"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Eggs, Cheese & Dairy
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 12-22-2011, 12:59 PM   #1
Wine Guy
 
Steve Kroll's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Twin Cities, Minnesota
Posts: 6,345
Fondue dipping ideas

Tomorrow I thought I'd whip up a cheese fondue for dinner. To tell the truth, I'm a little bored with the usual apple or bread cube accompaniments. I thought chicken sausage chunks or blanched veggies might be good. I'm looking for other ideas, though.

What would you guys suggest?

Steve Kroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 01:10 PM   #2
Executive Chef
 
Timothy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: St. Augustine, Florida
Posts: 2,491
Hey Steve, I've never made a fondue in my entire life. I've only eaten it one time as a guest at somone else's home. It was ok, but nothing I've ever bothered to duplicate.

What exactly is the setup for a Fondue? Hot oil for cooking meat, and melted cheese for dipping are the only two I remember from my one-time experience.
__________________
Confirmed Sushi Addict
Timothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 01:16 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Dawgluver's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 25,016
Broccoli and cauliflower? Mushrooms, artichoke hearts, maybe marinated. Those little pickled peppers. Pearl onions. Pretzels. Pepperoni chunks.

I've never tried any of these, but thought they sounded interesting.
__________________
She who dies with the most toys, wins.
Dawgluver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 01:34 PM   #4
Wine Guy
 
Steve Kroll's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Twin Cities, Minnesota
Posts: 6,345
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy View Post
What exactly is the setup for a Fondue? Hot oil for cooking meat, and melted cheese for dipping are the only two I remember from my one-time experience.
Timothy, the cheese fondue I make is more of a beer & cheddar sauce, rather than the traditional Swiss fondue with wine and white cheese (usually some combination of Emmenthaler, Gruyere, and Fontina). Think beer cheese soup, except thicker. Probably my Wisconsin roots at work, but I love it.

We've also had chocolate dessert fondue, which is basically just a ganache that's kept warm. Try this sometime with angel food cake, strawberries, or pretzels.

We probably have the hot oil fondue more than anything. It was always our daughter's favorite when she was a kid. For that one, we dip chunks of steak, or sometimes shrimp.
Steve Kroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 01:37 PM   #5
Wine Guy
 
Steve Kroll's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Twin Cities, Minnesota
Posts: 6,345
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
Broccoli and cauliflower? Mushrooms, artichoke hearts, maybe marinated. Those little pickled peppers. Pearl onions. Pretzels. Pepperoni chunks.

I've never tried any of these, but thought they sounded interesting.
All good. As far as veggies, I was thinking Brussel sprouts or broccoli myself. I hadn't thought of pearl onions and mushrooms, but those sound good, too.
Steve Kroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 01:38 PM   #6
Master Chef
 
Aunt Bea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: near Mount Pilot
Posts: 7,549
Small boiled redskin potatoes.

Steve,
Google Raclette, it is similar but some of the items they serve are different.

Gherkins
Olives
Ham chunks
Aunt Bea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 01:49 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire
 
msmofet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 11,671
We love cheddar, swiss and beer fondue. Dip bread cubes and veggies. Thats the only fondue I have ever had.
__________________
There is freedom within, there is freedom without
Try to catch the deluge in a paper cup
There's a battle ahead, many battles are lost
msmofet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 02:10 PM   #8
Executive Chef
 
Timothy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: St. Augustine, Florida
Posts: 2,491
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll View Post
Timothy, the cheese fondue I make is more of a beer & cheddar sauce, rather than the traditional Swiss fondue with wine and white cheese (usually some combination of Emmenthaler, Gruyere, and Fontina). Think beer cheese soup, except thicker. Probably my Wisconsin roots at work, but I love it.

We've also had chocolate dessert fondue, which is basically just a ganache that's kept warm. Try this sometime with angel food cake, strawberries, or pretzels.

We probably have the hot oil fondue more than anything. It was always our daughter's favorite when she was a kid. For that one, we dip chunks of steak, or sometimes shrimp.
Thanks Steve, it sounds good to me. Except for the beer and cheese one. I don't care for beer very much.

Years ago, I drank my share of beer and then some, but I lost my taste for it.

I might have to pick up one of those fondue sets.
__________________
Confirmed Sushi Addict
Timothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 02:50 PM   #9
Wine Guy
 
Steve Kroll's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Twin Cities, Minnesota
Posts: 6,345
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy View Post
I might have to pick up one of those fondue sets.
I just assumed that everyone had one of these sitting on a dusty shelf in the back of the closet. They aren't quite as popular these days, but back when I got married (the first time), I seem to recall receiving 3 or 4 fondue sets as gifts.
Steve Kroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 02:56 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Dawgluver's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 25,016
We have one languishing in the basement, may have to bring it out! Tim, you might want to cruise second hand stores to pick up a used one.
__________________
She who dies with the most toys, wins.
Dawgluver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 04:58 PM   #11
Executive Chef
 
Timothy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: St. Augustine, Florida
Posts: 2,491
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
We have one languishing in the basement, may have to bring it out! Tim, you might want to cruise second hand stores to pick up a used one.
Thanks Dawgluver! I quit doing that. It costs $10 in gas by the time I find something that costs $20 new. The thrift stores are 5 miles apart here in St. Augustine. I'll just find one I like and buy it.

Suggestions on a Brand/Model???? Anyone???
__________________
Confirmed Sushi Addict
Timothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 05:11 PM   #12
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 3,709
Steve, check out The Melting Pot restaurant for their menu.
It's lovely really. Their three course meal is a cheese fondue, then a salad, then a broth or oil fondue for all kinds of meats and poultry.
I've never bought into the broth fondues. (to me, it's more like a Mongolian hot pot)

I liked the oil fondue, they offered quite a number of meats (duck, chicken, beef steak) and vegetables (with a tempura batter) and dipping sauces (horseradish mayo, marinara, mustard sauce w or w/o honey whole grain or finely ground, butter milk/ ranch).
I was given a Cuisinart electric fondue pot--it keeps a steady temperature so nicely! As compared to my sterno heated 1960's era fondue pot.
If you had two fondue pots, you can do a small cheese fondue, salads, then the oil fondue with the tempura choice or just fried, many types of meats and vegetables and all the dipping sauces you like.

Added: Don't forget the tradition. If you lose your item in the pot, you have to kiss the cook! Seriously 1960's.
__________________
https://cspinet.org/eating-healthy/foods-avoid/big-fat-myths
Check out NutritionFacts.org for the latest in nutrition research.
blissful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 05:41 PM   #13
Head Chef
 
merstar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 2,002
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
Broccoli and cauliflower? Mushrooms, artichoke hearts, maybe marinated. Those little pickled peppers. Pearl onions. Pretzels. Pepperoni chunks.

I've never tried any of these, but thought they sounded interesting.
Ooh, I love the pretzel idea!
__________________
"Strength is the capacity to break a chocolate bar into four pieces with your bare hands - and then eat just one of the pieces."
merstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 05:59 PM   #14
Executive Chef
 
Timothy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: St. Augustine, Florida
Posts: 2,491
Quote:
Originally Posted by blissful
Don't forget the tradition. If you lose your item in the pot, you have to kiss the cook! Seriously 1960's.
Wait, if you're eating fondue, YOU'RE the cook! How does one kiss oneself?
__________________
Confirmed Sushi Addict
Timothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 06:29 PM   #15
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 3,709
My mother had the tradition--if you lose your item you kiss the cook.
Other traditions are: that if a man loses his bread in the pot, he buys drinks all around, and if a woman does, she must kiss her neighbors (at the table I suppose).

Kissing yourself? If you put the toasted french bread cube on the fork, first through the bread and lastly through the crust, you will never lose the bread.
__________________
https://cspinet.org/eating-healthy/foods-avoid/big-fat-myths
Check out NutritionFacts.org for the latest in nutrition research.
blissful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 06:43 PM   #16
Executive Chef
 
Timothy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: St. Augustine, Florida
Posts: 2,491
Quote:
Originally Posted by blissful View Post
if a man loses his bread in the pot...
I *HATE* losing my bread in the pot! All men do. <Mind drifting a bit>
__________________
Confirmed Sushi Addict
Timothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 06:46 PM   #17
Certifiable Executive Chef
 
Janet H's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Pacific NW
Posts: 3,781
Marinated mushrooms are great in fondue as are pickled veggies. Consider some fresh pear chunks instead of apples.

Now for the weird suggestions..

falafel (get the pre made ones at costco)
crispy cooked tatertots (yes, I said that)
crispy fried tofu cubes (have to be better with cheese)
Sugar snap Pea /pods
__________________
Forget love... I'd rather fall in chocolate!
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 06:51 PM   #18
Executive Chef
 
Timothy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: St. Augustine, Florida
Posts: 2,491
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet H View Post
Marinated mushrooms are great in fondue
Just put a carton of button mushrooms into a marinade of Whishbone Italian.

I'm thinking....overnight? Or, how long is best?
__________________
Confirmed Sushi Addict
Timothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 06:53 PM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Dawgluver's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 25,016
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet H
Marinated mushrooms are great in fondue as are pickled veggies. Consider some fresh pear chunks instead of apples.

Now for the weird suggestions..

falafel (get the pre made ones at costco)
crispy cooked tatertots (yes, I said that)
crispy fried tofu cubes (have to be better with cheese)
Sugar snap Pea /pods
So what's weird about those suggestions? They sound great! Love the Tots!

OK, getting out the basement relic....
__________________
She who dies with the most toys, wins.
Dawgluver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 06:55 PM   #20
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 3,709
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll View Post
Tomorrow I thought I'd whip up a cheese fondue for dinner. To tell the truth, I'm a little bored with the usual apple or bread cube accompaniments. I thought chicken sausage chunks or blanched veggies might be good. I'm looking for other ideas, though.

What would you guys suggest?
Well, I'm not 'one of the guys'.......but, what have you decided? Will we get pictures? wishing you and yours a happy fondue dinner!
__________________
https://cspinet.org/eating-healthy/foods-avoid/big-fat-myths
Check out NutritionFacts.org for the latest in nutrition research.
blissful is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
cheese, fondue, other

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:59 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.