How do you like your cheese?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I haven't met a cheese I didn't like except for Headcheese and Limburger. It just depends what I'm doing with it ... My absolute favorites, though, are the sharp cheddar and colby cheeses made by local creameries. Our cows have a higher butter fat content so tends to be creamier. And did you know Colby is named after the town 2 miles from my house? I drive by the original factory when I pick berries. Theres your fun facts for the day :)

I understand that Wisonsin passed rules that changed Colby from its original recipe, so that it could be mass-produced more easily, and that the original had a milky flavor, and was a gentle, young cheese that was supposed to be just delightful. I've seen a couple of Colby producers who claim to make the original recipe colby. Their cheese isn't cheap. But I'd like to try it sometime. I grew up on Kraft brand cheeses. Though I like them, the artisinal cheddars and other cheeses I've had are so so much better, IMHO.

I'd love to live where you do. Great cheese is a rare thing where I live, unless I go north into Ontario.

As to the greater cream content in your local milk, this is caused by colder temps, and the cow breed. When the air gets cold, the cows produce richer milk, but not as much as when it's warm.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

I understand that Wisonsin passed rules that changed Colby from its original recipe, so that it could be mass-produced more easily, and that the original had a milky flavor, and was a gentle, young cheese that was supposed to be just delightful ...
Most fresh cheese curds around here are Colby. Squeaky and yummy!

I'd love to live where you do. Great cheese is a rare thing where I live, unless I go north into Ontario.
When we lived in Oregon, I would haul cheese back every year. People thought I was crazy because there are some good artisan cheeses there. It's the creaminess though that they are missing.

As to the greater cream content in your local milk, this is caused by colder temps, and the cow breed. When the air gets cold, the cows produce richer milk, but not as much as when it's warm.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North
I did not know this, I just knew it was heavier. Thank you for the information!

When we lived in Oregon, I would haul cheese back every year. People thought I was crazy because there are some good artisan cheeses there. It's the creaminess though that they are missing.

Nothing beats a Tillamook Vintage White Cheddar!

Cheeses I usually have in the house
Wisconsin Cheddar
Parmesan Reggiano
Blue cheese, usually Maytag. For crumbles and I make my own blue cheese dressing which also makes a nice dip by itself.
Pre shredded packages of cheddar, "swiss" or monteray jack. Not the best for melting because you know they coat it with starch, but it's easy.

Sometimes, maybe once or twice / year Velveeta. Still makes the Best grilled cheese sandwich bar-none and you can melt a brick with a can of Ro-tel and even get fancy with some added hot sausage to mix in.

Cheeses that Rotate-- Jarlsberg, gorgonzola, provolone and smoked gouda.

Wish I had deeper pocket$ for --- gruyere, emmentaler. and stilton, which I have never had.

RockLobster some time ago posted a dinner pic with a square of St Agur Blue sitting plumply on top of a steak like a pat of butter. One of the best pics ever posted on DC, for all its simplicity of ingredients. I checked out the St Agur at my grocers. For one, they had it, for two, it didn't look like his, the veins were not as symmetrical or as veiny, for three it was expensive-er than I wanted to pay that day. Batting 4 for 4, now they haven't had it in their rotating inventory ever since. It's still on my list "to try".

Last edited:
I agree PF! Their aged cheddars are very good.

So a funny cheese story ... our favorite route to take on the motorcycle was starting in Red Lodge, Montana and riding the Beartooth and Chief Joseph Highways into Cody, Wyoming. On one of these trips, we frequented the bowling alley in Red Lodge for a few adult beverages and Monte and Jack (1/2 of the couple we were riding with) got to chatting with the bartender. By the end of the night, they had traded drinks for Wisconsin cheese which we mailed out to them when we got home. Who knew cheese could be currency!

I agree PF! Their aged cheddars are very good.

So a funny cheese story ... our favorite route to take on the motorcycle was starting in Red Lodge, Montana and riding the Beartooth and Chief Joseph Highways into Cody, Wyoming. On one of these trips, we frequented the bowling alley in Red Lodge for a few adult beverages and Monte and Jack (1/2 of the couple we were riding with) got to chatting with the bartender. By the end of the night, they had traded drinks for Wisconsin cheese which we mailed out to them when we got home. Who knew cheese could be currency!

We could trade cheeses...:)

Addie, the Trader Joe's we shop at (Shrewsbury) has Tillamook original cheddar all the time. Maybe one of your kids could check a bigger TJ's in close to you to see if they have it and if they ever get the sharper or smoked versions. Good luck!

Smoked Gouda, room temp, over all other cheeses. I like it with Granny Smith apple slices. I don't like to put it in anything like sandwiches, casseroles, etc.

I am fond of most cheeses, have never tried Limburger and can't abide goat cheese.
Goats cheese is one of those things I wish I liked because some of the dishes sound delicious. However, just the smell of the stuff makes me heave. Smells just like goats smell. Ugh!

I have had some nice goat's milk cheese. But, I find that even the ones that are only mildly "goaty" get to be more than I want after I've eaten it for a day or three.

My short list:

• Delice de Bourgogne. French triple cream cow's milk. My all-time favorite.
  • Humboldt Fog. California goat milk cheese. Very decadent.
  • Manchego
  • Any good aged Wisconsin Cheddar
  • Fresh squeaky cheese curds from Carr Valley Creamery in Wisconsin
  • Point Reyes or Maytag Blue
  • Fresh Mozzarella di Bufalo. Sliced and served atop a fresh heirloom tomato slice, with just a sprinkle of salt and fresh ground pepper.

I like all of them at about room temperature.

Ooh, I forgot to list Manchego and Humboldt Fog. Love them!

Except----- for a cheese I tried years ago and can't remember the name of now. It was European, had a dark brown rind. That cheese was so bad I threw it away after one bite, and it was expensive. For a person that loves Limburger it had to taste pretty bad! At least for my taste. Wish I could remember the name.

It wouldn't have been Emmentaler would it. The Swiss variety can be very pungent.

I prefer the Allgauer Emmentaler which is quite a bit milder. Also Bierkase and Camembert are among our favorites.

It wouldn't have been Emmentaler would it. The Swiss variety can be very pungent.

No, because I've had Emmentaler and love it. The cheese I didn't like was about 2 inches by 3 inches (just a guess) dark brown/yellow rind and no holes in it. And horrible! :LOL:

Addie, the Trader Joe's we shop at (Shrewsbury) has Tillamook original cheddar all the time. Maybe one of your kids could check a bigger TJ's in close to you to see if they have it and if they ever get the sharper or smoked versions. Good luck!

Thank you. Spike works out in the Newton area all the time and I know there is a TJ's in that area.

Oh Spike, dear sweet son of mine, I have an errand for you to do. :angel:

PF, I'm happy to send out our nice, creamy cheeses. I wish curds would make it to people still squeaky. They lose it after a day though ...

Addie, if you have Sam's by you, they carry several Tillamook lines (at least by us). It could be because they are actually packaged here in Wisconsin at the Marathon Cheese plant, just a short 20 miles from me.

I am not kidding when I say I am in the heart of cheese country :rolleyes:

PF, I'm happy to send out our nice, creamy cheeses. I wish curds would make it to people still squeaky. They lose it after a day though ...

Addie, if you have Sam's by you, they carry several Tillamook lines (at least by us). It could be because they are actually packaged here in Wisconsin at the Marathon Cheese plant, just a short 20 miles from me.

I am not kidding when I say I am in the heart of cheese country :rolleyes:

Sadly, when I lived in Wisconsin, I did not appreciate the wonderful cheesy bounty. Velveeta was about it for a poor college kid.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom