Egg Yolk - The Other Yellow Food

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm sorry you've had bad experiences with yummy browned egg white edges :(

Thanks, but no big deal. If I cook my own, I don't get that, and if I order fried eggs, and ask for over-easy, I usually get my nice egg whites and still get the runny yolk.

If you don't flip the egg, it is hard to get the whites done without browning/burning the edges.

CD

One of the hardest photoshoots, when I worked with the food photographer, was poaching the yolk of an egg to put on top of a piece of fish. I practiced the day before, nailed it. It took 9 yolks to get it perfect for the photos the next day. Poaching an egg I can do, but poaching a yolk, that was hard. Good thing I was using the girls' eggs, had plenty yolks. The only thing that was harder to do with eggs, was poaching a quail's egg in the shell.

Thanks, but no big deal. If I cook my own, I don't get that, and if I order fried eggs, and ask for over-easy, I usually get my nice egg whites and still get the runny yolk.

If you don't flip the egg, it is hard to get the whites done without browning/burning the edges.

I've seen chefs spoon hot butter over the eggs in order to cook the whites without flipping the egg. Have you tried that?

My favorite breakfast is poached eggs on toast - nice firm whites and a yummy runny yolk. The hubby only likes scrambled and omelets so I usually do not cook them just for me, but there is a local restaurant that does them perfectly!!

Love the comment about the "lace petticoat"!!

Besides basting with butter to get the whites cooked, you can use just a bit of water (if you are watching calories/fat) and baste or a bit of water then a lid or cover with foil and let it steam until cooked.

When I have eggs for breakfast (and I've posted many a picture) I have a tiny little pan that I poach my egg(s) in.

Works perfectly, boil water, push bread slice down in toaster, slide egg into water, set timer 5 min. Get out butter, knife 'n fork, plate. Spoon water over egg to set white. Toast pops up, butter and halve, timer goes off, slide egg on.

If I have a few asparagus I slide them into the water a little bit before the egg and cook together. :yum: Spinach - put directly on the toast and egg on top.

If I'm having mushrooms 'n onions and/or bacon, cook first while water is coming to a boil. :yum:

Long to do ahead is a frozen potato galette which requires 10/14 min in the toaster oven.

But longer than all of the above is carving the shell to get a whole egg and not crack the shell. (for which I've also posted a pic... somewhere)
Otherwise egg is blown out and an omelette - scrambled dish ensues. Always made creamy soft with a tablespoon of cream (even milk works if no cream available) :yum::yum:

I think the yolks in duck eggs are two, maybe three times the size of chicken eggs and taste better too. I don't get them often but they are a special treat when I do.

Then there is always Raviolo. Karen did a good job with these.

full-jpg.26796

full-jpg.26797

Beautiful, Craig - Medtran... .. one of my "gotta do that" projects. I'd like to use ricotta c spinach.

Next year I'm planning on getting some quail - looking forward to those eggs and all the different recipes to put them in!

I am an egg yolk lover. There are few things in the culinary world that are as pleasing as the taste and feel of a poached or lightly fried, runny egg yolk in my mouth. It's one of those simple pleasures that make getting up some mornings that much better. You can have all my egg whites if you like. They are there just to fill the eggshell and keep the yolk ready and safe until I'm ready to experience it.

Even better, the yolk contains about half the proteins and most of the vitamins and minerals in an egg.

I know all about the fat content. Every pleasure has a price.

What say you all? Are you a yolk lover or hater?

Those could have been my words, Andy. Love yolk.

Beautiful, Craig - Medtran... .. one of my "gotta do that" projects. I'd like to use ricotta c spinach.

Next year I'm planning on getting some quail - looking forward to those eggs and all the different recipes to put them in!

Thanks, they came out really nice with a runny yolk, used browned butter, guanciale or pancetta, and either fresh thyme or sage, a little fuzzy on the memory, it's been a while.

I've seen chefs spoon hot butter over the eggs in order to cook the whites without flipping the egg. Have you tried that?

I've seen that, too, but never tried it. It is pretty rare that I make a fried egg. If I want a runny egg to put on top of something, I prefer a poached egg.

CD

I cook bacon in the oven two pounds at a time. I strain the fat into a plastic container and use it to cook things like eggs and hash browns.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom