How do I keep scrambled eggs from sticking to the pan?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Michael in FtW said:
Yes - they could. They could also stick to a nonstick skillet if you were trying to use too high heat or cook them too fast.

If you'll just answer the basic question ... what type of cookware are you using ... and describe what you are doing - we probably could help you! As long as you want to play 20-questions ...

i'm using a cheap stainless sauce pan (it looks like a little pot with a handle on it), i'm turning the stove on medium, heating the pan, throwing in a bit of butter, then putting in the eggs and stiring them with a fork.

they will not scramble on low 1/4 temperature.

If you make eggs a lot, get a non stick pan. You don't have to get a $160 All Clad, just go to a store and you can probably pick one up for $12. And get some olive oil too. I could never make fried eggs very well till I used olive oil. That stuff is like WD-40 for eggs.

those look like the ones i have
eggs have stuck to them a bit
maybe its cause they are old pans..

I have to admit that I don't consider scrambled eggs to ever be a "health food" - lol!!! Regardless of the pan type, LOTS of butter is my key. Whether one of my stainless steel pans or nonstick, eggs come out fluffy & buttery - & dry, which is the way I personally like them (can't stomach gooey eggs), but that's up to the cook.

The amount of butter used does depend on the cookware. For nonstick I use approximately 1 tablespoon of butter for each egg; for stainless I double that amount.

how does alot of butter make the eggs dry?

i just use enough to cover the pan with a thin layer

i add a little bit of water and milk to make my eggs fluffy

The butter itself doesn't make the eggs "dry" - the amount of butter just allows me to cook the eggs to the dryness level I like without them burning.

vagriller said:
Bang, those look like my pans. I didn't pay near that for them though. I'm sure I didn't pay more than $30-40 at Kohls.

Either did my wife. But those are very good pans. I have never had eggs stick to them. Sometimes I spray them with a little pam just in case.

I love my scrambled eggs. Good eats - super fast - cheap. I only use a cast iron skillet. (I have some 'non-stick' pans, and dislike them all.)

Low-Medium or a smidgen less. I small-dice some onions and red peppers, then turn on the heat. 1/2 tablespoon butter or olive oil for three eggs. When the skillet is hot, set the onions and peppers cook, Then I whisk up the eggs, with 1 tablespoon water per egg (milk will make them even fluffier), fresh ground pepper, and a pinch of salt per egg.

Add the egg mix and be ready to work fast - don't leave them for a moment. ( Now is the time to splash in some Tabasco if so inclined.) They'll start to set quickly. Draw set egg from the edge to the middle, and swirl liquid to the edges. Continue to draw cooked egg toward the center till there's really not enough liquid to swirl. Turn the eggs (I use one of those Oxo super-flexible metal spatulas.), They'll finish quick - maybe 30 - 45 seconds.

I expect a very minor amount of stick, but if they stick a bit too much it will have been from not enough fat in the pan, or too much heat.

I think that you can definitely have too little heat, but too much and they will be quickly irreparable.

MERTON said:
i really prefer to stay away from Teflon.

Then I recommend you get a quality tri-ply stainless steel skillet of the appropriate size and use it as directed above. To repeat:

Start with a clean pan

Bring it up to temp. - medium

Add the fat - I use a stick of butter and just rub the end in the hot pan. Enough melts off to cook the eggs.

Add the eggs to the hot pan and stir constantly with a fork for a bit.

Take the eggs out of the pan before they are fully cooked as they will continue to cook after being plated.

Whey do you really prefer to stay away from Teflon? Are you concerned about possible health issues?

Are there health concerns associated with Teflon?...I had not heard that.

For the record, I use cheap pans for both eggs and milk, and accept I will have to replace them every few years...lots of butter and a wooden paddle, not a fork. I make really good scrambled egg...I gave them for breakfast to a guy who had 2 Michelin starts and he said mine were among the best he had had.....amazing because I don't like scrambled eggs, lol

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom