How do you doll up your cottage cheese?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cooking Goddess

Chef Extraordinaire
After GotGarlic mentioned cottage cheese in her dinner post on Monday, we kinda got onto a tangent about adding flavorings to cottage cheese. (Us? Off topic? Never...:stuart:) Anyroad, if you eat cottage cheese, do you like it with certain toppings or sides? Here are a few ways that I like it:

- with Greek Seasoning blend sprinkled on top and mixed in
- with apple butter. If you don't have apple butter, applesauce will do. Just add a bit more cinnamon.
- along side watermelon and blueberries
- with strawberries

Himself likes it with pineapple. That's OK, different people have different tastes.

Do you have any favorite way of enjoying cottage cheese?

We mostly use cottage cheese as a substitute for ricotta in lasagna and have used it that way in ravioli.

Yesterday, I had canned Mandarin oranges over mine. Today, I had Tajin sprinkled over some and later just salt over some more, but this is my very favorite way to have cottage cheese......

Blintz Pancakes

1 cup sifted all-purpose flour
1 TB. sugar
1/2 tsp. salt
1 cup dairy sour cream
1 cup small-curd cottage cheese
4 well-beaten eggs

Sift dry ingredients into bowl. Add remaining ingredients; fold only till flour is barely moistened. Bake on greased griddle. Stack cakes; serve with Blueberry Sauce. Makes 16

Source: B H & Garden Cookbook

For me, Cotty is dusted with Season-All or Lawry's.

I may have pineapple with it and some shredded sharp cheddar cheese.

A fine salad/dessert to promote good digestion. Love the stuff.

Cottage cheese is one of those foods I never have on hand because I eat it all as soon I bring it home from the store. It isn't as self-destructive as a compulsion to do the same with whiskey or ice cream but I just can't resist it. Been like that since I was a little kid. Promise myself I'm just going to have a little reward for putting the groceries away, then eat the whole 24-oz container in one sitting.

I like it with any and all kinds of fruit but also plain or with just freshly ground black pepper.

You make your own? I haven't researched it but from a cursory reading of this one site, it looks like a pretty involved process.

I make it the easy way. I don't remember the amounts, but it's basically just add some vinegar (I use ACV) or some lemon juice to some milk and let it sit until it curdles, then strain off the whey. Be sure to add a bit of salt or it will be flavourless.

Here are more specific directions. I have never bothered to heat the milk, but it would probably be quicker if I did.

Quick Cottage Cheese Courtesy of Alton Brown.

In Hawaii, Cottage Cheese is sold with the Pineapple in the container already!
It's okay, but I think you can do so much better.

I really enjoy Cottage Cheese with a can of well drained chopped Clams and some Chives! :yum: Served with a side of Triscuits. My favorite! HEH! I have can of Clams in the pantry :idea:

Also, drained, canned Tuna (keep it super chunky for me please) with chopped Black Olive, Green Onions and again Triscuits for dipping/scooping.

How about just lots of Black Pepper?

Fresh Pears diced and some Pecans (or Walnuts).

This harkens to the days when my Mother was trying to diet when I was a kid.
So we had a lot of Cottage Cheese in the house :rolleyes:
MAN! I haven't had Tricuits in forever...

I make it the easy way. I don't remember the amounts, but it's basically just add some vinegar (I use ACV) or some lemon juice to some milk and let it sit until it curdles, then strain off the whey. Be sure to add a bit of salt or it will be flavourless.

Here are more specific directions. I have never bothered to heat the milk, but it would probably be quicker if I did.

Quick Cottage Cheese Courtesy of Alton Brown.
Thanks, taxlady. ;)

AB's recipe looks pretty simple. I'm strongly tempted to halve the recipe and give it a go. Don't keep cream or half-and-half on hand so it'll have to wait till next grocery trip.

Thanks, taxlady. ;)

AB's recipe looks pretty simple. I'm strongly tempted to halve the recipe and give it a go. Don't keep cream or half-and-half on hand so it'll have to wait till next grocery trip.

I don't usually make a lot in a go. I usually use about a litre of milk, sometimes less. The cream isn't essential, but it is nice. BTW, the Indian cheese "paneer" is pretty much the same thing, but pressed and then cut into cubes for adding to some dishes.

CC is a staple in our house.. We, usually, have some daily..

We like it with diced peaches or diced avocado and tomato, depending on if wanting savory or sweet and what we have on hand..

Mostly, as a quick snack, we sprinkle "Everything Bagel" seasoning for a bit of crunch..

Ross

large curd fans here - 4% variety for taste.
a sprinkle of fresh ground black pepper for 'topping'
sometimes a 'side' to a bowl of diced fruit . . .

I'm another one for the fruit with CC. And I often put a large spoonful of chia seeds in, esp. when the container is runnier than usual, and stir it through the container - thickens quickly. Pineapple is probably my favorite fruit, and probably the one I eat the most with CC.

I've made my own before, but it's actually cheaper to buy it. The method used to make it is basically the same as that for making paneer or queso fresco, but these have more whey pressed out, to make them firm. And I can't make it with vinegar! First, some of it's left in the whey, which I want to use in things, and I don't want that, and I can still taste a hint of the vinegar in the cheese. So I use lemon juice, or, easier and cheaper (at least with the prices of lemons, these days), citric acid, dissolved in a little water.

This is going to sound awful, but my mother always put sugar on it! She grew up in Clewiston FL, in the heart of sugar cane country. Her father was a big mucky-muck with US Sugar, headquartered there. She put sugar on nearly everything!

Pepperhead, it might well be cheaper to buy it than to make it. But, if you only want a small amount and the rest of a package would go off, it's cheaper to make it. It's also handy to know how to make it in cases when you need a bit of cottage cheese, but you don't have any. I have seen recipes for the cc that called for rinsing the curds to get rid of the vinegar flavour.

I also like 4% cottage cheese. I like it with fruit or on salad.

cottage_cheese_berry_salad_021618_IMG_3643.jpg

Yesterday, I had canned Mandarin oranges over mine. Today, I had Tajin sprinkled over some and later just salt over some more, but this is my very favorite way to have cottage cheese......

Blintz Pancakes

1 cup sifted all-purpose flour
1 TB. sugar
1/2 tsp. salt
1 cup dairy sour cream
1 cup small-curd cottage cheese
4 well-beaten eggs

Sift dry ingredients into bowl. Add remaining ingredients; fold only till flour is barely moistened. Bake on greased griddle. Stack cakes; serve with Blueberry Sauce. Makes 16

Source: B H & Garden Cookbook

DH made these for breakfast this morning. He cut up a couple of peaches and also had some blueberries. He put a little homemade Simple Syrup over both fruits. Very Good!!!!! (especially with a LOT of bacon) lol

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom