Frittata question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

giggler

Sous Chef
I need technique qustion for this, will this work?

Heat 10 inch non stick pan on stove

fry some onion and bell pepper in oil
add some greens like spinach
add a bunch of cheese
add 6 scrambled egg and milk mixture

Then stir a bit, but do not actually scramble the eggs

let it set up,

then some of these shows say, Flip the thing over to brown other side! I can't do that.

another show said, put it under the broiler for 2 minutes till brown on top?

Thanks, Eric, Austin Tx.

Flipping and broiling will brown the top side. If you can't manage a flip, use the broiler. I use the broiler.

You can try to turn the frittata over using a dinner plate on the skillet.

Eric, the way that I make Frittata is to finish the dish in a 350° oven until just done ... 8-20 minutes depending on the size.
Keep an eye on it as to not over bake the eggs, this will make for a very dry dish.
Think of Frittatas as a crust-less quiche, you want the eggs to be soft and moist not dry and sponge-y.

Another method if you do not have an oven-proof pan is to utilize a large dinner plate.
Place the plate over the pan, with one hand flat over it and holding firmly; flip the entire pan, Frittata and all, onto it.
Then gently slide the un-cooked top of the eggs to the hot surface of the pan.
Again, keep an eye on it, you don't want to over cook it.
:chef:

I use the dinner plate method, too, but I slide it out onto the plate, then put the pan over the plate, and flip. This way, the uncooked egg on the top doesn't get on the plate.

Traditional fritatta (Trust me, I'm Sicilian. I know these things): Fritattas work best in a cast iron skillet. Leave out the milk, that would make it a soufflé. Diced potato is traditional. Cook through on stove top, pulling back the edges and tipping the pan until all the egg is cooked, then sprinkle shredded cheese on top and stick it under the broiler to cook the top and make the cheese brown and bubbly.

I don't make a lot of frittata's but when I do it as Sir LOB does it - and I'm not Sicillian. ;)

I find that the easiest/fastest. Save the oven to hold the bacon and warm up the plates.

Traditional fritatta (Trust me, I'm Sicilian. I know these things): Fritattas work best in a cast iron skillet. Leave out the milk, that would make it a soufflé. Diced potato is traditional. Cook through on stove top, pulling back the edges and tipping the pan until all the egg is cooked, then sprinkle shredded cheese on top and stick it under the broiler to cook the top and make the cheese brown and bubbly.

+1
Sir Loin of BEEF nailed it.

Seeeeya; Cchief Longwind of the North

I usually make frittata in a cazuela: a ceramic casserole dish from Spain. It can be used both on a burner and in the oven, is lighter in weight, and heats more evenly than cast iron.

IsPiCqi.jpg

E0rW9ll.jpg

I don't have any different suggestions than those above. I just wanted to share a friend's Facebook post that made me smile

"Last night I convinced my 4 year old to try a new food (frittata) by calling it a "bacon cake". I'm pretty sure this the biggest parenting "stroke of genius" I've ever had."

I don't have any different suggestions than those above. I just wanted to share a friend's Facebook post that made me smile

"Last night I convinced my 4 year old to try a new food (frittata) by calling it a "bacon cake". I'm pretty sure this the biggest parenting "stroke of genius" I've ever had."

Indeed!! :LOL:

Ross

To make a proper frittata, you need to have an I.Q. above 135, and hail from Michigan's U.P.:chef:

As for soufflé, it's a puffy, tall, and airy egg dish made by beating egg whites into a meringue, and flavoring with cream, and either sweet, or savory additions. Baking it cause the air bubbles of the egg whites to expand, causing the soufflé to rise above its cooking vessel, and set. I know this, even though I have a smidgeon of French in me.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Last edited:
It's OK guys, even though you are Sicilian and/or have a bit of French in you, we don't hold it against you... You are forgiven.

It's OK guys, even though you are Sicilian and/or have a bit of French in you, we don't hold it against you... You are forgiven.

I appreciate that.:mrgreen:. Mostly, I'm Ntive American, which obviously makes me an expert at corn chowder, and fry bread.:ROFLMAO:

Oh, and I have an I.Q. of 138, which makes me smart enough to make mistakes, and make custom fishing rods.

Needed a break from listening to the Memphis Grizzles rear-whuppin' from the Washington Wizards. Seeing this thread for the first time. Apparently disqualified from comment for lack of certified intelligence, but tossing in my two cents nonetheless.

I cook for one with minimal equipment. I like frittatas cooked like scrambled eggs or omelets added to sauteed veg and/or meats in a six-inch cast-iron skillet. Put stuff on top. Move into the old, cheap, trusty four-slice toaster oven. Temperature, bake vs broil, and distance to top burner depend on what got put on top. After a minute or four, eat out of the skillet or move to a plate, flipped or unflipped, whichever side works or looks proudest.

Oh, yeah. Not sure why it matter but my heritage is undeterminable.

Last edited:
Needed a break from listening to the Memphis Grizzles rear-whuppin' from the Washington Wizards. Seeing this thread for the first time. Apparently disqualified from comment for lack of certified intelligence, but tossing in my two cents nonetheless.

I cook for one with minimal equipment. I like frittatas cooked like scrambled eggs or omelets added to sauteed veg and/or meats in a six-inch cast-iron skillet. Put stuff on top. Move into the old, cheap, trusty four-slice toaster oven. Temperature, bake vs broil, and distance to top burner depend on what got put on top. After a minute or four, eat out of the skillet or move to a plate, flipped or unflipped, whichever side works or looks proudest.

Oh, yeah. Not sure why it matter but my heritage is undeterminable.

I was just poking fun. Heritage, and I.Q. are irrelevant. Like I said, I'm just smart enough to make mistakes.:rolleyes:

I was just poking fun. Heritage, and I.Q. are irrelevant. Like I said, I'm just smart enough to make mistakes.:rolleyes:

I knowed that Chief. :)

I read the whole thread tongue in cheek and tried to respond in the same vein.

But have so often thought that the combination of a decent hot plate, 6" CI skillet, and 4 slice toaster oven goes so far in beginner, college, divorced kitchens that it deserves more mention. A frittata for one, or even two, is the perfect example.

Last edited:
I watched Bobby Flay make a frittata today on a Brunch @ Bobby's rerun and I was very disappointed. First of all, he didn't put any diced potato in it, but I forgave him because he had potato hash on the side, he did use Italian sausage and peppers in the mix, he put it under the broiler to cook the top. But, when it came time to serve it, he dumped in onto a serving plate UPSIDE DOWN! My neighbors must have thought I was nuts because I was screaming at the TV "Flay, you stupid Mic, that's how you serve a Spanish tortilla, not an Italian frittata! :furious:

Even worse, back when FoodTV had actual cooking shows, I was watching Ina Garten attempting to make a frittata. First she added cream to the egg batter, and I am cringing because that's not a ftittata, it's a souffle. Then she added flour and I started to cry. She had turned what started out as a marginally acceptable frittata into a quiche! If you want to cook it that way for Jeffrey, fine, with all the salt you use his blood pressure has to have him close to a coma anyway. But if you are going to go on television and tell others how to cook, for God's sake, do your homework!!!

Last edited:
Does Spain have proprietary rights to "Frittata"? I thought it was originally an egg-based Italian dish.

Further exposing my ignorance, I'll admit that arguments like Spanish versus Italian cuisines seem no more important to me than Tennessee Whiskey versus Kentucky Bourban.

I only flip a broiled frittata if I've screwed up and want to hide the top. :)

The older I get the more I recognize how often accusations of stupidity were mirror images.

Back
Top Bottom