Egg Creation ~ Do you think this will work?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Callisto in NC

Washing Up
Okay, so whenever I make a whole quiche, half of it gets tossed. The other day I found "baking sheets" by Pillsbury called Crescent Creations. They come in a tube just like crescent rolls except they are one big sheet. What I'm curious about is this recipe:

Layer 2 shallow individual rectangle French White Corningware bowl with the pastry.

Mix four eggs, cream, swiss cheese, and bacon. Add white pepper and salt.

Pour liquid mixture into crescent creations lined bowls.

Bake at 350 until top is golden brown.

So ~ what I'm wondering is will this work? Should I pre-bake the pastry? I don't normally bake the pie shell before making the quiche. This just sounded good, maybe even change out crab for the bacon (a fave quiche).

Any thoughts?

Even though the recipe doesn't call for it, I'd bake the crust for about 10 minutes before putting in the filling, just to keep it from getting soggy.

Hmmm. quiche on a croissant. Could be good.

I'd be concerned that the dough may take longer to cook through as it is thicker than a pie crust. I guess you could do an experiment, cutting a sheet into smaller pieces and trying one not pre-baked.

That's why I come here. I didn't even think about the fact that the roll will bake up thicker than a pie crust. It starts out the same thickness.

:) You can also make mini quiches in muffin tins or maybe a small cast iron pan like the size you cook a couple of eggs in.

How long does it say it takes to fully cook the pastry? How long does a quiche take to cook? You can always cover the edges with foil. Does the pastry come with a recipe on the side of it? Yea, 20 questions...17 more to go :LOL:

Okay, so whenever I make a whole quiche, half of it gets tossed. The other day I found "baking sheets" by Pillsbury called Crescent Creations. They come in a tube just like crescent rolls except they are one big sheet. What I'm curious about is this recipe:

Layer 2 shallow individual rectangle French White Corningware bowl with the pastry.

Mix four eggs, cream, swiss cheese, and bacon. Add white pepper and salt.

Pour liquid mixture into crescent creations lined bowls.

Bake at 350 until top is golden brown.

So ~ what I'm wondering is will this work? Should I pre-bake the pastry? I don't normally bake the pie shell before making the quiche. This just sounded good, maybe even change out crab for the bacon (a fave quiche).

Any thoughts?

Can I ask what went wrong with your quiche - why you tossed half? When I make quiche, I make it in quiche pan/dish. You could even use a foil pie plate. Have used crescent dough as a base for pizza in a rectangular metal pan, but not corning ware, & baked the crust first. Honestly, I would go with another recipe - either for pizza or quiche, but don't think pouring eggs over dough will work. Just my honest experienced opinion. I have not tried the product or crescent creations lined bowls. Can you give a link or post the recipe in its entirety?

Callisto,
I've tried muffin size quiche in a 12-muffin dark aluminum pan and it works quite well. I buy the Pillsbury pie sheets, cut them in 4" circles or squares, place them in the muffin pan, fill with the egg, sauteed onion, cheese, bacon mixture then bake. I've found it bakes better and you get a crispier finish. I would bake only one on your Corningware to try first. Good luck.

How long does it say it takes to fully cook the pastry? How long does a quiche take to cook? You can always cover the edges with foil. Does the pastry come with a recipe on the side of it? Yea, 20 questions...17 more to go :LOL:
The pastry says 10 minutes to cook. The last time I cooked quich it took well over 25 minutes for the cheese and egg not to taste raw. That's why I worry about cooking the pastry first. No quich recipe. They actually encourage you to "create your own" using this new product. You can even submit it to them.

Can you give a link or post the recipe in its entirety?
That's the entire recipe. I'm creating it from a combo of different quiche recipes I've used in the past.

Kitchenelf ~ I was pretty much just going to line the bottom so the eggs would get an edge rather than burning the crust. I wish I could explain my vision better. I guess I'll just do it tomorrow night and report back.

That's the entire recipe. I'm creating it from a combo of different quiche recipes I've used in the past.

Kitchenelf ~ I was pretty much just going to line the bottom so the eggs would get an edge rather than burning the crust. I wish I could explain my vision better. I guess I'll just do it tomorrow night and report back.

I can visualize that - the crust will just be on the bottom. Sounds interesting and good!!!!! I'm leaning towards blind baking....you? Do you think it will puff without blind baking? I know...that's why you asked us :LOL: Blind bake one and not the other?

A different suggestion (I know, you didn't actually ask....) is to simply use smaller tins to bake the quiche in, making smaller quiches. Instead of a 9 inch shell, try 6inch.

That would be Wonderful

I think that using the crescent rolls would taste wonderful. I have to agree with par-baking the crust. Crescent rolls have a higher fat content and tend to bake slower in the middle especially when covered by fillings. 5-7 min should do it to give your quiche an even and thorough baking.

Instead of replacing the bacon with crab, leave the bacon and add crab and I'll be there for dinner!

Oh! you could even; once the top firms up a bit, brush with melted butter and sprinkle a little onion salt over it. That would create a flavor medley from first bite to last bite. Yummy! I might even top with cheese first then the butter and onion salt. Maybe a mixture of Romano and Swiss.

P.s.

Oh and I'm not peddling products but, bake it in stoneware. That will help remove any excess moisture and give your quiche firmness.:rolleyes:

Look who showed up to the party!!!!

I could use my 4 loaf stone and see how that would work. But then I have to serve it on something and you know me, there's generally not a lot of extra dishes around.

If the "carb queen" doesn't have to carb up tonight maybe tonight's the night to try this.

Look who showed up to the party!!!!

I could use my 4 loaf stone and see how that would work. But then I have to serve it on something and you know me, there's generally not a lot of extra dishes around.

If the "carb queen" doesn't have to carb up tonight maybe tonight's the night to try this.

Won't it be hard to remove from the 4-loaf stone pan? Seems like low sides are the way to go.

Chef2337 - welcome to DC. Feel free to edit your posts if you want to add something - just click the edit button in the lower right corner of your post, be sure your cursor is at the end, and add away! :cool:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom