Drinking milk

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Addie

Chef Extraordinaire
I am sure that the majority of our members had a glass of milk with their meal. And milk in their cereal. So my questions are:

Do you still or occasionally drink milk with your meal?

Do you have occasionally dry cereal with milk?

Is milk a regular item when you go shopping?

How much milk do you go through in a week?

In my home, I can go through at least two gallons a week.

The thing that is in our fridge all the time is heavy cream. Karen sometimes gets cereal and we get milk. If a recipe calls for milk, then we buy some. Most often, in this case, we will plan another dish to use it or end up throwing what is left away. Yes, there isn't any crying over spilled/tossed milk.;)

Never drink milk with a meal.

I drink milk with cake sometimes.

I use milk on cereal occasionally. Mostly in the warmer months.

We go through about 1 quart a week.

When I was younger, My mom insisted we had milk with breakfast and lunch ( dinner was orange juice). I absolutely hated milk. I refused to drink it. Only way they got me to drink it was chocolate milk, hot chocolate. I was probably such a pain in the butt about it, that by the time I reached being a teenager, my mother probably gave up and let me have ( or not have) whatever I wanted.

As an adult, I never had the urge to try it again. That being said, we have it on hand for cooking purposes ( mac and cheese ( not man and cheese, thats a different thread), hot chocolate, other recipes, baking ..... Oh, btw, I hated cereal too, but when I ate it ( usually frosted flakes), I had it dry.

My wife and kids do have cereal, with milk. But they have slowly been converting to the soy milk, almond milk, cashew milk, coconut milk ...

I only buy milk when its part of a recipe I will be making that week. We usually keep a parmalot ( boxed milk) on hand in the pantry due to its extended shelf life, so we don't have one of those " Oh crap " moments, when your knee deep into a recipe, find out you have no milk on hand, then have to run down to the store ( a few miles away) before you can continue.

I have a glass of milk in the morning. It's breakfast. I probably go through a gallon a week or so.

Last edited:
I don't drink plain milk, never have since I escaped left my parents house. An occasional chocolate milk. Shrek drinks milk, we go through a half gallon a week. I go through a quart of heavy cream for my coffee per week.

We have cereal most mornings so, milk is a staple in our fridge.. Milk is served with whatever have for breakfast.. We often have milk with whatever dessert we have.. We go through a gallon a week..

I am sure that the majority of our members had a glass of milk with their meal. And milk in their cereal. So my questions are:

I'm pretty sure that a majority of our members do not have milk with their evening meal (assuming that's the meal you were referring to). We have wine with dinner.

We don't eat dry cereal and have none in the house.

We never buy milk. DH likes half and half in his coffee, so we typically have that on hand and buy it by the half gallon. If I need milk for a recipe, I use half and half; sometimes I dilute it and sometimes not.

To answer my own question. I am a coffeeholic. But I always have milk with every meal. And my kids do. My daughter's kids have continued to drink it with their meals also. I have had about three bone density tests done over the years. One doctor told me that I have the bones of a 29 y,o, It seems that all the males in my family still drink milk with their meals. My grandson stopped for a while. But when his first born was old enough to sit at the table, he and his wife drank milk along with her.

I am sure that the majority of our members had a glass of milk with their meal...
HAD being the operative word here. I haven't has a glass of milk with a meal since I was in my teens. Just to make it clear, I never had pop with a meal, either. The only exception was the rare occasion when we got carry-out pizza. The norm for me by the time I was a teen was water or tea with dinner. Still don't drink pop, except for the rare Coke or root beer as a float on a hot day - and the ice cream provides the "milk" part. ;)

Our current use of milk is dependent on what I'm making or the season. During warm weather, Himself likes cereal to start his day, or a glass of milk later in the evening. During cooler weather I'll use it for cooking such things as mac-and-cheese or a cream-based soup. That being said, we probably take 10-ish days to finish a gallon during the winter, inside a week during the summer.

I think the big push in the past to consume milk regularly was to encourage people to get enough calcium. These days, with many people using various dairy foods more regularly (think yogurt, a wider variety of cheeses, options to cream cheese, etc), the need to drink milk to get calcium is lessened. Then you have added calcium to things like orange juice, if you so chose.

I must be doing something right, too, since my bone density test checks out fine. :)

We don't have milk with a meal but use it for cooking and on cereal. DH and Son will have bowls of cereal with milk for snacks or a meal if I'm gone and there's no leftovers to reheat. I have a glass at bedtime with my evening pills since one needs to be taken with food. I have the milk and sometimes some cheese or a slice of bread with peanut butter with my meds. We use a little over a gallon a week. I tend to have 2 gallons in the fridge most of the time so we don't run out.

Yes I drink milk with my lunch

Yes I eat cereal with milk all the time

Yes I buy it regularly

It's only me so a quart lasts a week

It also goes in coffee

And I buy ORGANIC because it tastes better

I stopped buying cow's milk a couple of years ago because of the carbs.

I use unsweetened almond milk to make a glass of chocolate milk or cup of cocoa every now and then.

I use heavy cream diluted with water for cooking.

I think the big push in the past to consume milk regularly was to encourage people to get enough calcium. These days, with many people using various dairy foods more regularly (think yogurt, a wider variety of cheeses, options to cream cheese, etc), the need to drink milk to get calcium is lessened. Then you have added calcium to things like orange juice, if you so chose.

That's part of it. Another major reason for the push to drink milk is the addition of Vitamin D after WWII. The primary reason for prospective American soldiers being rejected for service in WWII was that they didn't have enough teeth, due to Vitamin D deficiency. Calcium is more easily absorbed by the body when it's consumed with Vitamin D.

We hosted an exchange student from Slovakia in the late '90s. He told us that rickets (which weakens bone structure, including jaw bones) was still a problem in the countries of the former Soviet Union due to Vitamin D deficiency. It was all but eliminated in the US till consumption of soda/pop eclipsed consumption of milk some years ago. Incidence of rickets has since started to increase.

Last edited:

I don't drink a lot of milk. I do like it, but just don't think about it enough.

I do find that milk is good for swallowing big pills. I have a gag-reflex problem with big pills, and for some reason, milk makes it easier.

As I mentioned in another thread, somewhat to my regret, I buy organic 2-percent milk, mainly because it has a really long shelf life. I bought some a few days ago that has a use-by date of May 19. I'll finish it before then, but it will be well into April. I need that long shelf life.

I do like Multi-Grain Cheerios, but they have a lot of sugar to offset that extra fiber. So, that is something I only eat from time-to-time.

CD

As I mentioned in another thread, somewhat to my regret, I buy organic 2-percent milk, mainly because it has a really long shelf life. I bought some a few days ago that has a use-by date of May 19. I'll finish it before then, but it will be well into April. I need that long shelf life.
I have no opinion one way or the other on organic milk, and I certainly won't knock you for liking it. You may already know this, but I just want to point out for those who don't that the reason it has a long shelf life has nothing to do with the fact that it's organic. It's because it's ultra-pasteurized. You'll find most organic milk and cream is treated that way.

The reason for doing so is because organic dairy products typically don't sell as quickly as the conventional versions (presumably due to somewhat higher pricing) and so they ultra-pasteurize it so they can keep it on the store shelves longer.

I only know this because I ask a lot of stupid questions when I shop. :)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom