How do you boil an egg?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
GG, I was wondering if peeling them in a large bowl of water would work. Thanks for letting us know.

Steve, thanks for testing for us.

I don't mind that the whites might be slightly more rubbery with this method. I think that's what I want for devilled eggs. I want those whites strong. ;)

Unorthadox

Pressure cooker. 8 minutes. Quick cool down and then fill the cooker with cold water. Perfect eggs every time and the shells come off easy. Also, since it only uses a cup of water the cooker gets up to pressure real fast.

Does anyone have a way to seal foodsaver bags without the machine?

Well, Food Saver seals with heat. I have two thoughts. You iron or what about heating up the Pie Maker and sealing with that heat. For me, I would try the iron. But use a cloth over the bag. Should it melt, you wouldn't want that plastic mess on the bottom of your iron.

Shucks, I gave all my Food Saver bags to Spike. Other wise I would experiment for you.

I do have some heavy duty Hefty freezer bags. I am off to experiment. Stay tuned. Will get back to you. :angel:

Well, I gave it a good try. The results were spotty at best. Some of the seal held and some didn't. You have to use the steam setting or it will never seal. And you have to wait a long time for the bag to cool completely. I put it in the fridge for a bit.

Perhaps a Food Saver bag would react better with the iron. After all it is meant to seal with heat. I will ask Spike to bring me a FS bag. I will try it with that. :angel:

My method, we usually do 4 at a time.
1) boil water in a kettle
2) pour boiling water into sauce pan.(75mm/3in. enuf to cover eggs)
3) add salt to the water
4) preheat eggs from fridge in warm tap water so they dont crack due to temperature change
5) gentley place eggs into saucepan of boiling water.
6) maintain gentle boil for 6 to 7 minutes for a soft centre, which is our preference.
My question
1) is the salt neccessary?
2) is there a better way?
:)
1. Never heard of putting salt in the water for boiled eggs..
2. If your way works carry on doing it. As they say - "If it ain't broke don't fix it"

I use the same method. When I made deviled eggs recently, rather than peel them under running water, I filled a mixing bowl with water and peeled them in it. Saves all that water running down the drain.
You live and learn! I've never peeled hb eggs under water. I didn't know you were supposed to!

I don't think you are "supposed to." It's just that the water makes it easier to separate small pieces of shell from the egg.

I boil my eggs for no more than 7 minutes. They aren't overcooked, but are cooked through. I then empty the water from the pan, bounce the eggs around to crack them all over, and fill the pan with cold water. I then let them set until they are cool enough to handle. Then the egg shell peels off easily, and I use the pan water to remove any tiny bits that I might have missed. Crazing the shell is the key as it separates the inner shell skin from the egg white. Just make sure that when peeling the egg, you get the skin with the shell.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

I boil my eggs for no more than 7 minutes. They aren't overcooked, but are cooked through. I then empty the water from the pan, bounce the eggs around to crack them all over, and fill the pan with cold water. I then let them set until they are cool enough to handle. Then the egg shell peels off easily, and I use the pan water to remove any tiny bits that I might have missed. Crazing the shell is the key as it separates the inner shell skin from the egg white. Just make sure that when peeling the egg, you get the skin with the shell.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Thank you, Chief. That's a much more detailed description of what I do ;) The last time I made them, I cooled them and put them in the fridge because I wasn't ready to peel and make the deviled eggs right away. So when I was ready to do that, I used a mixing bowl to help separate the eggs from the shells.

1. Never heard of putting salt in the water for boiled eggs..
2. If your way works carry on doing it. As they say - "If it ain't broke don't fix it"
I find that if a shell cracks, less of the white leaks out, when the water is salted. I have also seen eggs with small in their shells seal themselves up in salted water. I'm talking about cracks that appeared while the eggs were being boiled.

Well, Food Saver seals with heat. I have two thoughts. You iron or what about heating up the Pie Maker and sealing with that heat. For me, I would try the iron. But use a cloth over the bag. Should it melt, you wouldn't want that plastic mess on the bottom of your iron.

Shucks, I gave all my Food Saver bags to Spike. Other wise I would experiment for you.

I do have some heavy duty Hefty freezer bags. I am off to experiment. Stay tuned. Will get back to you. :angel:

Wonder if a curling iron would work.

LOL!!! Did you guys forget who you are talking to? No iron, no curling iron...:ROFLMAO::LOL:

LOL!!! Did you guys forget who you are talking to? No iron, no curling iron...:ROFLMAO::LOL:

Oh my! I have a Euro Pro iron with a very large water tank. You can iron for almost three hours before the tank needs to be refilled. I also have a very old ironing board that I found in a thrift shop in Tacoma in the early 70's. I paid the grand sum of $.69 for it. It is all wood. I have a pile of material pieces from projects. When my cover gets too stained or dirty in spots, I will cut a piece up and with Stitch Witchery, I cover the offending spot. I have had the cover as long as the board. I even mend the mended spots. It was on the board when I bought it. I iron everything in my house that is cotton. All my clothes are 100% cotton. Cotton tablecloths. But I do not iron my cotton undies. I am one of those fools who loves to iron.

When our kids were small and in school, I would get my iron and head to my sisters house. She had two ironing boards for our special day. She hated ironing and would put it off as long as she could. So when I would show up, she had quite a pile to be ironed. I always ended up getting the dresses with ruffles and other difficult trimmings that called for fussy ironing. Between the two of us, we got it all done by the time the kids got home from school. :angel:

Criminy. I can't even remember the last time I ironed something, and I'm positive I've never ironed for three hours :shock:

When DH was in Navy A school, he was required to wear the Navy-issued dungarees and blue shirt, ironed just so, with sharp creases in the shirt. We had been married less than a year at that point; he expected me to iron his uniforms but I set him straight. He was in the Navy, not me. So it was his responsibility to follow their regulations.

Criminy. I can't even remember the last time I ironed something, and I'm positive I've never ironed for three hours :shock:

When DH was in Navy A school, he was required to wear the Navy-issued dungarees and blue shirt, ironed just so, with sharp creases in the shirt. We had been married less than a year at that point; he expected me to iron his uniforms but I set him straight. He was in the Navy, not me. So it was his responsibility to follow their regulations.

LIKE!!

I learned to iron very young doing my Dad's Air Force uniforms. Mom hated ironing and she had three girls...guess who did it. I think I was about 12 when I decided I was not married to my Dad and I wasn't ironing his clothes anymore. Mom has an ironing pile that is so old, I bet they find Jimmy Hoffa in it.

Back to the egg boiling. Wondering if I can just crack them into a ramekin and steam them for easy hard boiled eggs for salads, etc. Most of the time we boil up a dozen just to have them for egg salad, they don't have to be pretty for that.

LIKE!!

I learned to iron very young doing my Dad's Air Force uniforms. Mom hated ironing and she had three girls...guess who did it. I think I was about 12 when I decided I was not married to my Dad and I wasn't ironing his clothes anymore. Mom has an ironing pile that is so old, I bet they find Jimmy Hoffa in it.

Back to the egg boiling. Wondering if I can just crack them into a ramekin and steam them for easy hard boiled eggs for salads, etc. Most of the time we boil up a dozen just to have them for egg salad, they don't have to be pretty for that.

I think that would work or as Chief mentioned poaching them longer than usual. I think it would be nice to find a TNT method for serving large groups, like your firefighters, things like egg salad, potato salad etc.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom