Favourite recipe using cheese!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NYBrit

Senior Cook
Ok after my egg post got so many good ideas how about your favourite recipes using cheese. My wife and I love cheese and would love to get some more ideas!

My fav is cheesy jalapeno cheddar grits. I never thought I would be so impressed with this dish.... I fix it about once a week and the leftovers are wonderful!!!

I cut this recipe in half for 2 folks:

Grits:

1 cup grits
4 cups water or stock
salt

Cook grits till creamy. 20 minutes for traditional grits, 4 for instant.

Add to cooked grits:

1 stick of butter
1 or 2 diced jalapenos (habaneros and serranos work great)
2 cups grated cheddar cheese (I use sharp)
3 eggs beaten and tempered
fresh cracked pepper
1 T chopped cilantro (optional)

I save a small bit of the cheddar cheese to sprinkle on top before baking.

Pour into a baking dish and cook for 35 minutes at 350. To brown the top, turn to broil for last few minutes of baking.

My gosh, cheese is my favorite food and can be used in most foods.

Except seafood, just don't know of many seafoods that go well with cheese, it can be used in almost any dish.

Eggs, sure. The frittata, scrambled eggs, or the omelet. Or the souffle, a cheese souffle is an item of beauty.

But toss it on chili, on a hot dog, make a Yorkshire buck or a Welsh rarebit, or mix some with the fixin's for a meatloaf, or put it in a salad. And of course with pasta. The list is endless.

And one can change the entire taste of a dish depending upon the cheese used.

Toss some gorgonzola into a salad and it will be a lot different than if one adds feta (love them both).

Or the simple grilled cheese sandwich. Can anything be better with some hearty tomato soup on a cold evening?

Cheese recipes, I am afraid I have none and have a kazillion. Will add a cheese to almost anything, except, again, for most seafood. Just can't merge the two successfully.

Anyway, there will be a lot more folks along to get specific I would guess.

Take care and God bless.

Oh, here is another.... salt and pepper a nice tenderloin filet and sear nicely in a cast iron skillet, top with a pat of Boursin cheese just before serving.... scrumptious!!!!

Types of cheese used for different dishes:

Feta - Greek salad, spinach, leek, and pumpkin pies
Cream cheese - cheese cake
Cheddar - baked dishes
Mozzarella - pizzas

Either homemade ravioli or lasagna....

or...cheese dumplings in wonton wrappers

or...Canoli

or...cheesecake

or...cassata cake.....

Or just a real good quality cheddar directly from vermont with pretzels right off the steet vendor's cart.

Or a goat cheese and strawberry omelet.

Or an apple cheddar omelet.

Or layered between grilled vegetables for a napolean

Or sprinkled on polenta..

Too many, way too many

mac and cheese
lasagna
pizza
quiche
you name it
and by the way...feta goes well with shrimp, and cheddar is awesome with clams.

Robo410 said:
mac and cheese
lasagna
pizza
quiche
you name it
and by the way...feta goes well with shrimp, and cheddar is awesome with clams.

Mac & Cheese! I forgot that. I use enough cheese in mac and cheese that every mouse in a 10 mile radius has to go on rations for a month.

I never did care much for cheese with seafood, with the exception of a bit of ricotta on a seafood pizza.

As far as seafood and cheese goes I can think of seafood risotto - this is one time cheese and seafood go quite nicely together. Or an Alfredo with scallops and andouille sausage.

Take a serving size piece of kielbasa and split in half (but not all the way). Open as much as you can and top with mashed potatoes, top the mashed potatoes with LOTS of shredded cheddar cheese and bake in oven 350 degrees F. for 30 or so minutes.

Love cheese grits - it even makes those little packets of grits taste good (sort of).

As far as cheese goes, I use all different types in nearly everything & anything. I also love purchasing different varieties from well-stocked cheese counters & enjoying them on their own with crackers, fruit, & vino.

As far as my favorite dishes where cheese is the star ingredient, I'd have to say cheese fondue, & mozzarella en carrozza (the predecessor to the commercial mozzarella stick).

Honestly, among my repartoire it would be faster to count the dishes which do not contain cheeses...:LOL:
We are total cheeseheads, favourite recipes using cheese would be too many to count!!

Ditto what everybody else said, cheese on {almost} everything please! But I suppose I love the best that cheese s a meal in itself with fruit or crudite and good bread or crackers and a beautiful wine, that there aasre always MORE cheeses to try. And when its miserable outside and one doesn't want to cook cheese on toast, I like it best with a generous dunking in balsamic vinegar, it always fills the gap, or my families variation, I have posted before which we call Catsick....cheese, a tin of sardines, tomato ketchup and Worcester sauce, all forked together and shoved on toast under the grill. Looks foul, tastes grerat!

Cheese......mmmmmmmmmm

My wife makes the most wonderful baked ziti. She uses her secret ingredients which includes lots of cheese, namely mozzarella and ricotta. But, boy whatever she puts in there sure makes a big difference!

Absolutely my favourite, apart from all my other favourites of course, is aubergine parmigiana with fontina cheese in the layers and parmesan on the top.

Then of course I love this souffléed macaroni cheese recipe with mascarpone, gruyere and parmesan: Souffleed Macaroni Cheese from Delia Online

And I love any Greek pie with feta cheese in.

Brie and gherkin on granary bread sandwich.

Goats cheese melted on toast served with a salad of red-tinged lettuce and sun-dried tomatoes. Dressing made of bits of bacon fried in olive oil and then turn off the flame and add balsamic vinegar to the pan while it's still warm - stand back the fumes are a bit strong when you add the vinegar.

In fact, I'd be quite happy with a recipe that consisted of a slice of cheese and a few black olives and a piece of granary bread spread with salted butter.

I'd have to go for my favourite comfort dish - Cauliflower Cheese. Cooked cauli, potato and a little onion with huge quantities of grated Farmhouse Cheddar, a pinch of nutmeg, topped with a few rounds of tomato and breadcrumbs, baked in the oven till brown.

Having said that, after yesterday's BBQ we pulled out a piece of Brie, a piece of Camembert, a Petit Livarot ( stank to high heaven!) a little Bleu d'Auvergne and some delicious goat cheese from Normandie; fresh crusty bread and butter; a glass of robust red wine. Heaven on a plate!

Here are a few of my favorites that have some of my favorite cheeses.

Hot and spicy artichoke dip - Parmesan cheese
Mexican pizza - cheddar
Green chile enchilada casserole - Monterey jack or pepper jack
Turkey sage meatball sandwiches - provolone or mozzarella

NYBrit said:
My cooking seems so boring after reading what you lot get up to in the kitchen!

It's called "passion" !

Keep inventing in the kitchen and one day it will grab you firmly and never let go!!:LOL:

Back
Top Bottom