a heck of a time cracking "store" eggs. The shells don't crack as nicely and they sometimes shatter. My gals lay jumbo-jumbo eggs. It is rare for me to get an egg that weighs under 60 g. Most weigh about 75-80 g. but I've had eggs that weighed 113-126 g. from my Rhode Island Reds.
__________________
I've got OCD--Obsessive Chicken Disorder!
https://www.discusscooking.com/forums...les-76125.html
CWS4322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 03:43 PM   #17
Executive Chef
 
dragnlaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Montreal
Posts: 4,239
Yes, in general certain breeds lay different size eggs. Older hens will lay bigger eggs. Hens that lay double yolks usually have a shorter laying life as they only have a finite number of ova.

Yolk colour is based on diet, but does not change the nutrition of the egg.

Brown eggs are really white eggs that get a colour coat shortly after the shell is formed. Check the inside of the shell - it's white.
Yet blue egg shells are blue all the way thru. So there is really only two colours of egg. White and blue (I'm talking chickens here folks - not Emu's, etc.). ta ta!
__________________
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
dragnlaw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 04:43 PM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 22,365
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
Has anyone noticed if they buy jumbo eggs that the shells are also much thinner? I ran out of eggs once and had to buy a 6-pak from the local grocery store. I gave it a little tap like I always did the jumbos and it didn't even crack. I though I'd have to pound that egg with a hammer to get it open.

Naturally, when I went back to jumbos, I forgot and smacked the egg against the side of the bowl. The shell disintegrated and I had egg all over the place. Gave new meaning to the phrase "egg on my face".

Triple yolks, wow! I never even knew you could get triple yolks, although it makes sense when you think about it.
Leghorns tend to lay white shell eggs. Rhode Island Reds lay brown shell eggs. Brown shells are much thicker than white. The deeper the color, the thicker the shell. We raised only RI Reds. The color can also be affected by the weather and temperature outside. The ears on the hen can be a telltale sign also. Some hens lay speckled dark brown eggs.
__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 04:49 PM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 22,365
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
I noticed when I had Plymouth Rocks, their shells were thicker than my other hens' shells. Their eggs were also more in the medium-sized range. Interesting, the amount of shell is the same no matter the size of egg. The smaller the egg, the thicker the shell. I think it has something to do with the breed as well. I have a heck of a time cracking "store" eggs. The shells don't crack as nicely and they sometimes shatter. My gals lay jumbo-jumbo eggs. It is rare for me to get an egg that weighs under 60 g. Most weigh about 75-80 g. but I've had eggs that weighed 113-126 g. from my Rhode Island Reds.
How are the girls doing? Came across the following and thought you might enjoy it.

https://hencam.com/henblog/

Like yours, fun and interesting.
__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 11:15 AM   #20
Executive Chef
 
Roll_Bones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Southeast US
Posts: 4,386
Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
There was a corner store in my neighborhood that guaranteed double yolks in every egg. And he never got word that one egg had only one yolk. To bad, he died and the family closed the store.
We have an egg farm a few miles from our house that sells double yolk eggs. Guaranteed.
They sell single yolk too.
A flat of extra large, 18 count, single yolk is $2.00
I don't buy double yolk, so I'm not sure what they cost.

But its easy to see how they can guarantee a double yolk.
Roll_Bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
other

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:43 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.