Home-made cheddar cheese?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

suziquzie

Chef Extraordinaire
Can one make it themselves? I was just thinking, we go thru at LEAST a pound a week here, usually more. Our budget is so tight, it's gotta be cheaper home-made, pound for pound.
I know you can make ricotta, could you make cheddar?

It would be quite challenging to do it at home and probably not worth the effort.

Not to mention the price of the cow...... :wacko:

If there's one cheese I always have on hand, it's cheddar. I try to pick it up on sale whenever I see it and haven't really noticed a difference between name brand and store brand.
I've got five little packages of the stuff right now because they came out cheaper than a big brick. And I'm still using the brick. This is where the Reynold's vaccuum sealer gets its workout, keeping my cheddar cheese good.

I actually bought a cheese making kit from that very company. It was for homemade mozzarella , ricotta cheese. The ricotta worked fine, the mozzarella wasnt as successful. I wanted to try the hard cheeses, just never got around to it ( decided to try my hands at wine making since i had a bumper crop of kiwi's )

Saw a documentary about making hard cheeses like the commercial ones and I think that it would be quite a task as a lot of them are "aged" under very special environmental conditions---check your food ads (ours come out on Wed.) and look for specials and then load up---cheese will last a long time in the fridge esp. if you keep it tightly wrapped---any mold can be cut away.....maybe you can cut down easier in other areas

Yeah, dumb idea. I'll just go to Sam's club. Thanks though!

You can freeze cheddar that you intend to use for cooking quite successfully too. When I get one of those pre-shredded packets, I stick it in the freezer. Makes it last a long time then too.

As to the difference between name and no-name cheeses, in a lot of instances there isn't much of one but some of them can be very salty and others don't melt as well as they should. But if you find a no-name you are happy with it - why not stick with it! Don't know what it is like in the US, but over here, a lot of the no-name brands are made by the same producers as the named brands and there is no difference other than packaging and marketing.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom