Duchess quiche

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

medtran49

Master Chef
This is a recipe from the restaurant in Cinderella's Castle, it was King Stefan's Banquet Hall at the time, in Walt Disney World. It was served at brunch/lunch.

Duchess Quiche

4-6 strips bacon
1/2 to 3/4 cup chopped onion
2 cups (12 oz) diced or shredded Swiss cheese
3/4 cup diced ham (about 4.5 oz) - get a 1/4"thick slice of ham at deli and use about half of it, freeze remainder for a later quiche
1 9-inch deep dish pie shell
6 eggs

1-1/4 cups milk
1-1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon white pepper (can use black)
pinch of nutmeg, can leave out
1/3 cup grated parm

Saute bacon until crisp. Remove and drain. Break up after it’s cool. Saute onion in bacon fat until tender. Remove from pan with slotted spoon and drain on paper towel. Scatter bacon, cheese, ham, onion over pie shell evenly.

Beat eggs, add milk and spices. Pour into pie shell to mostly cover fillings. Sprinkle parm on top. Bake at 350 for about 45 minutes until knife blade inserted in center of pie comes out clean. Serve with assorted fruits or salad.

Can be made as a frittata (no crust), adjust amounts of ingredients depending on size of pan.

Can add spinach. Saute fresh spinach in a dry pan, add some salt and pepper, cool, squeeze out ALL excess liquid then scatter over ingredients. Can also add cubed steamed/fried potatoes when making as a fritatta.

Thank you Med it looks wonderful and easy to make.

P.S. How did you make the hash brown crust?

Thank you Med it looks wonderful and easy to make.

P.S. How did you make the hash brown crust?

The recipe I saw (didn't copy it, we were going through old food mags) used frozen hash browns, thawed, dried on paper towels. I used 2 big baking potatoes, grated, soaked, dried. After I sauted the onions in the bacon grease, I put the potatoes in the pan with some s and p and a little veg oil and cooked them until they were just starting to brown. Put them in in a greased pie pan, use the back of a big spoon to mold. Bake at 375 for 30 minutes, then fill with quiche mixture and bake.

Last edited:
The recipe I saw (didn't copy it, we were going through old food mags) used frozen hash browns, thawed, dried on paper towels. I used 2 big baking potatoes, grated, soaked, dried. After I sauted the onions in the bacon grease, I put the potatoes in the pan with some s and p and a little veg oil and cooked them until they were just starting to brown. Put them in in a greased pie pan, use the back of a big spoon to mold. Bake at 375 for 30 minutes, then fill with quiche mixture and bake.
Oh that sounds fantastic. So you flipped the slice over with crust on top when served?
Thank you again.

You just cooked it in the skillet, didn't transfer to a pie plate. Otherwise, it's the same method. My skillets are either too big or too small for the # of eggs and filling I used, which is why I did the pie plate. Otherwise, I would have done it in the skillet as well.

That actually may have been where I saw the method. I remember looking at that recipe and thinking about it being 1 of the keepers when we were going through our old mags, which will be going to DD and the DGD that cooks for them to go through.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom