How to make scrambled eggs?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Normally, it is best to store eggs in the carton in the fridge but I figured with the freshness of your eggs and the rapid turnover, it won't matter too much how you store them provided the weather/kitchen doesn't get too hot. Ceiling hook with a long chain? Got your laundry next to your kitchen? Walk in pantry?

I realized late yesterday that I do have a space for a hanging basket. I created a spot when I bought a cabinet for my breadmaker and flours, so I can hang a basket above that. I've always wanted one of those anyway.

Cool Pacanis!! Just a little suggestion though, if you do put your eggs in the wire basket. Line the basket though just in case you get a pressure crack in an egg. It might help prevent a mess in your kitchen!! A clean tea-towel or dish cloth or even a couple of paper doilies. Don't know if that will put you off the idea but I'd rather suggest it now than after you buy one.

This is the way I do this dish, they come consistently good:

I mix eggs, salt, pepper, and milk (if desired, for me no milk is just fine) in a bowl and whisk very lightly. Too much beating can coagulate the eggs proteins, making the eggs too hard before they are cooked, more appropriate for an omellette than to be scrambled.
I use a cooper (tin lined) fry pan of a small size if it is for two eggs -so they don't spread out too thin- over medium heat.
This probably means that on other type of pan heat should be high.
I rub the end of a stick of butter on the surface of the pan for an even coating and cook the eggs for less than a minute, keeping the eggs in constant motion.
If eggs are stirred, they won't be as fluffy. If eggs are folded, they will have more volume.

One of my daughters doesn't like fluffy eggs, in that case I wisk them harder before cooking and stir them on the pan similar to Caine's description.
The result are denser eggs and much smaller in volume.
IMO, the secret is in using high even heat, the cooper pan helps a lot to achieve this.

eggs

here's what I 've found to make perfectly wonderful. For my husband and me, I take 3 eggs and beat slightly. In the meantime, I heat up my 11 inch wonderfully seasoned cast iron pan (it's over 50 yr. old ) and add 1/2 t. olive oil to film the bottom. I let it heat just until it starts to smoke. Then I turn it off and pour the eggs into it, pull the eggs back until just beginning to be firm. I fold them in half and then get them out of the pan immediately to keep them fromcooking any more. By the time they get to the table, they're just right. In the meantime, there is nothing left to cleanup in the pan. It never sticks. That and the fact that those brown eggs from the neighbor are doubly delicious!

That and the fact that those brown eggs from the neighbor are doubly delicious!

I'll second that! I can't believe how much better tasting fresh eggs are. Neither could my neighbor when I gave them a dozen last week.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom