How do you Egg? How do you Omelette?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Good Evening,

How do you egg ? How do you omelette ? Would love to hear from you all in ref to the topic ... And do you prefer white or toast colored eggs and why ?

This question brings me to, two countries ... so, In Spain I like to prepare Stuffed Hard Boiled Eggs with Tuna packed in Olive Oil ... I also like a French Style Omelette with some chives ... simple and French style Baguette with a drizzle of olive oil ...

Both these two countries have a Fritatta culture ... Spain has the Spanish Potato and Onion Tortilla ( not Aztec Mexican corn flat bread ) and Italia, a Fritatta with spinach with red bell pepper, green bell, gold bell and cheese ...

Growing up, my Swiss French Mom used to prepare a stunner Quiche, so yes, Broccoli Quiche ...

Margi.
Thanks in advance ...

Growing up in an Italian neighborhood, I have always loved the Italian Frittata. What I love is that the eggs are the foundation and you can put anything in it. I usually put the regular Italian everyday foods. Sliced peppers, (red, green, orange, yellow) onions, garlic, thinly sliced potatoes, sliced sausage. Very little meat, lots of veggies. Even asparagus. Anything that is in season. Just a walk through the produce department will give you ideas.

My daughter is a really good Italian cook. But her son would rather have my Frittata than hers. She is not willing to put the effort into slicing all those veggies. Sometimes I think I enjoy the prep work more than the eating. Its a hands on the food thing.

And I love Quiche. Any green veggie in that will do for me. Along with onions. :yum:

Poached in spicy tomato sauce

mmm, i haven't had eggs in purgatory in years.

i've been jonesing for a plain pizza, thin crust, topped with eggs in the last few seconds of cooking so they come out sunny side up (whites set, yolk runny).

i could also go for an egg sandwich.
there used to be a little shack on the corner of teterboro airport in joisey on rte. 46 that served the best italian-american egg sandwiches in the world! it was called a "double double".
the little old guy that ran the place would swipe a hunk of butter into one of his perpetually busy, banged up frying pans, then crack two eggs in. as the eggs cooked, he'd split a portugese roll, then spoon in the most delicious italian fennel sausage that was browned, cut into chunks, and then finishedand kept warm in a pork broth, much like a beer and onion bath for brats.. a quick flip of the eggs to cook them over easy with a still runny yolk, and they went over the sausages in the roll.

oh baby, they were good.

if you really wanted to go downtown, you could get cubed fried potatoes mixed with bits of onions and peppers, and even a cheese sauce on top, but that was over doing it imo.

the yolk was enough to go with the whites and sausage on a delicious, crunchy and chewy roll.

what about small fish? :rolleyes:
Wise guy!! :LOL:
mmm, i haven't had eggs in purgatory in years.

i've been jonesing for a plain pizza, thin crust, topped with eggs in the last few seconds of cooking so they come out sunny side up (whites set, yolk runny).

i could also go for an egg sandwich.
there used to be a little shack on the corner of teterboro airport in joisey on rte. 46 that served the best italian-american egg sandwiches in the world! it was called a "double double".
the little old guy that ran the place would swipe a hunk of butter into one of his perpetually busy, banged up frying pans, then crack two eggs in. as the eggs cooked, he'd split a portugese roll, then spoon in the most delicious italian fennel sausage that was browned, cut into chunks, and then finishedand kept warm in a pork broth, much like a beer and onion bath for brats.. a quick flip of the eggs to cook them over easy with a still runny yolk, and they went over the sausages in the roll.

oh baby, they were good.

if you really wanted to go downtown, you could get cubed fried potatoes mixed with bits of onions and peppers, and even a cheese sauce on top, but that was over doing it imo.

the yolk was enough to go with the whites and sausage on a delicious, crunchy and chewy roll.

Do you mean Harry's Corner, Rt 46 E South Hackensack across from Plaza 46 diner? Mom would take me there for sausage, pepper, onion, potato and egg sandwiches. YUM!! I miss that place.

I'm fussy about eggs. If they taste eggy, I wont eat them.
Just curious, do you eat farm-fresh, free range eggs or plain ol' grocery store eggs? The thing I like about the eggs from my hens, the eggs taste like eggs. The yolks are not rubbery and the yolks are so good. I guess they do taste eggy.

Sunny side up.
Carbonara. I love the base sauce of raw egg, cream, olive oil and fresh parmesan, with loads of black pepper and parsley on top. I will stray from the classic recipe and use sausage, ham, shrimp, mushrooms, onions, just about anything when making this dish. My favorite way is with hot Italian sausage....
Fritatas are also great when you have a few people stay over. I have a large 14 inch frying pan that can easily hold a dozen eggs or more. Add whatever, flip once, top with cheese and cover. Then, I slice it up in wedges like a pizza and let people take what they want.

Last edited:
Rock, have you ever tried substituting yogourt or sour cream for the cream in carbonara? It adds an interesting tangy flavour.

I like your idea of the giant fritata for serving eggs to a number of people at once.

Spaghetti Carbonara ... Frittata with sausage ... I just had such a late lunch ... and the aromas of a grilled piquant Spanish sausage are just very olfactory stimulating ... Not something I do everyday ... Laboral week, laboral cuisine ... Weekends I play ...

Thanks for the feedback Red Lobster.

Margi.

Last edited:
Frittatas are wonderful. I believe that one of us, posted the ingredients for a real lovely one ... or was it an Omelette --- well, inter-changeable ... YES, it was Princess Fiona ...

Have to re-read the whole post ... Later ... There is going to be a General Strike here on Thursday; minimal public transport, closed businesses and lots of protesting ... I am staying home with D.C. ...

Kind regards.
Margi.

It makes it edible to some lactose intolerant people. Not me, some friends.
I have a hard time using up plain yogurt for some reason. I buy it with a recipe or two in mind and then the rest of it sits there and gets lost in the back of the fridge. Until I find it with the dreaded blue fuzz on top. You can only buy it in the 750 gr. size around here. I have another use for it now.....

Addie,

I had not realised it until just now, that my only Grand daughter ( age 4 ) is ADYSON ...

Is your first name ADYSON too ? Her twin male cousins call her ADY ( ADDIE in pronounciation ) ...

Thanks alot for the feedback on the Frittata... I enjoy frittata very much ...

Kindest,
Margi.

I had half a cheese steak sandwich left and diced up some grape tomatoes. A little grapeseed oil in the pan, sauteed the tomatoes, added the chopped beef, green peppers, onions and cheese from the sandwich and heated through. Poured in two eggs and stirred, topped with Parmesan.

A cheese steak frittata!!! Yum!

Just curious, do you eat farm-fresh, free range eggs or plain ol' grocery store eggs? The thing I like about the eggs from my hens, the eggs taste like eggs. The yolks are not rubbery and the yolks are so good. I guess they do taste eggy.

The short answer is, it's a texture problem for me, not what kind or where purchased. I hated eggs growing up, but I'm warming up to them. The look & slime factor turns me off. Wont eat the white hard boiled, but if finely grated hard boiled is sprinkled over asparagus (Mimosa), it's okay. I like Avgolemono, Stracciatella & egg drop soup. Scrambled is okay in fried rice. I have found many different dishes/prep methods that I like over time, especially combined with vegetables.

Last edited:
Ok, all those picks made me hungry for an eg. Which I am not supposed to eat becasue of my high cholesterol. I'm going to hav one tomorow morning anyways.

Ok, all those picks made me hungry for an eg. Which I am not supposed to eat becasue of my high cholesterol. I'm going to hav one tomorow morning anyways.
Sometimes I have two extra egg whites with my egg. The whites, as you know, have no cholesterol, so I add the whites first and cook them with my fried eggs. Then I will mash them up and coat them with my runny yolk. And if you are scrambling or omletting, then just bung the whites in with your egg and mix it all together. This helps stretch that yummy yolk that is so bad for us.....

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom