Learned something about scrambled eggs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SizzlininIN

Master Chef
In all the years I've been cooking I never knew this. Did you know that you should scramble your eggs with water because they'll come out fluffier. I'd always used milk like mom did. Def. going to experiment next time I make scrambled eggs just to see if there really is that much difference.

I always scramble mine with only eggs. Never knew any other way although I often wondered why they were different in the restaurants. How much milk/water per egg? Do you mix it in while cooking or before?

Mr_Dove said:
I always scramble mine with only eggs. Never knew any other way although I often wondered why they were different in the restaurants. How much milk/water per egg? Do you mix it in while cooking or before?

That reminds me of a funny story from my youth. My mother was in the hospital and my siblings were in town and I decided to fix everyone breakfast. Well I took a dozen eggs and whipped them up not using any milk just only the eggs. Well I cooked them up and when I put them on the plate I realized there wasn't very much to go around. Everyone was like....sis how many eggs did you use and I told them a 12 well they then asked me if I added milk when beating them up. Well of course not I mean I was like 12 and didn't know you were suppose to. Well they all got a laugh out of it and of course served them up a mini portion of eggs. After that mom showed me how to make them. Well then I was just watching t.v. and saw where a chef said to beat your eggs with a little water to make them fluffy vs. using milk.

I never measure when I added the milk so I'm not sure the exact amount for water either. I just add a good splash.....guessing I'd say 1/8 cup to 4 eggs.

Crack the eggs and then add the water and then beat them.

the creamiest smoothest scrambled eggs are done in a teflon sauce pan, gently heating, folding with a rubber spatula. No milk, a little water if you like. salt pepper so good

I have always used water - I'm not a scrambled egg person so I couldn't tell you the difference - but I scramble mostly eggs - a tiny bit of water for the family.

jennyema said:
Water = Fluffy

Milk = Creamy

So at these brunch buffets in the US (usually at hotels from what I know), their eggs are always really rich and creamy. I always thought they were just undercooking by a minute or two. But they are using milk to get this texture. This is a great thread!! I'm learning a bunch!

My dad taught me milk with omelettes, water with scrambled eggs.

For a long time, scrambled eggs were the only thing I'd cook, with my "secret" ingredient that I came up with when I was about 8. I always put a pinch of nutmeg in, but I only told my parents that I only put seasoned salt and cinnamon in.
It's probably been a year or two at least since I've made them...

SizzlininIN said:
In all the years I've been cooking I never knew this. Did you know that you should scramble your eggs with water because they'll come out fluffier. I'd always used milk like mom did. Def. going to experiment next time I make scrambled eggs just to see if there really is that much difference.

As a matter of fact, I did learn that here on DC, and it's' true. I always used milk, but I find water is much better. Why, I have no idea :LOL:

Have done all three ways, no addition, water and milk.

I like the water.

If I am just making plain old scrambled eggs.

But usually add other things to the eggs, like cheese, shrooms, you name it and with those it doesn't make any difference.

One of my favorites is scrambled eggs with shrooms, crumbled bacon, and spinach.

But that is a totally different thread I suppose.

Take care.

I have used all the methods... but the eggs taste different to me when i add water or milk. i don't like it at all. anyone else have this experience when adding liquid to their scrambled eggs?

The best scrambled eggs are with sour milk! Yes, sour milk!
A chef in Tampa served me at his home just the fluffiest and finest tasting scrambled eggs for breakfast one time. Of course I asked questions, the results have been with me ever since.

I've heard of ading baking powder into eggs. Never tried it myself. I always used milk for scrambled eggs and water for steamed eggs... I'll go try it then... Dying for a snack anyway.

Yes, that is the way to get a very smooth omelette also. Just a little water tosmooth out the mixture. I rarely bother with it for scrambling eggs since they will be a bit broken up anyway. And NEVER milk--makes them watery.

Back
Top Bottom