Half an Egg

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PA Baker

Master Chef
I want to make half a batch of a cookie recipe. The whole recipe calls for one large egg. How do I halve that? I've read that it's OK to still use one whole egg, but I worry that's too much moisture. Any ideas?

You could use:

a powdered egg white mix
1 tb flax seeds + 3 tb water = 1 egg (process thoroughly in a blender)
1/4 c tofu = 1 egg
1/4 c applesauce = 1 egg
1/4 c mashed banana = 1 egg

Hmm, I am not sure how it would turn out but I would not be bothered to try and get half an egg, I would just continue using the whole one.

Alternatively find a smaller egg than what you would normally use.

Will the egg be beaten? Could you beat it and then try to pour half into another container? Maybe pour slowly and use a scissor to cut the egg when you get the right amount? Not sure if any of this would work. Just brainstorming here.

I thought about that, too, GB. I also thought about using egg beaters but I don't want to affect the texture of the cookie.

I say make the whole recipe worth of dough and freeze the stuff you don't want to cook right away. That way you won't have to worry about halving anything and you will have another pile of dough for your next craving or emergency.

Alix said:
I say make the whole recipe worth of dough and freeze the stuff you don't want to cook right away. That way you won't have to worry about halving anything and you will have another pile of dough for your next craving or emergency.

That's what I'm leaning towards. I have way too many Christmas cookies already so I was trying to be good and cut back on what I'm baking. DH said to just not make them. He should know better--I can't do that! :LOL:

LOL! My DH is always complaining I am trying to make him fat when I bake. I keep telling him it isn't my hands that are stuffing his face!

Alix said:
LOL! My DH is always complaining I am trying to make him fat when I bake. I keep telling him it isn't my hands that are stuffing his face!

LOL! So true, Alix! But I doubt my DH would appreciate hearing that! ;)

OOOOOOO! I just read that and realized how bad that sounds!!! It really isn't said quite that way...it is more of a gentle tease, especially since my DH is quite slender. I am embarrassed now. :oops:

Don't be! I took it exactly how you meant it! The conversation would go the same way in my house so I hope you don't think I'd be saying mean things to my hubby, either! :LOL:

Not at all! Whew! Isn't it tough sometimes to make yourself understood when people can't hear your voice or see your face? Makes you realize how much more there is to communicating than just the words we use.

Thanks for understanding PA. Did you ever resolve your issue? Did you make a full batch and freeze?

Actually I haven't gotten around to making them yet! I realized I had a ton of cookies made already and I'm doing my best to control myself. It's so hard! :cry:

I use egg beaters in this circumstance, maybe use a tad more of whatever fat is in the recipe to compensate.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom