How to heat milk on stovetop without burning?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

danbuter

Senior Cook
Is there a trick to this? Every time I try it, the milk on the bottom burns to the pan. I guess I just have to stand there moving the pan while it heats?

Lower heat. Don't use high, use medium and stir lots. There is also a little diffuser thing you can put on the element under your pot that will help.

icrowave and double boiler both work great. If you don't have a double boiler, use a stainless steel bowl and place it inside a pot of boiling water. It's best when the bowl rim, or sides of the bowl nestle against the pot rim, keeping the bowl slightly above the water.

If you don't have any of the above, place an aluminum pan over the heat, and place your pan of milk on top of the aluminum pan. This will diffuse the heat, making it less likely that you will scorch the milk. Cook over medium heat.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

If you don't have any of the above, place an aluminum pan over the heat, and place your pan of milk on top of the aluminum pan. This will diffuse the heat, making it less likely that you will scorch the milk. Cook over medium heat.
Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Cast iron works really well also.

Back
Top Bottom