Homemade sweetened condensed milk

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

marmalady

Executive Chef
Just came across this, and I'm about to try it; I'm going through a lot of it, with key lime pies and 'magic cookie bars' lately, and that little can is so expensive! I'll let you know how it turns out!

SWEETENED CONDENSED MILK

6 cups whole milk

4 ½ cups sugar

1 stick unsalted butter

1 T vanilla

Cook over medium heat, reducing liquid, for about 1 hour, stirring occasionally. Yields 4 ½ cups; will keep in fridge for several weeks. Cut recipe in half if you don’t need as much.

What a great recipe, please post how it turns out, I may try it out. Thanks!

I could be wrong, but I think dulce de leche is cooked down even more, so it caramelizes. The recipe I posted is 'supposed' to be just like it comes out of the can!

This weekend is my experiment time, so I'll let y'all know soon!

Yes, dulce de leche varies from region to region. I know the version I grew up with was most closely associated with the region of where my parents were from. And that is the version that my Mom's company makes.

Cajeta seems to be a bit thicker and darker at times. ALso depends on if you're getting it right fresh from the kitchen or if youre buying it in a store. Packaging also seems to affect it. It's like the second best topping next to ketchup.

paula deans condensed milk

Sweetened Condensed Milk
Recipe courtesy Paula Deen

Ingredients
1/3 cup boiling water
4 tablespoons butter
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 cup powdered milk (recommended: Carnation)

Instructions
Using an electric mixer, blend together water, butter, sugar, and
vanilla.
Add powdered milk and blend until thick. Store in refrigerator for up to 1 week.

Fantastic, I never even dreamed you could make your own condensed milk. I am sick of paying $2 (au) for a small tin so this idea is right up my alley. If I get time I'll try it tomorrow or Sunday.
Thanks Marmalady.

Back
Top Bottom