How do you boil an egg?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Gretchen said:
And one other tidbit--if you are making eggs for devilled eggs and want the yolk "centered", stir them gently in a circular motion when first adding to the water.
That's a new one on me. Thanks Gretchen.

Gretchen said:
...And one other tidbit--if you are making eggs for devilled eggs and want the yolk "centered", stir them gently in a circular motion when first adding to the water.

I never heard that either. I have heard that storing the eggs in the fridge with the carton on its side overnight will help center the yolks.

my question is, "Why do u need salt" boiling an egg, u cant tell, the shell does not absorb salt, does it, I only cook my eggs for 3-5 minutes, from cold water and they turn out perfect, but they are hard boiled, my son loves soft, so I do 3 minutes for him and they are perfect, why do some people say 20 minutes, that is way too long, YUCK. Your eggs would be ruined, wouldn't they.

SpiritWolf said:
...I only cook my eggs for 3-5 minutes, from cold water and they turn out perfect, but they are hard boiled, my son loves soft, so I do 3 minutes for him and they are perfect, why do some people say 20 minutes, that is way too long, YUCK. Your eggs would be ruined, wouldn't they.
I don't speak Australian so please forgive a silly question.
This is what I'd call a hard a boiled egg.
img_353467_0_278b5d5e9cecf83ef4fc2d2625c934d5.jpg

Is that what you get in three minutes?

Last edited:
how scientists cook the perfect boiled egg

Apparently British scientists have found the solution for the perfect boiled egg: a (first invisible) logo with heat-resistent ink is printed on the egg and only appears when the egg is boiled.

One will have to select the preference (soft,medium,hard) before buying the raw eggs.
Developed by the organisation Egg Lion Quality, which cares for the quality of the British breakfast eggs.
Read the article at CNN.com

What else will future bring us?:dry:

Bernhard said:
Apparently British scientists have found the solution for the perfect boiled egg: a (first invisible) logo with heat-resistent ink is printed on the egg and only appears when the egg is boiled.

One will have to select the preference (soft,medium,hard) before buying the raw eggs.
Developed by the organisation Egg Lion Quality, which cares for the quality of the British breakfast eggs.
Read the article at CNN.com

What else will future bring us?:dry:
Why are the talents of these young scholars not being used by the American Food Police?

Into cold water, when beginning to boil, time for 6 minutes then under cold running water for 5 minutes. ( wasteful creature that I am) :)

Always perfect. No green rings.

I put them in boiling water for about 4.5mins for a soft centre - 5.5 -6mins for a hard boiled.

I have never heard of putting salt and vinegar in the water, what does it do?

I used to put them in there when i put warm water and let them gradually boil but not on high, i was going for really hardboiled eggs then and it worked real good for me :) now im feeling like soft boiled ones hence my first description

Michael in FtW said:
Would you believe ... when a cookery school grad wants a job in a kitchen with a first class chef ... one of the first things they have to demonstrate is their ability to properly cook eggs?

Yeah, but the chef has the newbie make an omelette, not hard boil an egg.

1. Place quantity of eggs desired into pot large enough so they can roam freely.

2. Fill pot with cold tap water to double egg level

3. Place pot with eggs and water on a burner and turn the burner ON.

4. Once water comes to a boil (contrary to popular belief, a watched pot WILL eventually boil!), allow eggs to boil for 4 minutes.

5. Turn off burner, put lid on pot, and allow to sit for 10 minutes. If you have an electirc stove, remove pot from burner!

6. Drain off boiled water and rinse cooked eggs under cold running water until they can be handled without hurting yourself.

Peel and eat, or store in refrigerator until you want one, but no longer than a week or two.

Last edited:
This is part of the reason I love this place!
SEVENTY Posts and counting.... on how to boil an EGG!

:) :) :)

Place eggs in cold water to cover. Turn burner on high, after water begins to boil, set timer for 10 minutes, turn heat to medium. After 10 minutes, run under cold tap water for 3 minutes. I don't have green rings, shell sticking to egg, or under or over cooked eggs. Simple

I love boiled eggs, scrambled eggs, poached eggs. lol I was born in Gibraltar
and I cook spanish food. has anyone ever tried tortilla, its delicious
Here is the recipe, if you would like to try at home.

Ok, get 4-6 large fresh free range eggs

beat in a basin, in the meantime get 3 large potatoes

wash and chop into chunks, fry in deep hot oil

once cooked add to egg mixture, season with salt & pepper

then get one large onion, chop into cubes, fry in a little oil

then add onions to egg mixture

then get a large frying pan, with some olive oil

add mixture to the pan, then cook on one side

then get a large plate, place on frying pan, carefully turning the tortilla
upside down, cook the other side, when you do this, its best that you do
this over the sink, as there is an art to it.

serve either hot or cold with Mayonaise, you will love it
its so tasty. you can either add sweetcorn and peas to the mixture
when cooking the tortilla.

Please let me know how you get on,

From Suzita

I don't have green rings...

I don't like them without green rings, I don't like them when the fat lady sings, I don't like them without ham, I don't like them, Sam I Am!

has anyone ever tried tortilla, its delicious
Here is the recipe, if you would like to try at home.
A Spanish tortilla, as opposed to a Mexican tortilla, is a close cousin to the Italian fritatta. So many people, especially televison chefs, have bastardized the fritatta for so long that is seems to have lost it's identity.

First of all, a fritatta is made with egg, the whole egg, and nothing but the egg, so help me Grandma LoVullo. No milk or cream, no flour, and no baking soda. A fritatta is supposed to be dense, NOT fluffy!

A fritatta customarily has potato in it, small diced and sauted before you cook the eggs. Potato is usually joined by Italian sausage without a casing or panchetta, and it is added just before the potato is cooked and before the egg is added. Then, and only then, do you add the egg, and some type of melting cheese such as mozzarella or asiago. Gorganzola works too, if you like bleu cheeses. This is the point where you also add your vegetables, such as onions, scalions, bell pepper, or wwhatever vegetables you like.

A fritatta is cooked in a frying pan (I prefer a cast iron skillet) on top of the stove. Once the fritatta is lightly browned on the bottom, you slip it under the broiler to finish the top and perhaps melt some extra cheese onto it. It is NEVER baked in the oven. It is not a quiche, and it is not a souflle, it is a fritatta.

Suzita, thanks for the tortilla recipe. I will definitely be preparing it for my next brunch. What side dishes would you recommend? I am kind of partial to fruit salads to accompany brunch.

Last edited:
Wow, no posts for 19 months.
Things are simmering here.
This topic has so many posts is boiled eggs is the most simple meal to cook, aside from toast. Probly the worlds most common meal.
When storing boiled eggs in the fridge, I like to draw funny faces on them using a indelible black felt tip pen.
I wonder if the ink could influence the egg in a negative way?
Foogd for thot.
They appear more humorous.

Any time I make eggs I turn them into tea eggs!

tea-eggs-6.jpg

6 medium to large eggs
2 tea bags of earl grey tea
1/2 cup soy sauce
2 teaspoons salt
2 teaspoons sugar
4 pieces star anise
1 pinch of pepper

1. Put eggs in a medium-sized pot with enough water to cover the eggs.
  2. Bring water to boil, then lower heat to simmer for 4 minutes.
  3. Remove eggs from heat and allow them to cool(you can put them in an ice bath to speed this up.
  4. Take the back of a knife or spoon and crack eggs evenly all around.
  5. Return eggs to the pot and add the rest of the ingredients.
  6. Bring liquid to boil again, then simmer on very low heat for 1 to 4 hours(longer = more color/flavor), adding water if level gets too low.
  7. Remove from heat, cool, peel shells an WA-LA!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom