How do you like your cheese?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chief Longwind Of The North

Certified/Certifiable
How do you like your favorite cheese, and what kind is it?

Though I am a true cheesehead, and adore most kinds of cheese, my favorites are:
1. an old Cheddar, aged 5 years or more, and served up room temperature, and in thin slices. Though this is usually served up as an appy, with some good crackers, or fresh strawberries, I like to just eat a slice, all by its lonesome self. I nibble it, and let the full flavor, and crunch of the minerals do magical thins to my senses. I close my eyes and enjoy a piece of greatness.
2. a well aged Sharp Pinconning, that has so much bite, it makes your jaw muscles ache, and curls your toes. Serve it up at room temp, as with the above listed cheddar.
3. A full bodied Swiss, again at room temperature, and either all by itself, or on a magnificent Rueben.
4. Good Colby - a snacking cheese to be eaten with chips and such, while playing Monopoly, or Risk, or Uno, Scrabble, etc.
5. Gruyere, or Havarti, on sandwiches, or in a sauce.
6. Parmigiano Regiano, freshly grated onto the the Ceascar's Salad served at North 82 in Sault Ste. Marie, ONT, with the amazing house dressing that they make.
7. Freshly grated Parmigiano Regiano over virtually any kind of pasta, especially with a tomato based sauce.
8. Pecorino Romano, served up like Parmigiano Regiano
9. Asiago grated fresh over penne pasta with a light cream sauce
10. Velveeta, cut thick, and melted in a grilled cheese sandwich, or better yet, between two slices of French Toast, with ham, all swimming in pure, maple syrup.

Ok, that's my top ten, at least for today. What's yours?

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Last edited:
I like almost every kind of cheese and I like them room temp.

It would be hard for me to pick my favorite, because that might change day to day as recipes and taste buds evolve. :)

Sorry to be so wishy-washy :) (I'm not normally) but those are the facts.

Except----- for a cheese I tried years ago and can't remember the name of now. It was European, had a dark brown rind. That cheese was so bad I threw it away after one bite, and it was expensive. For a person that loves Limburger it had to taste pretty bad! At least for my taste. Wish I could remember the name.

We both love cheese. If we only have 4-6 chunks of cheese, we worry that there isn't enough cheese. :rolleyes:

My all time favourite has to be triple cream Brie or Camembert. :pig:

• Pecorino Romana
  • Gruyère
  • A nice stinky Danish cheese (I don't mean the blue one, even though I almost always have some of that at home.)
  • Stilton, I have only had that once, in a fancy resto as part of cheese platter as dessert. I had no idea it would be so wonderful.

There are loads of other cheeses that I really enjoy, but those are my current favourites.

Smoked Gouda, room temp, over all other cheeses. I like it with Granny Smith apple slices. I don't like to put it in anything like sandwiches, casseroles, etc.

I am fond of most cheeses, have never tried Limburger and can't abide goat cheese.

I used to eat a lot of cheese, but it was mostly mozzarella or swiss. I would say the swiss was my favorite. I no longer eat a lot of cheese. At parties, my DIL always has a nice selecting of unusual cheeses for slicing with crackers. I like to try them all. Just don't keep it in the house much.

I love cheese. Some of my favorites are:
Parmigiano Reggiano
Extra sharp cheddar
Goat cheese
Smoked gouda
Pepper Jack

I love lots of cheeses. BUT my favs are Danish or mild blue cheese (Trader Joe's cave aged blue is a fav) and Brie. I like to eat those two together room temp and spread on slices of a nice crusty loaf of bread.

Here is a picture of a recent dinner platter of an assortment of cheeses, meats and fruit - brie, gouda, smoked gouda, blue cheese, cheddar cheese, Wispride port wine cheese spread (I couldn't find regular port wine so this was a sub), pepperoni, dry Italian sausage, red seedless grapes, Paula Red apples, stone wheat thins (I love these crackers and are my fav cracker to eat with cheese because they don't over power the cheese) and sliced Italian bread.

img_1349817_0_f284556898bb113938fb181f57decaee.jpg

Nice plate, MsM!

Mmm, cheese. Stupid high blood pressure.

Gruyere, smoked cheddar and gouda, parmegianno regianno, Maytag Bleu, Velveeta!, the Canadian cheese spread my mom loved so much (Empress?), cream cheese with stuff mixed in....the list is endless.

Never could get into goat cheese, it always tastes so "goaty" to me.

Last edited:
Never could get into goat cheese, it always tastes so "goaty" to me.

I thought so too until I had really fresh goat cheese from a neighbor who raised goats and made her own cheese. There are several/many brands that don't have that goaty taste to them.

I thought so too until I had really fresh goat cheese from a neighbor who raised goats and made her own cheese. There are several/many brands that don't have that goaty taste to them.

I last bought some from a farmers market, and the seller swore there were no billy goats around his nannies. It still tasted goaty. :LOL:

I'm a big fan of old, dry, slightly crumbly, New York State cheddar cheese at room temperature served with crispy crackers and a nice quality strawberry jam.

The combination of cheddar cheese and strawberry jam is said to be a favorite of President Jimmy Carter, I guess he got tired of peanut butter! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

I also like a nice ripe Stilton served with great ceremony in a fancy old restaurant.

The little chunks of Stilton from the grocery store just don't taste the same as a generous scoop served by a handsome young waiter from a large ripe wheel wrapped in a snow white napkin with the soft glow of candlelight and no thought of the gigantic bill soon to arrive, at the end of the meal! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

I don't believe I've ever had a cheese I don't like but I do have my fav's.

1. Bleu cheese
2. Brie
3. Sharp Cheddar
4. A herbed cream cheese (Boursin), on anything including mixed into mashed potato's.
5. An aged Gruyere that I get from Wholefoods that is sooo good!

Gouda and Compte are my favorites

Also

Mimolette
Aged asiago
Aged Gouda
Manchego
Jarlesberg
Neil's Yard (or similar) cheddar
Halloumi (grilled)
Kasseri

And for blues

Maytag
Great Hill ( my friends sister makes it)

Room temp and not a traditional "stinky" cheese. Not a fan of the bleus, although I do enjoy the blues. ;) You can have my share of Raclette or Taleggio.

Like others, my #1 favorite changes from day to day. If I had my own cheese cave I'd probably include Havarti, Gouda (including smoked), Jarlsberg and Guggisberg swiss along with a sharper swiss, quality parmigiana reggiano, Boursin, and my favorite ~ Fontina. Today. It might be something else tomorrow. :LOL: Oo, Oo, and I forgot Neufchatel with honey and walnuts on bagels. Yum!

I reserve the right to add to this list as my taste buds remind me of more favorites..

Last edited:
My short list:

• Delice de Bourgogne. French triple cream cow's milk. My all-time favorite.
  • Humboldt Fog. California goat milk cheese. Very decadent.
  • Manchego
  • Any good aged Wisconsin Cheddar
  • Fresh squeaky cheese curds from Carr Valley Creamery in Wisconsin
  • Point Reyes or Maytag Blue
  • Fresh Mozzarella di Bufalo. Sliced and served atop a fresh heirloom tomato slice, with just a sprinkle of salt and fresh ground pepper.

I like all of them at about room temperature.

Last edited:
St Agur...French Blue
Champfleury...soft orange rind from Quebec. Best after the best before date..
Sicilian Pecorino..full of black peppercorns...shave it with a carrot peeler and let it melt in your mouth..
Very old Cheddar....
Every other type of cheese....:yum:

I haven't met a cheese I didn't like except for Headcheese and Limburger. It just depends what I'm doing with it ... My absolute favorites, though, are the sharp cheddar and colby cheeses made by local creameries. Our cows have a higher butter fat content so tends to be creamier. And did you know Colby is named after the town 2 miles from my house? I drive by the original factory when I pick berries. Theres your fun facts for the day :)

Back
Top Bottom