Fried eggs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I guess I'm a little afraid of butter. I'm borderline hypertensive, about 75lbs overweight, and had a scare with a possible congestive heart failure diagnosis about a year ago. It turned out I didn't have it, but you can only slap the bull so many times before your luck runs out. I eat most of my meals out, and I like all the things that are bad for me and none of the things that are good for me. The only healthy thing I do is not eat mammals, and that's because i feel sorry for them, not due to any health consciousness. I want to do better.

My chlorestoral numbers are good, so i figured eggs are OK, especially if i can avoid butter and salt...

With all the cholesterol and sat fat in the eggs, a pat of butter is not going to tip the scales against you. Use real butter, you won't need a lot.

Salt will make a huge difference in the taste of the eggs. Try a little once you plate the eggs.

I'd tell you to keep practicing with changes in the salt and butter levels, cooking temperatures etc. but you shouldn't be eating all that many eggs each week.

Even if there is a problem with eggs, doesn't adding butter just compound that?

I think adding eggs to butter would make compound butter.:LOL:

Seriously though, it is my personal opinion that no one thing will make you unhealthy, but that we should strive to eat things that are as close to the garden or hoof as possible. The more processing that takes place with the food that we eat, the harder it is for our bodies to process. That said I know it would be very difficult to use entirely natural, raw food to prepare all of our meals. But I think we can maintain a balance, and still enjoy some things we love in moderation. I myself am about where you are (75 lbs overweight) so I can identify. But my BP, cholesterol, etc are all in check so I guess I don't worry about it. But as I approach 40, I think I need to make some lifestyle changes for my long term health. The problem is that I love to cook!

Edit: I am not a dietician, nutrionist, doctor, etc. So take my words with a grain of salt. Or for those with high BP, maybe some fresh ground pepper.

i personally i like poached eggs - no buttered addeto cook and lots of yolk to dip in so long as you don't over cook them.

Waffle House!

i personally i like poached eggs - no buttered addeto cook and lots of yolk to dip in so long as you don't over cook them.

Yes, but you don't often see poached eggs at the Waffle House. :)

I love Waffle House! I'm sure they serve up heart-attacks on a plate, but somethings are just too yummy to change. I have few vices, so plan to keep eggs fried in butter among them. ;) I'll take a few Omega-3 fish oil pills after eating to compensate. :rolleyes:

~Kathleen

There are a lot of good sugestions here. The only thing I would like to add is do not fry eggs straight from the fridge. They should be room temp when you start frying them. Then the white part will cook faster and the yolk will still be runny.

I love Waffle House! I'm sure they serve up heart-attacks on a plate, but somethings are just too yummy to change. I have few vices, so plan to keep eggs fried in butter among them. ;) I'll take a few Omega-3 fish oil pills after eating to compensate. :rolleyes:

~Kathleen

My favorite thing at WH is their hashbrowns all the way.

~Kathleen
ithink you can get them poached if you ask. personally we have done alot of traveling and we went to 2 WH over the years in different parts of the country and the food stunk. i would also like to add denny's to that list of place we didn't like. sorry people

fried eggs

I save all my bacon grease to fry my eggs in, the flavor can't be beat. Medium heat works fine for me. Also fried potato's are the best fried in bacon grease.

You do know that when you go to a Waffle House, unless you speak with a southern accent, they charge you double! :ROFLMAO:

Having a good belly laugh folks......what can be worse for one's diet then eating out frequently at a restauant....and frying in bacon fat......oy vey!!!
Remember the old saying....everything in moderation....but really, try not to eat out so much......restaurant food is really not the healthiest constant diet.

ithink you can get them poached if you ask. personally we have done alot of traveling and we went to 2 WH over the years in different parts of the country and the food stunk. i would also like to add denny's to that list of place we didn't like. sorry people

Waffle House is some of the best worst food around! Lots of grease, etc. I love their eggs and hash browns though. We all have our guilty little secrets. ;)

You forgot covered, chunked, and topped!:LOL:

Nope, I like Bert's chili in the bowl. And I just don't like the hash browns with cheese. Go figure. :)

You do know that when you go to a Waffle House, unless you speak with a southern accent, they charge you double! :ROFLMAO:

Tha's cause we could be kin! We southerners get the fresh eggs too.:chef:

~Kathleen

Waffle House is some of the best worst food around! Lots of grease, etc. I love their eggs and hash browns though. We all have our guilty little secrets. ;)

Nope, I like Bert's chili in the bowl. And I just don't like the hash browns with cheese. Go figure. :)

Tha's cause we could be kin! We southerners get the fresh eggs too.:chef:

~Kathleen
yeah we like murder burgers AKA white castle 2X a year LOL

flavor will never even come close. They may also use a yellow and butter flavored shortening product that contains salt. I am sure they seasoned their eggs with salt even if they did not use black pepper. Try using a cast iron pan to fry the eggs. That is all I use.

That is what WH uses and little spray will not give the same result.

Update: WOW!

OK, so i decided to try a little butter and salt.

I heated the pan on high, put in a pat of butter and swirled it around till the pan was covered.

Then, I turned the flame down to "low", and put two eggs in.

They cooked really fast. I slid them off onto a plate, lightly salted them and put a little pepper on and started dippin'.

Man, they were amazing! The butter and salt made all the difference in the world.

After I was done dipping them, I put the eggs onto two pieces of toast and had a nice egg sandwich. The only thing that would've improved it was some Miracle Whip, but I'm afraid that is just going too far.

I'm going to experiment with using less butter, but if butter is what it takes, then that's what I'll do. i'll just eat them a few less times per week.

Thanks for all the help!

PS: DD Lily give's them two paws up.

yeah we like murder burgers AKA white castle 2X a year LOL

Oh, do I miss White Castles. When I lived in Atlanta, they had Krystal, which they swear are the same thing, but they aren't.

A year and a half ago, I quit eating mammals. I know it sounds dumb, but I feel sorry for them, and decided I didn't need to eat them; there are other things to eat.

I hate fish, though, so it's chicken & turkey for me.

It hasn't been as hard as I thought it would be. The things I miss most are:

1. White castles

2. Chile mac from Steak-N-Shake

2. Cajun burgers with cole slaw from Backyard Burger

oddly, Whattaburger has the best grilled chicken sandwich in the world, although Chick-Fil-A's is pretty good, too, and that Original Recipe sandwich they had for awhile at KFC was unbelievable.

Back
Top Bottom