Drinking milk

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I like milk, but seldom drink it by the glass. Stirling drinks a glass of milk with a meal once in a while. I put it in my tea and coffee and cook with it. We don't often have hot or cold cereal for breakfast, but it does go on that.

I buy about six litres of milk every other week.

Last edited:
When I was cooking processed foods, like Hamburger Helper, I'd go through a gallon a month. Cooking my own foods, I use cream for a lot of food and usually only go through a half gallon or less of milk in a month. This month, for example, I'm still using the milk I got in February (I get the super pasteurized) and there's about a cup of it left. Since it expired yesterday, I'll probably end up tossing it.

I hate milk myself and fought my mom from kindergarten on to not drink it. Water is mainly what I drink. I don't like coffee and I rarely have soda. Anything else I want I can't afford.

Im lucky I have lactosefree milk that taste like milk, not insanely sweet or chemical tasting, it just taste like milk, just bit less creamy. I love it.

I buy aty least a gallon of milk a week. I tried saving money by buying two gallons and freezing one, but the frozen one seems to de-homogenize when its thawed.

I use it to make Ovaltine every day, I use it on both cold and hot cereals, and I sometimes cook and/or bake with it. Oh, and nothing is more satisfying than a big cold glass of milk with tomato soup and grilled cheese sandwiches.

Last edited:
Actually, I think that the Creator designed and intended milk to be drunk with chocolate chip cookies. That has always been what I missed the most after my intolerance developed, a tall glass of milk and a couple of toll house cookies.

Pairing milk with other foods is possible, but you know in your heart that you are committing sacrilege. :smartass:

I buy aty least a gallon of milk a week. I tried saving money by buying two gallons and freezing one, but the frozen one seems to de-homogenize when its thawed.

I use it to make Ovaltine every day, I use it on both cold and hot cereals, and I sometimes cook and/or bake with it. Oh, and nothing is more satisfying than a big cold glass of milk with tomato soup and grilled cheese sandwiches.

An American Classic.

If its on sale we will get 5-6 gallons at a time. Usually last about 2 weeks. We go through a lot of milk. When Jasper was still on almond milk she would get 4 or5 gallons of that as well. There is a little more room in the fridge now.

I've always been a huge milk drinker. Fortunately our local outlets have any variety of milk for $1.55 per gallon.

I drink at least two large quantities of milk per day, sometimes more. Always have done this. As a child my parents were constantly tasked with keeping the milk supplied.

Turns out I was in good stead with my milk/dairy intake. One of my doctors just ordered a bone density test and the results showed that my bones are as healthy as someone in their teens. Good for me...I'm looking at 70 very soon. I'll take it.

I'm jealous...
We get a whole milk deliver every other week.
There is a unlimited supply of powered and UHT milk. OK for baking.

Use to be buying 2 liters ,for $5.20, would last till Wednesday.
They have improved their refrigeration during transportation and
now it will last till Friday.

The dairy farm is in Luzon. Processed and shipped to Manila.
Boards a ferry in Manila on Friday. Ships to Caticlan and arrives on Saturday. Transported by boat to Boracay and hits the shelves on Sunday morning.
No whole cream, no whipping cream and no half and half available.

I love milk. I drink it with dinner often, though not always. We go through about a gallon a week for the 2 of us. Personally, I prefer whole milk, but I buy 2% because my husband can't stand whole. When I go to the grocery store, I like to buy myself either a whole milk or chocolate milk chug (that's a pint) to drink on the spot. It's my favorite thing to drink when I'm really thirsty, or post work-out.

I have been lactose intolerant to drinking milk since I was a child. So, never.

I am not lactose intolerant to goat or sheep cheeses or Greek Yogurt which I get from a Greek Distributor, who works with my parents Company.

I only drink Espresso, one in the early morning with breakfast and one after lunch.

Interesting post ..

Have a lovely evening ..

Milk is so expensive in our area ($4.50-$5 a gallon).

I feel your pain. Now I'll tell you how much I pay for a gallon of Kosher milk, so you won't feel so bad. We pay $8 per gallon.If we are lucky and order a case, 4 gallons, then it is $7.50. ;)

Wow those prices price me out of the market for milk. We are seeing $1.99 on sale, and $2.29 normal, and some weeks a little more. We do shop around. Aldi's has been the least expensive rivaling Kwik Trip (plastic bags of milk).

Nope, not a milk drinker. I find it kind of gross if I think too hard on it. I do buy a gallon a week (teen in the house that loves it). I buy unsweetened almond milk for my rare cup of coffee!

After my daughter started weaning my grandson from breast milk, he refused to drink regular milk, so I went to a local dairy and started buying raw milk which he loved. Three years later (he's now four), he has been sick once...a fever that lasted less than a day and he wasn't even cranky. Now I won't buy anything else. The best part about raw milk...regular milk goes sour and you have to toss it. Raw milk goes sour and you have farmer cheese...yum.

After my daughter started weaning my grandson from breast milk, he refused to drink regular milk, so I went to a local dairy and started buying raw milk which he loved. Three years later (he's now four), he has been sick once...a fever that lasted less than a day and he wasn't even cranky. Now I won't buy anything else. The best part about raw milk...regular milk goes sour and you have to toss it. Raw milk goes sour and you have farmer cheese...yum.

Unfortunately in many states it is illegal to sell raw milk. I love, love raw milk, grew up on it.

yeah and for all of NY's over regulation we were all shocked to learn it's legal here as long as you buy directly from the dairy. They did bust the Amish here last year bringing raw milk across state lines...you think they'd have something better to do with their time.

yeah and for all of NY's over regulation we were all shocked to learn it's legal here as long as you buy directly from the dairy. They did bust the Amish here last year bringing raw milk across state lines...you think they'd have something better to do with their time.
Preventing disease outbreak is a pretty good use of their time, imo. Pasteurization is a thing for a reason.

Back
Top Bottom