Jarlsburg

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It just says Jarlsberg-Original, Tine, Norway. The moisture is 45%, fat is 27%. TL, is the sliced stuff you got the same? Sorry I can't be more helpful.
Yup. But it also says "made by Tine SA, Oslo, Norway". Tine must be the brand name.

Yup. But it also says "made by Tine SA, Oslo, Norway". Tine must be the brand name.
Your wrapper has more information--mine just says Tine, and under that, Norway. Interesting. DL, I didn't include the french that was on the wrapper (bought it in PQ).

Your wrapper has more information--mine just says Tine, and under that, Norway. Interesting. DL, I didn't include the french that was on the wrapper (bought it in PQ).
Yeah, well, including the French would have been excess typing and I don't think anyone on DC reads French better than English, with the possible exception of Rocklobster, and his English is danged good.

I didn't know going to Costco was on today's Agenda. The DxW doesn't always clue me in too far in advance of anything for reasons too numerous to mention. :ermm: It's a good thing I like Surprises. ;) Anyway, I picked up a 2 + pound Surprise at Costco - Says the same thing as everyone else's label = Jarlsberg / Tine Norway. The rest of the label is in English only/ no French. And I think Minnesota was founded by French missionaries ( after the Native Americans, that is) followed by a lot of Scandanavians. Now I almost feel cheated on Historical Labelinng Practices. Later on in the day, I picked up a loaf of St Agnes Sourdough made in St Paul. I guess that makes things ok again. :)

What's the brand name, CWS? This sounds like a good sub for Gruyere, which is almost impossible to find around here. :yum:

Here is what the packaging logo looks like, this is the only brand that I have ever seen.

It is sooo good, and very easy to find here.

Jarlsberg+Logo.jpg

Yep BakeChef. That's the label all right. Same in every grocery store here. If they are everywhere, maybe they are bigger than Kraft. Who knew.

yup, gonna be a jarlsburg, and black forest ham sammich, bing cherry compote, on butter pressed sourdough, with some whole grain mustard on the side for lunch.

oh man, my turn to do the homer drool, "aghlghlglghlglh".

that sounds incredible!

i love me a good holey cheese. it's a through-hiker's favourite cheese on the appalachian trail.

Well, it would seem that all Jarlsberg cheese has that branding...

Jarlsberg.com | frontpage

Jarlsberg cheese - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Duh--it would seem that if it is Jarlsberg, it has to come from Tine, Norway, otherwise it isn't true Jarlsberg. I was surprised that it is the #3 export from Norway.

I want IMPORTED Jarlsburg. Not made in America. The grass that the cows eat affects the flavor of the end product. I want Norwegian grass flavor in my Jarlsburg cheese. Ohio? I don't think so. :rolleyes:

Is there American Jarlsberg? I'm going to check the cheese shops down in the market for the smoked Jarlsberg next time I get into the heart of the city. It won't be anytime soon, one outing where I had to get "cleaned up" in the month is enough!

Last edited:
Take a look at the Wikipedia link. There is a consortium in Ohio that is licensed by Tine to make Jarlsburg in America. I want Norwegian grass flavor in my Norwegian product. Not Ohio.
The least Tine could have done was license it in a state known for dairy--VT, Wisconsin...or known for having a bunch of Scandahovians--Minne-SOOOOT-AH or Washington State.

Ditto. Ohio has a lot of German Mennonites. :rolleyes:
When I take the train to MN from NY, a lot of Amish get on the train in Ohio (now that's a group not represented on this forum--the Amish...too bad, we all could learn a thing or two from them but I guess they can't go to the library and use the computer--unlike pay phones). I always seem to end up seated with them in the dining car. Fascinating folks with whom to chat. I've learned lots about chickens while riding the rails.

Last edited:
When I take the train to MN from NY, a lot of Amish get on the train in Ohio (now that's a group not represented on this forum--the Amish...too bad, we all could learn a thing or two from them but I guess they can't go to the library and use the computer--unlike pay phones). I always seem to end up seated with them in the dining car. Fascinating folks with whom to chat. I've learned lots about chickens while riding the rails.

Next you will be making Hobo Stew.

oh man, my turn to do the homer drool, "aghlghlglghlglh".

that sounds incredible!

i love me a good holey cheese. it's a through-hiker's favourite cheese on the appalachian trail.
that's 'cos the holes make it lighter to carry tom:ermm:
truly a delicious cheese & the packaging in the pics is the same over here too

Back
Top Bottom